• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Walkie Talkie - Short Distance

Nishan.dj

Question

Hi friends,

Kindly post if you have experience of getting down a walkie talkie set (2 radios without a repeater) from ebay or somewhere. May be a kids one that can communicate within a range of 100m - 1km or so. I do not have any idea whether we have to take special permission for that as it is kind of a kids toy such as these. I couldn't find a place here is Colombo that I can buy and may be if it is not causing any legal matters, thinking of ordering via ebay. Thanks a lot in advance.

11 answers to this question

I think you need to get permission....So before buy, check with TRC.

You can send them the specs and see what they are saying....

Reason you might not see walkie talkies at toy shops may be because they need licenses.

Check with TRC

http://www.trc.gov.lk/index.php/contact-us.html

If your requirement is temporary, even you can hire a set. (Recentlly I saw such local advertiesment appered in a newspaper.)

Hope Rumesh can help you.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

TRC will never give permission for something like this. You will need to get a license first. It's better if you get it hand carried to Sri Lanka.

Try not to buy it unless it's really necessary. If it interferes with a military communication, then they might come looking for you.

Honestly, unless there's a large group who need to be in touch all the time, I think in this day and age mobile phones are more beneficial (full duplex vs semi-duplex).

And it can't be that walkie talkies are prohibited in Sri Lanka. I'm sure everyone remembers trunk-net being advertised on TV many years ago. And when in school i recall using walkie talkies when managing large events.

Honestly, unless there's a large group who need to be in touch all the time, I think in this day and age mobile phones are more beneficial (full duplex vs semi-duplex).

And it can't be that walkie talkies are prohibited in Sri Lanka. I'm sure everyone remembers trunk-net being advertised on TV many years ago. And when in school i recall using walkie talkies when managing large events.

Its illegal to use a walkie talkie in sri lanka without a license from TRC. If you rent a walkie talkie, u rent the license as well. Anyone can apply for a license but the TRC will do their best to avoid giving u one

Its illegal to use a walkie talkie in sri lanka without a license from TRC. If you rent a walkie talkie, u rent the license as well. Anyone can apply for a license but the TRC will do their best to avoid giving u one

Actually that does make a lot of sense! :)

Crosswind is right on this. If your handcarried WT is maattu-fied at customs carrier will be in hot soup. Some laws still haven't been amended post war.

But they do have short range kiddies stuff at above outlets. Dunno what the logic behind that is. I remember my nieces playing with one of those sets not too long ago

Crosswind is right on this. If your handcarried WT is maattu-fied at customs carrier will be in hot soup. Some laws still haven't been amended post war.

But they do have short range kiddies stuff at above outlets. Dunno what the logic behind that is. I remember my nieces playing with one of those sets not too long ago

Devices that emit less than 200mW (EIRP - just a jargon, forget it) comes under low power devices and are treated as devices not requiring a license (that is a license like one given to telcos and broadcasters) in some frequency bands (Go to www.trcsl.gov.lk you can find some info but not all). But nevertheless they must get TRC approval when importing such devices.

Edited by Rumesh88

Hi friends,

Just saw a couple of walkie-talkies and those come with following specs;

Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-520MHz
Dual-Band Display, Dual Freq. Display, Dual-Standby
Output Power: 4/1 Watts
128 Channels50 CTCSS and 104 CDCSS
Built-in VOX Function
1750Hz Brust Tone
FM Radio (65.0MHz-108.0MHz)
LED Flashlight
Large LCD Display
High /Low RF Power Switchable
25KHz/12.5KHz Switchable
Emergency Alert
Low Battery Alert
Battery Saver
Time-out Timer
Keypad Lock
Monitor Channel
Channel Step: 2.5/5/6.25/10/12.5/25KHz
ROGER SET
Package Included,
UV-5R Two-way Radio
1800mAh Li-ion Battery
Dual Band Antenna
Earphone
Belt Clip
Hand Strap
Desktop Charger
Power Adapter
User Manual
::: Operational Range : 9 km - open range

But there is a problem for me to buy those because the person who sell those claims that TRC approval is not needed but has paid the taxes for the TRC. He's got the bill issued from TRC saying that this much of taxes has paid for the particular item. However, the reason as he mentioned for not requiring the approval is because those frequency ranges of those walkie-talkies are different than the military channels used in Sri Lanka. If you have any idea or facts knowing of those, please post a reply. Thanks.