• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What To Look For When Buying A Bwm E46

FredC

Question

.It's all ways advisable to do a bumper to bumper inspection by a person who knows Beemer's.I suppose you're asking of the 320d.

This engine cooling fan - , even though longitudinally mounted, has an electric cooling fan (single pull-type).when that dies, both A/c and engine will suffer.

Crankshaft harmonic balancer (vibration damper) - known for failure.

Turbocharger - known to fail with use. check for proper-operation as the thing is spinning at speed even at idle engine..

Clutch - check for operation and biting point.

Rear suspension sub-frame - rare failure repaired under warranty.

The suspension would have worn/noisy bits due to age/mileage - specially front lower arms/bushes.

Alloy wheels deform from falling into pot holes

A dealer maintained car is worth looking for.

Good luck!

TT.

P.s, Everything which can go wrong , does. :sad-smiley-050: it's just like any other car,

Edited by Twin Turbo

.It's all ways advisable to do a bumper to bumper inspection by a person who knows Beemer's.I suppose you're asking of the 320d.

This is the route I went with. A forum member here operates a BMW workshop who recommended the E46 I ended up buying.

• Like 1

Swirl flaps tend to get loose with time and fall in the intake. Better to check/blank them once buying.

This is the route I went with. A forum member here operates a BMW workshop who recommended the E46 I ended up buying.

Is it a diesel or petrol, auto/manual?

any way of contact? I can save time and certainly don't wanna end up buying a messed up one :speechless-smiley-006:

if you are going for a petrol i can provide you wt some insight...btw are there any facelift six cylinder e46s here in sl..have neva seen one..

I don't think there are any, even pre facelift six pot cars are extremely rare.

if you are going for a petrol i can provide you wt some insight...btw are there any facelift six cylinder e46s here in sl..have neva seen one..
I don't think there are any, even pre facelift six pot cars are extremely rare.

I've hardly seen any petrol engines. I came a cross two 318is. One was in 2014 and I was not interested in buying at that time and it was in absolute mint (now regretting the fact that I didn't buy it - my bad!!) the other was over priced!! Going to see a 320d tomorrow. Many have not maintained properly!

I've hardly seen any petrol engines. I came a cross two 318is. One was in 2014 and I was not interested in buying at that time and it was in absolute mint (now regretting the fact that I didn't buy it - my bad!!) the other was over priced!! Going to see a 320d tomorrow. Many have not maintained properly!

only 2? really? While they are comparatively less in numbers than the diesels, I came across quite few for sale when I was looking for one. Ended up buying the one Bugatti recommended. It was not in tip top shape and I had to do some catch up work after buying it (including a full respray).

Considering the age and the cost of maintenance, expect to attend to some preventative maintenance.

There are about 6-8 pre-facelift 6 pot e46 cars in SL. Two are in fact 328i's. Two 325 convertibles. 3 are 320i's of which I have one. There are some good 318i out there too, but its a long wait to find a good one come into the market... Most owners are not willing to part with them.

Edited by Rukster

There are about 6-8 pre-facelift 6 pot e46 cars in SL. Two are in fact 328i's. Two 325 convertibles. 3 are 320i's of which I have one. There are some good 318i out there too, but its a long wait to find a good one come into the market... Most owners are not willing to part with them.

yes i saw one in a photo album of a bmw meetup,a blue pre facelift convertible...havent seen a single one up for sale, can imagine why owners keep them.. sorry feels like i have hijacked the thread.. :sad-smiley-068:

Hi,

1. Can someone tell me what to look for from an E46 (common problems etc)

2. 1999 / 2000 comes with common rail motor?

3. how is service at Mroys?.

1.Milage! Ive been going around looking for E46s around and most of them show a relatively low milage with no history of service records. So watch out for this. There are quite a few minor turbo problems on the diesel engines and also suspension issues. Relatively the petrol cars are low on maintenance but higher on the pocket in terms of petrol consumption ( Diesel does an avg of around 12/14km pl while the petrol does around 8.5 to 9 ) Well either way its quite difficult to get a well maintained e46 these days coz no one sells these :P

2. 1999/2000 does not have a common rail engine. ( As far as I know)

3. I haven't done a service at millys! I'd suggest you to go to Prestige for servicing (not parts! :P )

I hope this helps :) Give me a shout if you need any more info :)

1.Milage! Ive been going around looking for E46s around and most of them show a relatively low milage with no history of service records. So watch out for this. There are quite a few minor turbo problems on the diesel engines and also suspension issues. Relatively the petrol cars are low on maintenance but higher on the pocket in terms of petrol consumption ( Diesel does an avg of around 12/14km pl while the petrol does around 8.5 to 9 ) Well either way its quite difficult to get a well maintained e46 these days coz no one sells these :P

2. 1999/2000 does not have a common rail engine. ( As far as I know)

3. I haven't done a service at millys! I'd suggest you to go to Prestige for servicing (not parts! :P )

I hope this helps :) Give me a shout if you need any more info :)

the petrol fuel figures are bit misleading they do average of 11-12.5kmpl....8.5-9 is city figures...this is for n42 motor

Edited by asier

whats ur car??the engine?? may be you are only doing city driving...last wk only did long runs highway and low traffic roads gave me good 14 average...if not go see a mechanic check ur plugs etc :)

318i 2L engine.. Yeah I guess i have to get those checked :) cheers for the info buddy

I get between 7 and 8 commuting in traffic. Have seen 10-11 with long hauls not babying the throttle.

If you're going for the petrol with the N42, the engine burns a bit of oil. There's no conclusive amount considered 'normal' for the engine. But this is something worth checking.