• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Pulling To The Left

SeanD

Question

Hello all

Vehicle: Kia Sorrento 2011 model. Vehicle tends to pull a few degrees to the left for some time now. Wheel alignment (front and rear) and balance checked and confirmed it is in order (Autodrome). Yet the problem does not seem to have gone away. No visible deformity of wheels and car has not been driven at speed through any potholes (to my knowledge). Also, the steering does not vibrate when pulling to the left, but steering just seems happier that way.

Any suggestions as to what could be wrong, and where I can get this checked for further diagnosis (other than for KIA agent?)

12 answers to this question

what kind of observation did you make to think that your "Vehicle Pulling To The Left".

(how did you identify this?).

I am not sure, but i have heard that when steering wheel is free, vehicle will automatically pull it self to the left side (opposite direction from incoming lane ) as a safety feature.

But i don't know that this might be a myth.

anyway , check for a break-binding in left side (you may feel a temperature difference in two rims).

Edited by MV-5

1. Break wear uneven (like mv5 said)

2. Road camber. All roads are convex on cut section. So it's natural to pull to left.

3. Torque steer.

Re check the alignment elsewhere. Try a non laser/digital/star wars place.

Check your brakes

Run about a 1000km and check for uneven tyre wear.

Hello all

Vehicle: Kia Sorrento 2011 model. Vehicle tends to pull a few degrees to the left for some time now. Wheel alignment (front and rear) and balance checked and confirmed it is in order (Autodrome). Yet the problem does not seem to have gone away. No visible deformity of wheels and car has not been driven at speed through any potholes (to my knowledge). Also, the steering does not vibrate when pulling to the left, but steering just seems happier that way.

Any suggestions as to what could be wrong, and where I can get this checked for further diagnosis (other than for KIA agent?)

You need to go to a place with a bit more expertise with vehicle geometry than the agents. Car care and a wheel alignment place in Walana (search the forum) has proven to be quite good at solving these issues. Most of the time the issue is either camber or castor, items which most manufacturers don't allow adjustment of. These guys have hydraulic pullers which can make adjustments to these as well, which are the results of our bad roads.

Members,

Moderator Don post about manufacturers don't allow adjustment of. (Toe-in/Toe-out)

Some times these can be adjusted by very good Technician who understand about working of the system.

I had a problem in a vehicle one tire was wasting inside of the wheel only on one front wheel.

Every 2500 Kilometers I change the side of the tire and run the vehicle. With tire rotation.

All 4 tires had this problem. later I corrected same by adjusting.Front strut with the spring instead of pulling same.

Adjusting the front three studs which fix the strut with the spring to the body. By the old method of using a Plumb Line and corrected same.

After that I never had the tire wasting from inside. My problem was negative camber. To my Knowledge it has to be positive camber.

I don't think it is advisable to use hydraulic puller to adjust same.

Google pictures of camber. Members can get a very good information.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

If not a hydraulic puller then how would you recommend this is fixed (if in fact it is the problem)? Any locations you can recommend.

MV-5: Mainly, the steering wheel does not seem "comfortable" being in the dead straight position and there is mild resistance when driving to keep it in that position; should I let it go it will lock in slightly turned left a few degrees. This is enough to end up with the car running off the lane if driven 20m or so like this. I do not recall this occurring until of late.

Komi- Road camber is what I thought earlier as well. However, trying to locate a straight enough stretch that I can run the vehicle far enough to notice whether this is happening.

As recommended by all of you, I will first check the brakes and wheels, then proceed to car care or any other highly recommended location for further tests. My experience thus far with the agents has been less than impressive, so really would not want to go there unless I have no choice.

Quick question, did you change the exchange the tyres after the alignment? If you had the problem sometime, your tyres may already have uneven wear over the period. Just exchange your tyres and observe any change in the pattern.

No I had them rotated before the alignment.However, I will swap the front two wheels and retry.

If not a hydraulic puller then how would you recommend this is fixed (if in fact it is the problem)? Any locations you can recommend.

MV-5: Mainly, the steering wheel does not seem "comfortable" being in the dead straight position and there is mild resistance when driving to keep it in that position; should I let it go it will lock in slightly turned left a few degrees. This is enough to end up with the car running off the lane if driven 20m or so like this. I do not recall this occurring until of late.

Komi- Road camber is what I thought earlier as well. However, trying to locate a straight enough stretch that I can run the vehicle far enough to notice whether this is happening.

As recommended by all of you, I will first check the brakes and wheels, then proceed to car care or any other highly recommended location for further tests. My experience thus far with the agents has been less than impressive, so really would not want to go there unless I have no choice.

SenaD,

Only way is to shift he top of Suspension, little to words the side which needs adjustment.

Positive camber out little. negative in little.Until you get the correct Angle.

If you want to see the vehicle I have done that please contact me.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

SeanD, there is no issues using a puller if the cause of the problem is bent suspension, which as you can imagine is quite common. The technicians do not use pullers to correct issues beyond a certain tollerance. For that they advice a mechanic to dismantle the suspension or replacement.

If the issue is camber, there are adjustment systems provided for most makes. But this is only necessary if you have replaced the wheels with ones with a higher or lower diameter than the manufacturer wheels. Personally I would take the car to one of the two places I mentioned and let them figure out what has happened to the suspension geometry.

Members,

I extend the strut holes for to get the correct angle. What I have done for vehicles for last 50 years or more to adjust the correct Strut angle.

Never used a puller for that. Using a puller is not advisable that can create more problems.To my Knowledge.

If any member wants I can email the pictures successfully done for years.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

i remeber my dad adjusted his car by using strings along the tiers and a laser light... he loosened a bolt near the wheel (underneath) and shook the wheel a little .... i think it was the tie rod..