• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Radiator Fan Working Continuously On Ek 3

sampath2829

Dear all,

Just bought my first civic. YOM 96 EK3 EXI. Great experience comparing to previous Astina. Please advise me on following matters.

1. Radiator fan is working continuously. It was bypassed from the fan control thermostat switch. I thought it might be something wrong with the thermostat and replace it with a new one. But the fan did not switch on. What might be the reason for this?
  2. Also is there any place to buy a original fog light set?

Well come to forum & congratz on your Buy Mate...

for your 1 issue did you check the sensor which controll the fan kick on & off? it seems the sensor for me as you have already replace the thermostat.

2. Are you locate in colombo? if so walk in darly road you might able to find one very easily also in just have a look in popular classified websites..

Well come to forum & congratz on your Buy Mate...

for your 1 issue did you check the sensor which controll the fan kick on & off? it seems the sensor for me as you have already replace the thermostat.

2. Are you locate in colombo? if so walk in darly road you might able to find one very easily also in just have a look in popular classified websites..

Thanks a lot.

Actually I replaced the sensor (i mean thermostat in first post) which on & off the fan. but fan does not on. what will be the reason for this?

BTW is there a good garage in kandy area to make a full check up?

Dear all,

Just bought my first civic. YOM 96 EK3 EXI. Great experience comparing to previous Astina. Please advise me on following matters.

1. Radiator fan is working continuously. It was bypassed from the fan control thermostat switch. I thought it might be something wrong with the thermostat and replace it with a new one. But the fan did not switch on. What might be the reason for this?
  2. Also is there any place to buy a original fog light set?

Ok tell me this, from what I gather you removed the bypass from thermostat right, and the fan didn't work yes? Was the engine hot when you started? The fan will only work when it reaches a the running temperature which is good for the engine. I kinda had the same sort of issue with my Corolla so I had to run a direct fan, but later on when I took it to my electrician he just got me to sort out a problem in the AT transmission and hey presto it worked again (cant remember the issue since it was a good 3-4years back)

Ok tell me this, from what I gather you removed the bypass from thermostat right, and the fan didn't work yes? Was the engine hot when you started? The fan will only work when it reaches a the running temperature which is good for the engine. I kinda had the same sort of issue with my Corolla so I had to run a direct fan, but later on when I took it to my electrician he just got me to sort out a problem in the AT transmission and hey presto it worked again (cant remember the issue since it was a good 3-4years back)

I removed the bypass and run the engine until temp meter reaches more than three quarter. But fan didn't turn on. Then I replaced the thermostat switch (the fan control thermostat) with a new one and run the engine again. But fan didn't on until the temp meter reaches maximum level.

I removed the bypass and run the engine until temp meter reaches more than three quarter. But fan didn't turn on. Then I replaced the thermostat switch (the fan control thermostat) with a new one and run the engine again. But fan didn't on until the temp meter reaches maximum level.

So there you have the problem, its the thermostat switch or there is an issue in your temperature meter.

So there you have the problem, its the thermostat switch or there is an issue in your temperature meter.

While fully agreeing with above, what did the temperature meter indicate when you were running with the switch bypassed? If it indicated at the half mark then it is very likely your meter has a fault. I have one more question. How about your coolant path? Is your radiator fully sealed so that after a run it sucks up coolant properly from the fill up tank?

Check whether there is a relay to regulate the fan speed. May be your lower level setting is not working. Happened to me once..

While fully agreeing with above, what did the temperature meter indicate when you were running with the switch bypassed? If it indicated at the half mark then it is very likely your meter has a fault. I have one more question. How about your coolant path? Is your radiator fully sealed so that after a run it sucks up coolant properly from the fill up tank?

when running with switch bypassed the teperature meter stays around one quarter level and sometimes goes little higher when traveling long distance or traveling mountains. Radiator works fine i think as there is no noticable coolent reduction in fillup tank or radiator. Do you think the problem is in the thremostat switch?

when running with switch bypassed the teperature meter stays around one quarter level and sometimes goes little higher when traveling long distance or traveling mountains. Radiator works fine i think as there is no noticable coolent reduction in fillup tank or radiator. Do you think the problem is in the thremostat switch?

Yes. when I sum up your observations the only conclusion I can arrive at is that the switch is not operating at 90C.

Well you can test the switch by putting it in a pot of hot water (on top of a stove) with a themometer on and test for completion of circuit as the water warms up. Also test the thermostatic valve.

