• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ek3 Radiator Leaking

civicferio

Hi All,

I noticed that there was a coolant level drop in extra tank and there are marks of coolant flow in the top of the radiator. I searched previous topics also and got some information. But still want to know some more info. My car is Ek3 2000 auto.

please see the picture below,

r1aagn.png

Do I need to replace the radiator?

Can i use Radiator sealant to top the leak?

recommended place to do the repair work.

Is their any place near piliyandala area?

Thank you in advance.

From your picture it looks like the leak is between the top tank and the core. If so, it'll be a fairly simple repair. You would not have to replace the radiator.

By saying "radiator sealant", I guess you're referring to the stuff that you pour into the radiator where it plugs any holes and leaks? I've not used it personally, so I wouldn't know much to comment on it's effectiveness. But if I were you, I'd find a good radiator shop and get the top tank attached back to the core properly and it should solve the issue.

If the top tank has a leak because the plastic has cracked, you can replace the top tank alone, without replacing the entire radiator.

From your picture it looks like the leak is between the top tank and the core. If so, it'll be a fairly simple repair. You would not have to replace the radiator.

By saying "radiator sealant", I guess you're referring to the stuff that you pour into the radiator where it plugs any holes and leaks? I've not used it personally, so I wouldn't know much to comment on it's effectiveness. But if I were you, I'd find a good radiator shop and get the top tank attached back to the core properly and it should solve the issue.

If the top tank has a leak because the plastic has cracked, you can replace the top tank alone, without replacing the entire radiator.

Thanks Davy. Do you know good place for the job?

Thanks Davy. Do you know good place for the job?

Radiator house, CT Lionel Radiator or D*MO will all do the job.

If you live close to Nawala there is a small joint in the road in front of where the sand lorries used to park (on the opposite side just off Nawala road). Small place but quite good!

If you live close to Malabe, there's place named Thanuja Radiators on the right side of the road, about 400m from Malabe junc, towards Kaduwela side. Not sure if the place is still there, but the guy working there was a former employee at Browns & Co. in their radiator division. Knows his stuff. I think they have a branch at Thalahena as well.

Do I need to replace the radiator?

Can i use Radiator sealant to top the leak?

recommended place to do the repair work.

Is their any place near piliyandala area?

Thank you in advance.

This is just hearsay (I believed it was a thread on AL that I read it actually, so perhaps doing a search will bring something up) but apparently radiator leak sealants are just a temporary measure as the radiator eventually starts leaking again, and one is better off just repairing it...

(edit: Here's the link to the thread mentioned above but if I were you I'd read through the thread below as well)

Edited by Kavvz

If you live close to Malabe, there's place named Thanuja Radiators on the right side of the road, about 400m from Malabe junc, towards Kaduwela side. Not sure if the place is still there, but the guy working there was a former employee at Browns & Co. in their radiator division. Knows his stuff. I think they have a branch at Thalahena as well.

I live in piliyandala area and hope to go to radiator house branch in piliyandala this weekend.

thanks.

Last saturday i showed car to radiator house piliyandala. the problem was with the upper tank leak near the hose. so they tried to replace the upper tank. but the sad story was after removing the upper tank and try to fix the new tank there was a 2mm lenght different. so they tried to find a tank from other shops also. but no luck. so finally I asked them to repair the old one. they used some kind of a glue to fix it. I know it is a temporary solution. they also suggested to make a tank using brass (piththala). But I have no idea about that.

is it okay to do the top tank using brass?

Thanks.

Last saturday i showed car to radiator house piliyandala. the problem was with the upper tank leak near the hose. so they tried to replace the upper tank. but the sad story was after removing the upper tank and try to fix the new tank there was a 2mm lenght different. so they tried to find a tank from other shops also. but no luck. so finally I asked them to repair the old one. they used some kind of a glue to fix it. I know it is a temporary solution. they also suggested to make a tank using brass (piththala). But I have no idea about that.

is it okay to do the top tank using brass?

Thanks.

Think a brass tank is fine, but the plastic replacement is available. Why don't you check with their head office?

Think a brass tank is fine, but the plastic replacement is available. Why don't you check with their head office?

They have checked their all branches including head office and also outside shops. but they couldn't find. issue is they have exactly the same one but it is about 2mm longer than one I have.

thanks

Yes, go to Panchikawatte their head office and explain what had happened in Piliyandala. If they don't have the tank in stock, they will hunt around for one and Panchikawatte is the best place to hunt :-). It will cost you around 8,000.

There is a slight issue though. The tanks are held by aluminium clips. These can be carefully opened and closed around two cycles before they break off. This means you can remove the same side tank only two times. Any more than that you are risking improper sealing and it will fail the pressure test.

Since your tank was already opened once for the repair make double sure that any replacement tank fits before you open up those clips again.

Good luck !

Edited by MAS

They have checked their all branches including head office and also outside shops. but they couldn't find. issue is they have exactly the same one but it is about 2mm longer than one I have.

thanks

You must go with the radiator or car itself. No point calling and asking. Anybody will need actual measurements.

Can you not shave 1mm off from either side of the lip ? Ask and see.

Edited by MAS

I had the same issue when I had a EK3 back in 2007. I took it to a place in Delkanda (about 150m from the junction towards Maharagama) and they custom made (more like molded an existing one) a brass tank. Not sure if the joint is still there now but there are some radiator shops around. You must take the car so they can properly fix it, and make sure you can close the hood without issues once it's installed. Good luck.

You must go with the radiator or car itself. No point calling and asking. Anybody will need actual measurements.

Can you not shave 1mm off from either side of the lip ? Ask and see.

Yes. I checked with them about the possibility to shave from both sides. but it may cause a improper sealing with the radiator core.