• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Petition Hybrid

asanka791

Creating a petition here makes sense IMO, masses should be aware that vehicle importers are not going to sit idly thinking "this is our karma", instead they are trying and willing to do something against this. :) lets see what happens

So you want to reach the Masses? There is a better site named "Elakiri" for that purpose. Do not waste your time idling here.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Crishan" data-cid="271185" data-time="1422803122"><p>

So you want to reach the Masses? There is a better site named "Elakiri" for that purpose. Do not waste your time idling here.</p></blockquote>

Love you too.

Anyhoo, finance minister Ravi Karunanayake said he is ready for a discussion with affected people - ones who have already ordered a vehicle - on yesterday's "Rathu-ira" programme. (swarnawahini)

Well personally I don't see anything wrong with the change in tax rates.

We always had absurdly high vehicle taxes so why not hybrids.

Still even with the hike the govt has not made hybrids more expensive than ICE and they are still price competitive even in the mass market range.

So have we fixed the disparity in vehicle tax system ? Answer is not even close :)

In the old system an Audi A8 hybrid with its turbo downsized engine was taxed @ 60% and a maruti @ 170% which is absurd.

And even after the change Audi is @ 92% and maruti is @ 150%. So go figure !!!!!

In My opinion we should just scrap this engine CC based tax system and go to a flat rate like 100 or whatever.

It's fair for everyone as your tax bill is proportionate to the CIF.

However i think the govt should consider giving a waiver for people who have opened LCs at a reasonable date.

I know people who brought the their cars & opened LCs in December and could not get shipped them for various reasons.

They had no clue there was going to be a govt change @ that time.

But there should be no reprieve to people who opened LCs in the last 3 weeks before the budget. (After govt change)

Because whoever did not see the impending changes with the new govt & coming budget were either idiots or were intentionally rushing to get the LCs opened so that they could get a waiver incase the tax rates goes south.

Also charging a luxury tax based on engine capacity is completely rubbish!

• Like 1

In the UK hybrid cars cost more than normal cars, even with the government subsidies. In Sri Lanka its quite the opposite. Looking at the price scales its obvious that there was an anomaly. Now its being corrected, more or less in comparisson with other countries.

So if you want to save fuel buy a bicycle or walk to work.

Well this isn't the first time that drastic tax changes hit car imports. A grace period based on either the LC date or the shipment date would definitely be fair to the people who may end up getting stranded. But I don't think this is the right place to actually gain some traction on it.

Therefore, we implore that you consider our justified case and make an exemption on the announced tax increment for already ordered vehicles

Dude, this is not a govt site. This is just a car fans forum, its not a policy making body of the SL govt. I don't see the point.

Creating a petition here makes sense IMO, masses should be aware that vehicle importers are not going to sit idly thinking "this is our karma", instead they are trying and willing to do something against this. :) lets see what happens

Creating a petition might make sense. Not here. There are sites for that kinda thing.

Can other road users starta petition against the bloody moronic hybrid drivers here? Petition against the way they drive, against the way they drive with HIGH Beams on all night? against the hogging the road?

Specially Vezel owners

Totally agree, 318 semi-luxury, 320d not, CRV/ RAV 4/ X-Trail semi-luxury X3d, Q5 d not

our DMT doesn't seem to understand that now we get luxury cars with smaller engines too

We have sent a petition and we have taken all possible things. im just posting here for the benift of those who are having similar problems. Further i need to highlight that we not fools as you think. It is very sad to see some of idiots in this forum thinks that we have wasted all of our money just because of a car. but which is not the truth. anybody would spend according to their income. Paying 1 million in addition to expected amount is not bearable for most of people, Some idiots in this forum trying to make fun of someone getting into trouble. Further Thank you for all the guys who supported our work. Thank you and autolanka team for the support given

Specially Vezel owners

Tell me about it. What a bunch of wankers... no roadside etiquette at all.

Sometimes I wonder if they know that the High Beam switch exists.

High time our cops start charging them for dangerous driving in the night.

• Like 1

We have sent a petition and we have taken all possible things. im just posting here for the benift of those who are having similar problems. Further i need to highlight that we not fools as you think. It is very sad to see some of idiots in this forum thinks that we have wasted all of our money just because of a car. but which is not the truth. anybody would spend according to their income. Paying 1 million in addition to expected amount is not bearable for most of people, Some idiots in this forum trying to make fun of someone getting into trouble. Further Thank you for all the guys who supported our work. Thank you and autolanka team for the support given

So... let me get this right.. the idiots are those who mock you for wasting money or mocking you for not living within your means..... :)

• Like 1

Machang, spending on a car is fine and yes it sucks when taxes go up. But none of these affected "professionals" were born yesterday, right? I'm sure they are aware on how tax-structures change in SL overnight.

