• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fog light always on wiring

ThushanthaSrimal

Question

My car is Honda city type z 2001

There was a pair of fog lamps already installed when I bought my car. That pair is not original, no original wiring is found.

Each lamp has 4 pins, one pair is for the main lamp and the other pair for the ring (edging) around the lamp.

I want to make this ring always on when I start the car and the main fog lamp controlled by the switch which I already have.

What is the best and safe place I can get a positive(+) line out for these two rings to light-up? 

4 answers to this question

You can get a 12v line from the cigarette lighter fuse. It will be on when you have accessories on.
I don't think you can make the lights on only when the engine is on though.

Check if your fog lamps work only when the ignition is on. If yes, bypass the fog light switch and hook up the day time running lights to the same line that the fog light switch is connected to (i.e the receiving line to the fog light switch). This will ensure that the fog lights and daytime running lights are in the same circuit.

Alternatively, you can hook it up to a fuse in the engine bay fuse box. Use a test light to find out which fuses get power only when the ignition is on. Use a non critical fuse though (windshield wipers and power shutters fuses usually get power only when ignition is on).  This way you don't have to run wires into the cabin of the car.

If you want to go all pro, you can use a relay and wire the lights up so that only the relay trigger line is hooked up to the fuse. This will prevent unnecessary power draw from the circuit that you tap into and is the safest option, especially if your lights draw a good amount of power. 

I had similar situation but I just changed these lamps. Don't really have time to try to fix the problem.
I actually had a situation on my job. It's quite dumb but our water cooler in the office fired up and our emergency system didn't react on smoke... Fortunately we had extinguisher. After this case our director called Charleston electrical contractor who checked the wiring and fixed the problem. I don't even want to think what could happen if it was something more serious than water cooler. Soo yeah, be careful guys.

Edited by samantha.rivers