• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Alternator - Lancer C12

Iced-T

Question

Hi, my lancer C12 alternator has stopped charging. I have been advised to replace it.

Around how much does a new alternator cost? and where is the best place to get it? Its the pulley type alternator.

An electrical guy i know wants to replace it with a 2nd hand electronic type alternator (will this work on my car?) . He says the price is 13500 Rs, and he will give a 3 month warranty... and connect it up.

Any advice is much appreciated

thanks.

8 answers to this question

Sad to hear your alternator went the way of the Do do.

I've had my share of the old school alternators,

So yes, Go for a new unit, be it a recon Ic-regulated unit with a new set of brushes and your set

for the next quarter century !

Happy motoring !

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1

What do you mean by an electronic type alternator? All alternators are pulley type and they are electronic (they convert mechanical energy to electrical enegery).

Usually there are really only two types, ones that have internal voltage regulators and one that use external voltage regulators accroding to my knowledge. An expert can shed some light on this if I'm wrong.

Also watch out for repaired alternators, alternators can be re-built to factory spec (just like motors), but if critical parts such as bearings, stator coils, brushes etc are not replaced and are halfway worn/damaged, the alternator will probably fail within a few months of use, so you're better off getting a brand new one if the price is comparatively not that high.

• Like 1

What do you mean by an electronic type alternator? All alternators are pulley type and they are electronic (they convert mechanical energy to electrical enegery).

Usually there are really only two types, ones that have internal voltage regulators and one that use external voltage regulators accroding to my knowledge. An expert can shed some light on this if I'm wrong.

Also watch out for repaired alternators, alternators can be re-built to factory spec (just like motors), but if critical parts such as bearings, stator coils, brushes etc are not replaced and are halfway worn/damaged, the alternator will probably fail within a few months of use, so you're better off getting a brand new one if the price is comparatively not that high.

Thank you for ur comment... do you know anyone who is skilled in servicing alternators?

Edited by Iced-T

I know some, where are you located? You will have to find someone who's good in re-winding motors.

First check whether the voltage regulator of the alternator is inside or outside and have it inspected before proceeding to check the stator coil and rotor.

In some older cars external voltage regulators are mounted on the fender in the engine bay.

• Like 1

I know some, where are you located? You will have to find someone who's good in re-winding motors.

First check whether the voltage regulator of the alternator is inside or outside and have it inspected before proceeding to check the stator coil and rotor.

In some older cars external voltage regulators are mounted on the fender in the engine bay.

I live in Colombo... could you PM me the contact details please?

I live in Colombo... could you PM me the contact details please?

Both the people I know are located in my hometown, Avissawella. I can PM the details for you if you're closeby, maybe another member can post details of such a person in Colombo.

Both the people I know are located in my hometown, Avissawella. I can PM the details for you if you're closeby, maybe another member can post details of such a person in Colombo.

Oh.. yes thats a bit far I guess. I want someone knowledgeable to look at this as I dont want to lose the original Mitsubishi part. If it can be serviced I would prefer that option.