• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi Pejero io VS Nissan N16 Facelift (N17)

Chinthaka510

Question

Hi,

I hope to buy a pre-owned vehicle in near future. I already selected two models,

1. Mitsubishi Pejero io (1999 Manual Transmission)

2 Nissan N16 Facelift (2007 E Throttle, CVTC Automatic Transmission) (Mostly called as N17)

I’m considering about comfortability, good fuel economy and easy to maintain (Cost and availability of parts). Pajero io price is higher than Rs 250,000 by comparing N16. Which one is good for home use and wroth for money?

If anyone having experience about those cars please share your opinion. It would be very grateful if you help me to choose a better car as a first car. 

Thanks.

15 answers to this question

ah ok. i used to own 1300CC one bought on a permit in 2007 (My wife was the second owner) descent vehicle with good personality and relatively comfortable. very cheap to maintain. Bit low in pulling power and fuel consumption

I think pajero IO had some sort of issue with fuel system (Im not a technical guy)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

Why do you say that, sir?

Ade Cross wind why do you bug me? All I know it that IO has the GDI engine and we Sri Lankans should avoid it at all costs. Am I right?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BuBi said:

Ade Cross wind why do you bug me? All I know it that IO has the GDI engine and we Sri Lankans should avoid it at all costs. Am I right?

We have quite a few other models with Direct Injected engines...why aren't you staying away from them ?

The GDI engines (along with other DI engines from other manufacturers) have had issues with knocking and other issues related to poor fuel quality. But that does not mean it is worst than the plague. You just have to be a little bit more disciplined and committed to taking care of it properly. 

In fact the iO is quite a nippy little baby SUV. It has a much better and proper 4wd system compared to others in the category and it accelerates like crazy.

EDIT : Also, if I am not mistaken there are quite a few Montero iO around which were imported from the UK and the agent which does not have the GDI engine.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, iRage said:

We have quite a few other models with Direct Injected engines...why aren't you staying away from them ?

The GDI engines (along with other DI engines from other manufacturers) have had issues with knocking and other issues related to poor fuel quality. But that does not mean it is worst than the plague. You just have to be a little bit more disciplined and committed to taking care of it properly. 

In fact the iO is quite a nippy little baby SUV. It has a much better and proper 4wd system compared to others in the category and it accelerates like crazy. 

GDI is not a bad technology but in Sri Lanka the fuel quality is not healthy for the GDI engine. Hence the bad rep. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chinthaka510 said:

How about the nissan? Will it easy to maintain? Actually I'm not familiar with E-throttle & CVTC.

Don't know much about that model machan. But I think it won't be much of a trouble to maintain. 

• Like 1

Personally I asked from some peoples like garage owners, car sale owners about the Nissan. Most peoples reply "That is the anniversary model, I don't know much about this model". Some peoples says this model fuel efficiency is better than normal model. I think this model very rare in sri lanka.

My in-Laws Had a lot of bad experiences with an IO, Bought it new from Japan at 3000kms and used till 114,000k

Let me list the bits that needed replacing in that run

Master ECU - Car was garage ridden over 8 months till one was sourced

Wiring loom- No evidence of rats, the short in the ecu baked bits of the loom, - so another month or so till a loom was found, then again the ECU with the loom was needed for it to fire

Transfer Box / 4wd ECU entire kit again was running in 4H for about 6 months

4WD Shifter mechanism / Inhibitor switch sorta thing

Minor running bits such as bushings - bits are hard to find, and repairs need to be done with a worthwhile garage or agent

yet All of the above sourced at Delkanda time to time

However the agents have almost all bits including rarer body panels for the price though

The rear door was replaced there due to a collision

Also it came with a JDM Spec OEM display all Japanese, that thing fried along the way throwing daily error codes

Also the OBD protocol is not that of the standard lot. Electrical bits on that was a nightmare from the windows to interior lights

Ran on 95, no issues with GDI though 

Check out the photos, this is how it was most of its time with us

AVOID Older or high mileage ones unless they are taken care of exceptionally well.

IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

Edited by tiv
  • Like 3

My in-Laws Had a lot of bad experiences with an IO, Bought it new from Japan at 3000kms and used till 114,000k
Wiring loom- No evidence of rats, the short in the ecu baked bits of the loom, - so another month or so till a loom was found, then again the ECU with the loom was needed for it to fire
Minor running bits such as bushings - bits are hard to find, and repairs need to be done with a worthwhile garage or agent
However the agents have almost all bits including rarer body panels for the price though
Also it came with a JDM Spec OEM display all Japanese, that thing fried along the way throwing daily error codes
Also the OBD protocol is not that of the standard lot. Electrical bits on that was a nightmare from the windows to interior lights

AVOID Older or high mileage ones unless they are taken care of exceptionally well.

IMG_2438.JPG.f393b27ed4c18d9305c881e3f6bb19a8.JPG
IMG_2377.thumb.JPG.95c4012ebeefaf54c54a9d81b7c43706.JPG
IMG_2378.thumb.JPG.ea25d2a7bdc145473f480822bdb6ee87.JPG
IMG_2437.thumb.JPG.a5ab8272f912ef509d3511a428fd3352.JPG

Thank you very much.

20 hours ago, tiv said:

IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

Interesting that it was that bad. A good friend (and former regular here at AL- @Devinda_Z) had a brand new imported 2004 Montero IO from new up until about 2 years ago and it was absolutely stone cold reliable. Just needed oil changes basically and about a year or two before it was sold it needed some brake and suspension work if I remember correctly. Of course this was the basic Non GDI model, steel wheels, didn't even have airbags. 

• Like 1

Just the usual consumables in 12 years of use

Non turbo bog spec 4G94 FTW

UniMo imported a few of these badged as MONTERO IO's (2L N/A) as opposed to the reconditioned PAJERO IO's (best avoided - all GDI 1.8's i believe) 

Nothing special but a solid daily hack