• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Johnway

SAB

Question

Hi guys,

First of all please let me know if there's an existing thread about this topic. I searched in the forum but couldn't find, so started a new thread.

I saw this SUV in several advertisements in AL and also on the way. It's "Dihatsu" (i.e Japanese made) and exterior appearence is as same as RAV4 (and CRV). The price given in the Ad is also reasonable for a SUV comparing to others.

http://www.autolanka.com/cars/daihatsu/2012-daihatsu-johnway-380-colombo-180396.html

Could anyone using this vehicle please share their pros and cons.

8 answers to this question

Have seen few (may be 2) around Colombo and heard some has bought for tourism purpose. Have you checked the spare parts availability.

Found this on internet;

Edited by The Don
I know you were just trying to share but it was kind of a free advert for softlogic

Have seen few (may be 2) around Colombo and heard some has bought for tourism purpose. Have you checked the spare parts availability.

Found this on internet;

I've also seen a few (may be 2) in Kandy. As it's a Japanese made, Spare parts might be available( but as not much as other famous SUVs like RAV4 etc.). Some times those spare parts may be matching to this one.

Johnway owners or other experts, pls share your experience..................!!!

Edited by The Don

I saw this SUV in several advertisements in AL and also on the way. It's "Dihatsu" (i.e Japanese made) and exterior appearence is as same as RAV4 (and CRV). The price given in the Ad is also reasonable for a SUV comparing to others.

http://www.autolanka.com/cars/daihatsu/2012-daihatsu-johnway-380-colombo-180396.html

Could anyone using this vehicle please share their pros and cons.

1. It's not made in Japan, it's not made by Daihatsu. It has nothing to do with Daihatsu, except for the fact that Uni-Walkers (Daihatsu agent in Sri Lanka) are the agent for this brand. Its a piece of sh*t made in bloody China.

2. It has a body copied off Toyota RAV4 and it has an engine copied from Mitsubishi (engine must be made under license I guess). When the Japanese/Europeans finish the production of a certain model of vehicle, they discard the used moulds as scrap. The Chinese go and buy those scrapped machinery and start building their own cars. That's how Jonway ended up looking like RAV4, Geely Emgrand looks like Allion, Geely CK looks like Mercedes, Chery J3 looks like Ford Focus, Chery QQ looks like Daewoo Matiz, Zotye Nomad looks like Daihatsu Terios.... the list is endless. These vehicles are made using discarded machinery.

3. Its not a 4WD. So you can't really call it an SUV

4. Jonway is not even a big manufacturer in China. Companies like FAW, Geely and Chery have at least some kind of a market. Buying a Jonway vehicle is similar to buying a third-grade copy of a Samsung phone from Pettah pavement

5. For that price, you are better off buying an older CR-V or a RAV4

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 6

1. It's not made in Japan, it's not made by Daihatsu. It has nothing to do with Daihatsu, except for the fact that Uni-Walkers (Daihatsu agent in Sri Lanka) are the agent for this brand. Its a piece of sh*t made in bloody China.

2. It has a body copied off Toyota RAV4 and it has an engine copied from Mitsubishi (engine must be made under license I guess). When the Japanese/Europeans finish the production of a certain model of vehicle, they discard the used moulds as scrap. The Chinese go and buy those scrapped machinery and start building their own cars. That's how Jonway ended up looking like RAV4, Geely Emgrand looks like Allion, Geely CK looks like Mercedes, Chery J3 looks like Ford Focus, Chery QQ looks like Daewoo Matiz, Zotye Nomad looks like Daihatsu Terios.... the list is endless. These vehicles are made using discarded machinery.

3. Its not a 4WD. So you can't really call it an SUV

4. Jonway is not even a big manufacturer in China. Companies like FAW, Geely and Chery have at least some kind of a market. Buying a Jonway vehicle is similar to buying a third-grade copy of a Samsung phone from Pettah pavement

5. For that price, you are better off buying an older CR-V or a RAV4

Have to agree on this there is nothing more to add than what Crosswind just mentioned above... have seen the Terios equivalent Zotya Nomad deteriorated so quickly to a point where u question your self how come this has an English number plate :P

I think opting for a used Honda or Toyota would be better as well.

Remember going to an Auto electrical joint sometime back were the garage owner kept cursing very loudly i might add trying to fix a security system on a Cerry QQ had all the wiring in white, u just could not differentiate any of the wiring.

might need to stay away on this one

• Like 2

I'm with 'Muditha420' on this 'SAB': 'Crosswind' makes a very good point. And based on that, this looks like something to avoid, especially when its priced at 4.5 mil.

I think on another thread it was mentioned that there were some used cars at the Nissan Dealer; which could possibly be bargained down as they have been on the lot for quite sometime. I'd read that post and that thread in general. Lots of good advice to be had there too.

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

@ Crosswind: No words to say how detailed & descriptive explanation you have given. This is why experts advices are really helpful for ppl who have less knowledge abt vehicles. I actually believed that Johnway has made by Dihatsu as mentioned in the AL ad.Thanks a lot crosswind.

@Muditha420/Kawz/Nishan.dj/wolseley: thanks for sharing your valuble information.

As Nishan.dj says, it's better to ask from woseley's friend to share his experience on that scrap.