• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

CHR 1.2L Turbo Vs Vezel

Dulaj Heshan

Question

3 answers to this question

Don't know about CHR. Parent's household has a 2016 Vezel which does around 12-14 in Colombo. I've driven it outstation a few times and it does around 18+ even when not in Econ Mode and with my heavy foot. Pretty sure the CHR Turbo can't come anywhere close to those figures.

Despite Vezels being more common than a tuk tuk I think it's a pretty capable family crossover with a good dose of power when you need it and it's reasonably comfortable even on the most horrible roads. There are a few horror stories on the DCT Gearbox overheating in traffic. Our vehicle hasn't had any issues but mileage is still relatively low. I personally find the gearbox responsive enough especially during high speed cruising and overtaking but not the most refined in stop- start Colombo traffic. 

Only issue for me is the tight boot space which is not so practical when you have to go out of town with 2 young kids and loads of luggage- but I think CHR also has the same space constraints there. Test drive both and see.

Not a fan of the vezel but in comparison of any yom vezel with a 1.2 C-HR in terms of power the vezel is miles away. But it's the opposite when It comes to the hybrid larger engine,

Body shell limitations are near identical but of course the CHR has more presence and tech also being a bit less common FOR NOW. Looks good but the tyres are bloody expensive it being just a crossover .

Is with any older car and newer release comparison the vezel has no issue with basic parts in the market whereas the C-HR is still rare 

Being a Toyota that will be corrected soon enough 

I will not comment on the fuel figures as I do not own any of the above models and owners say various bull.

Comparison  and discussion of the off road capabilities of Both these 'cars' would not be the smartest thing. 

Bottom line if you are going for the C-HR get the one with the big engine! 

This is based on long test drives (24 hr) and not long term usage.

The 1.2L Turbo of the CHR feels a much more livelier than the 1.5L Hybrid of the Vezel. Also, the new TNGA platform feels quite livelier than the Vezel. However, you feel more involved when you drive the Vezel because it has much better steering feel.

From a usability point of view the Vezel is more practical. Has better rear and side visibility than the CHR (and that is even with the fact that the Vezel has sucky visibility). Seems to have slightly more usable luggage space than that the CHR. The CHR's shape kind of restricts the luggage area. My wife kept bumping her head when getting in and out of the rear (and she is only 155cm tall) but she didn't have the problem with the CHR. The way the rear door tapers in the rear and the positioning and height of the rear seat contributes to that.

Both cars are equally well put together so it is a matter of personal preference on which one you would prefer.

Power wise...what @tiv mentioned was a comparison of the figures where the Vezel will have more HP and torque when you combine both the gasoline and hybrid motor. However, when it comes to delivery the CHR does a lot better. The Turbo engine was pretty consistent in being decent and peppy when driving through the flat and hilly roads of Nagasaki (with 3 adults and a kid (+child seat)). The Vezel on the other hand...well...it was a bit of an annoyance...even in sports mode. On flat ground, etc...the thing was quite quick in Sports mode..but when it hit the hilly roads it started feeling rather suffocated and choked. The Honda dealer claimed it was because the gearbox software needed some fixing but even when I went back to re-test it a few months later, it still felt the same. Also, know a lot of people who complain about how flat the Vezel feels when it is under load for an extended period of time)

At the end of the day....if it was my personal money I would buy the CHR just because I prefer the way the 1.2L Turbo engine behaves a bit more than how the Vezel behaves.

As for fuel economy....well one is a Hybrid and the other is a downsized gasoline engine. Depending on how you use it one might actually do better than the other under certain circumstances. However, long term use in Colombo...I would reckon they would both do the same range ? The Vezel might do a bit more but I doubt the difference will be that huge. With the new 2WD 1.2L Turbo variants of the CHR, the fuel economy might be even closer to the Vezel's ?

Edited by iRage