• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Anyone Using An Android Car In Dash Radio / Navigation Unit ?

eyepea

If you are using an Android car in dash radio / navigation unit, could you please share your experience / comments etc on the unit please ?

The kind of thing am referring to is something like this ->

http://www.amazon.com/ALL-Touch-none-Disc-Capacitive-Multi-Touch-Navigation/dp/B00WWM7E58/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1439564946&sr=8-14&keywords=%2Bandroid+car+double+din+radio+navigation+no+dvd

(pls note this is just an example).

If the link is too much of a bother, just searching for android car radio navigation in amazon.com would give you similar items.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously having an Android Car Navigation system is always a better option for me with the amount of features it brings you. And the customizability is also a plus point for android enthusiasts. What I observed was that Android Navigation systems are much expensive.

I have this idea of using a 5" or 6" cheap chinese phablet to fit it inside the car with a double din frame. It won't be easy though but it will give you immense pleasure if you can do it yourself. You will obviously have to get someone to do the frame neatly in the standard double din size. You will also have to do some wiring as well, so overall it won't be easy. But you can have a car-phone as well :P It might cost you around Rs. 12,000/- maximum for the whole procedure given that chinese 5" mobiles can be bought for around 50$-60$ :)

I have this idea of using a 5" or 6" cheap chinese phablet to fit it inside the car with a double din frame. It won't be easy though but it will give you immense pleasure if you can do it yourself. You will obviously have to get someone to do the frame neatly in the standard double din size. You will also have to do some wiring as well, so overall it won't be easy. But you can have a car-phone as well :P It might cost you around Rs. 12,000/- maximum for the whole procedure given that chinese 5" mobiles can be bought for around 50$-60$ :)

Interesting idea :-)

Currently am using a smart phone for the navigation. When mounted on the windscreen, on long trips it has heating problems. If mounted near a/c vents lower down on the dashboard to solve the heating issues, the sky view for the gps antenna is rather restricted. These issues and of course forgetting to pocket the phone when getting out :-D and a few other points are what made me look into android car units.

Usually android devices designed for double din installation comes with a separate gps antenna than can be located elsewhere.

I doubt if usual android phones allow an external gps receiver to be connected. Perhaps specific devices do. Of course whether mounting the phablet on the 2din opening will be a concern may depend on the dashboard.

Obviously having an Android Car Navigation system is always a better option for me with the amount of features it brings you. And the customizability is also a plus point for android enthusiasts. What I observed was that Android Navigation systems are much expensive.

Good luck with that. The heat in the car will kill your phablet within a week.

Interesting idea :-)

Currently am using a smart phone for the navigation. When mounted on the windscreen, on long trips it has heating problems. If mounted near a/c vents lower down on the dashboard to solve the heating issues, the sky view for the gps antenna is rather restricted. These issues and of course forgetting to pocket the phone when getting out :-D and a few other points are what made me look into android car units.

Usually android devices designed for double din installation comes with a separate gps antenna than can be located elsewhere.

I doubt if usual android phones allow an external gps receiver to be connected. Perhaps specific devices do. Of course whether mounting the phablet on the 2din opening will be a concern may depend on the dashboard.

Take a look at this thread, Something like what are referring to was discussed

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/11997-cool-ebay-gadgets-for-cars/?p=281543

Edited by Magnum

• 3 weeks later...
Good luck with that. The heat in the car will kill your phablet within a week.

Ah yep! almost forgot parking under hot sun.

Guess (?) in dash units are built to withstand the heat.

I suppose nav units that are mounted on the dash or windscreen are designed to withstand the heat too (depending on the brand).

That is an option to consider.

I do prefer an Android unit.

But any comments from guys using Garmin or other units from SA** or any other place are welcome (specially regarding the heat issue if you are leaving the unit permanently fixed in the car while parked and while driving) ?

Few of the minor points for me to look for an in dash nav unit is that in my current set up, once in a while the suction cup slips down the windscreen due to the heat (may be due to cheap phone holders in the market) and the smartphone screen freezes due to heat (I presume due to heat since at cooler times and night have not experienced so far). I do not have any heat film applied to my windscreen yet. (Something to try). Bit of fun when it happens while driving and following a route. Actually may be more fun than when you get the 'GPS signal lost' error msg :-D.

Take a look at this thread, Something like what are referring to was discussed

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/11997-cool-ebay-gadgets-for-cars/?p=281543

Thanks, had a peek.