Where does the switch plug into (radiator or the water line?). Check if the hot water path to the switch is blocked or bypassed

Hello all, Sorry for interrupting. I own a year 2000 Corolla 110 and even I have faced the same problem. Radiator fan keeps working continuously without stopping.

I hope you mean that the fan kicks in as soon as you switch on ignition. If so either 1. someone must have bypassed the thermostat switch or 2. the switch is faulty or 3. the fan relay is faulty. If it is 1 you can visually check the wiring and the connector( if that is the case you will have to reconnect it and see. Usually you need to replace the switch). If it is 2 you can disconnect the switch connector and see if the fan stops. If so replace the switch. For 3 you need to first identify the relay and see if that relay contact is permanently stuck (bit unlikely but can happen).

• Like 1

Kandy + Honda = Priyantha @ Mawilmada (Honda Priyantha).

I dont own a Honda but i have been at his place for day-to-day repairs. Good fellow.

Yes I owned a Civic 96 and when I was at Kandy, did all the repairs by Priyantha, a good fellow, but don't let him to touch the distributor related items. You will surely end up with replacing the distributor. :)

I hope you mean that the fan kicks in as soon as you switch on ignition. If so either 1. someone must have bypassed the thermostat switch or 2. the switch is faulty or 3. the fan relay is faulty. If it is 1 you can visually check the wiring and the connector( if that is the case you will have to reconnect it and see. Usually you need to replace the switch). If it is 2 you can disconnect the switch connector and see if the fan stops. If so replace the switch. For 3 you need to first identify the relay and see if that relay contact is permanently stuck (bit unlikely but can happen).

Thanks a lot for your valuable and useful advices. will check those and update. Thanks

Edited by Udaya Dissanayake

Rumesh88,

Your advices are very correct. I like to add one more thing for beginners’ to check the wiring.

If you connect 12 Volts bulb or volt meter, to the wire ends connected to the motor by removing them from the motor.

Switch on the Ignition switch when the engine is cold. Bulb lights or meter reads.Fault can be on the wiring side.

Thermostat switch also can be tested when the engine is cold connecting the terminal ends to a Meter. Check the continuity of the switch.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 7 months later...

Dear All,

Finally managed to solve the issue. The problem was is the thermostat switches itself which i bought from local auto spears shop. Replaced few times and every time it it works for few hours or did not work at all. Able to find used original one and all working fine. Considerable improvement on fuel efficiency also noted.

Hope this will help some one !

I had direct fan and temperature gauge low when I was buying my opel car which is EFI (Corsa B 1995, 1200cc, Manual)

Replaced radiator thermo switch, after then fan kick in after some time but engine got over heated.

Later I found (after ECU scan) its engine coolent temperature sensor (CTS) not working and replaced it, but issue over heating continues. so checked my coolent lines, and clean the radiator, they (at radiator cleanup) said my thermo-stat valve halfway clogged, need to remove or replace,

I replaced it and now my car runs well and give better mileage 16-18Km/l out station without A/C (it was less than 10Km/l and abused by previouse owners when I was buying)

Bottom line if your car not drinking engine oil or coolent it is perfect, so just tune it back to OEM spec.

Guys,

I have a carina AT-170 and I have the same problem.

Read thru this post and understood what I should do. Should basically check the thermostat and the way the radiator fan is wired in.

Just a small question tho, say the engine is old (true with my car and a wee bit under compression) is there a chance that the car will over heat if the fan switches on via the thermostat. Basically, I recently bought the car, can it be that the previous owner gave the current direct to the fan, due to an overheating issue?

Apologies if its a ridiculous question. :sad-smiley-067:

Edited by kalingabd

Guys,

I have a carina AT-170 and I have the same problem.

Read thru this post and understood what I should do. Should basically check the thermostat and the way the radiator fan is wired in.

Just a small question tho, say the engine is old (true with my car and a wee bit under compression) is there a chance that the car will over heat if the fan switches on via the thermostat. Basically, I recently bought the car, can it be that the previous owner gave the current direct to the fan, due to an overheating issue?

Apologies if its a ridiculous question. :sad-smiley-067:

No it is not a ridiculous question at all. If the radiator fan had been directly wired previously it could be to circumvent a problem in other parts of the cooling system. Now that your fan is directly wired where does your temperature gauge stand during a drive in traffic under hot sun or climbing uphill at a place like from Beragala to Haputale? If it is still below the half-mark on the gauge then you can wire the fan through a thermostat switch with a reasonable degree of confidence because there is some head-room to play with. Otherwise your need to check if your radiator is clogged up, water pump impeller is OK, your engine timing is correct etc.

• Like 1