And let's be honest, a car isnt a necessity. It's a luxury. "Transport" is your necessity; and a necessity that can be fulfilled without going beyond your mans an borrowing money to the maximum possible limit. And what these members (including myself) find ridiculous is that the 'professionals' let their vanity and desires over power their logic and sensibility.

I too would normally be Hiken Puna at this 'petition' myself, but I have turned a new page in life by explaining this politely.

• Like 3

What I feel that the rationale behind all these initiatives is to control foreign reserves and limiting the outflow of national wealth out of the country. Government cannot please everyone, every socio-income levels from a single budget and there will be always benefited and losers. Sri Lanka’s foreign reserves are in extremely low level, and on urgent basis these types of measures have to be taken. On the other hand, Sri Lanka has been a country without policies for long long time. Therefore getting things on track will also take long time.

Looking at this current matter, government should look on it with some sensitivity. If they can decide not to apply new tax increase for people who has already placed their orders [who has open the LCs] or at least for the vehicles in the harbor/ships, it would be really great.

Machang, spending on a car is fine and yes it sucks when taxes go up. But none of these affected "professionals" were born yesterday, right? I'm sure they are aware on how tax-structures change in SL overnight.

And let's be honest, a car isnt a necessity. It's a luxury. "Transport" is your necessity; and a necessity that can be fulfilled without going beyond your mans an borrowing money to the maximum possible limit. And what these members (including myself) find ridiculous is that the 'professionals' let their vanity and desires over power their logic and sensibility.

I too would normally be Hiken Puna at this 'petition' myself, but I have turned a new page in life by explaining this politely.

Watchman - agreed on your point 100%. What is really required to focus is on the “Need”. I knew a friend who has virtually suicide because of bad budgeting. The maximum he could go with his savings was Rs. 2 million. However the guy was over the moon, and blindly leased balance Rs. 2.5 million and bought the car. The sweet tale only lasted three months and he has to face some really bad time. The monthly cash outflow was unbearable to him and now he is looking to sell the car. The joy he had on the day he has bought the car is gone forever, and now he is cursing it.

How does other countries work when it comes to vehicle tax ?

Do they have a flat rate for all vehicles ?

I think Japan has a system based on the dimension of the vehicle, im not very sure about this maybe iRage will know

How does other countries work when it comes to vehicle tax ?

Do they have a flat rate for all vehicles ?

Singapore has a couple of different taxes that apply. The main variable ones are Additional Registration Fee (ARF), emissions based tax, COE (certificate of entitlement) and a few other small taxes.

[1] ARF is a gradual step basis. Something like this:

Open Market Value (OMV) is something like CIF

First S$20,000 100%

Next S$30,000

(i.e. S$20,001 to S$50,000) 140%

Above S$50,000 180%

Example:

The ARF payable for a car with an OMV of S$75,000 will be calculated as follows:

First S$20,000 100% 100% x S$20,000 = S$20,000

Next S$30,000 140% 140% x S$30,000 = S$42,000

Above S$50,000 180% 180% x S$25,000 = S$45,000

otal ARF payable is (S$20,000 + S$42,000 + S$45,000) =S$107,000

[2] COE is like a 'permit' to own a car and its a fixed number that are released every month and the highest biddeds get them. The two categories are (upto 1600cc or upto 135bhp) and (above 1600cc or above 135bhp).

[3] And based on the emissions level, you may get taxed (upto $20,000) or get a rebate (upto 20,000).

Source:

Edited by Watchman

I think Japan has a system based on the dimension of the vehicle, im not very sure about this maybe iRage will know

There are several types of taxes:

1. Vehicle Acquisition tax (Nationalized but a prefecture tax): Pretty much the equivalent to "sales tax" when purchasing a car.

:

2. Weight tax (national tax): Paid when the shaken is renewed.Which can be every two or three years depending on the age of the car (older the car becomes the more frequent the shaken needs to be renewed) thus the more you have to pay in taxes. Tax rate is determined by weight of car.

3) Annual Road Tax (Prefecture Tax): Based on the car's use and displacement. Displacement brackets starts from 660cc to 1000cc? then from 1001cc onwards increases in 500cc blocks. On top of that based on the classification of the car (dimension/size class like kei or 3 or 5 number car, CO emissions class, etc..) there would be certain tax incentives/rates. This is a prefecture tax so there are slight differences from prefecture to prefecture.

I think you have not get what others actually meant. It's absolutely true that paying 1 mil in addition is not bearable. But this is not the right place to discuss it. Of course we feel really sorry about you. but what to do ? a strike, or a protest ?

talk to right people I'm sure they will take a right decision as this situation is not fair.