Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

  • 0

1991 Toyota Carina - Reverse Gear Problem


Ishtiak
 Share

Question

My Toyota Carina my road 1991 model it is facing reverse gear problem.In the morning the car goes in reverse gear but if it kept in. Cold about a hour reverse gear don't work.it needs to run in forward about 5 Km then the reverse works again and if reverse works for a time it always work until rest of more than 1 hour.so in cold it doesn't work but in Garrard morning it works and in hot or running also work so please help me that what I can do

Edited by Davy
Edited Topic Title. Added Search Tags.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
43 minutes ago, Ted said:

If the gearbox is still the old one then, please replace your engine with a reconditioned one. 

Really? A gearbox problem and you suggest replacing the engine? No offence, but that's terrible advice. 

@Ishtiak, when/how many kilometres ago did you last replace your transmission fluid? If it was recently, was the oil pan taken out, filter replaced and valve body cleaned? If the answer to any of these questions is "not sure" or "no", then the first step in diagnosing the issue is to do a transmission fluid change where the oil is drained, oil pan removed, filter replaced.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
7 minutes ago, Davy said:

Really? A gearbox problem and you suggest replacing the engine? No offence, but that's terrible advice. 

@Ishtiak, when/how many kilometres ago did you last replace your transmission fluid? If it was recently, was the oil pan taken out, filter replaced and valve body cleaned? If the answer to any of these questions is "not sure" or "no", then the first step in diagnosing the issue is to do a transmission fluid change where the oil is drained, oil pan removed, filter replaced.

 

These symptoms are not for bad transmission fluid. That is 100% sure. A valve can be malfunctioning and even if found the cost of repair and the cost of particular spare part  which I don't think can be found, is always equal or higher than replacing with a reconditioned gear box is the best option which would cost no more than 60k at max.

Anyway @Ishtiak please let us know what you found out actually. So that we can confirm out of the two contradictions. 

Edited by Ted
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 minute ago, Ted said:

These symptoms are not for bad transmission fluid. That is 100% sure. A valve can be malfunctioning and even if found the cost of repair and the cost of particular spare part  which I don't think can be found, replacing with a reconditioned gear box is the best option which would cost no more than 60k at max.

Even if the issue is with the transmission, no one in their right mind should blindly replace the transmission (especially with a used one with no verified history) without investigating what the problem is.

As transmission oil ages, it loses its lubricating and heat absorption properties which could very well be why OP is facing the issue. If the issue is with the valve body, careful inspection and cleaning does go a long way. This is why I specifically asked if the fluid changes done also included removing the oil pan and cleaning the valve body. I've seen many transmissions with stuck valves and low fluid pressure (sometimes in certain gears) that's sorted by a proper fluid change.

Doing this costs a fraction of the price of a new transmission, and I believe is a valid step in diagnosing the problem. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -4
On 2/2/2020 at 3:46 PM, Ishtiak said:

My Toyota Carina my road 1991 model it is facing reverse gear problem.In the morning the car goes in reverse gear but if it kept in. Cold about a hour reverse gear don't work.it needs to run in forward about 5 Km then the reverse works again and if reverse works for a time it always work until rest of more than 1 hour.so in cold it doesn't work but in Garrard morning it works and in hot or running also work so please help me that what I can do

If the gearbox is still the old one then, please replace your engine with a reconditioned one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

AutoLanka Cars For Sale

Post Your Ad Free [Click Here]



×
×
  • Create New...