• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Window Tint and UV protection

MIU PER

Hi all, 

This is my first post in autolanka. I've searched for the topic and didn't find any recent relevant information related to my problem. 

I own a Mazda 3 2008. Windows are not tinted at all. I'm planning to get them tinted, and have the following questions. 

1) Are the windshield and shutters already UV protected?

2) Is there any use of spending money for the 3M clear Tint? Are there any other quality options? 

3) Will there be a significant heat reduction if I Tint the front with clear film and back with a darker film?

4) If its not useful, I'm planning to have a dark Tint only for my rear windshield and shutters. What are my brand options? (please mention the cost)

5) What is a good, genuine place around Panadura, Bandaragama area to get this done? What will be the rough cost for everything? (front clear, back dark) 

Thanks

Just to give you some general responses...

Most modern cars that came out within the last decade and a bit more do come with UV protected windows. In the mid and late 90s it was a huge marketing gimmick and was posted all over the place when manufacturers sold their cars but by around the 2000s it became quite common and almost a standard. So you can be 99% be certain that the windows are UV protected.

Clear tints do help the car cooler...so yes...if you can afford to get a clear tint..do get it.It will help the AC run more efficiently..it will be useful during the hot season. 

3M and Llumar are the most common and widely available brands in the region (but that does not make them the best either). I have heard some good things about IrisPro both in SL and globally. It might not be available in Panadura/Bandaragama and I do know that the agent's shop is somewhere around Rajagiriya...but the trip up there might be worth it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MIU PER said:

Hi all, 

This is my first post in autolanka. I've searched for the topic and didn't find any recent relevant information related to my problem. 

I own a Mazda 3 2008. Windows are not tinted at all. I'm planning to get them tinted, and have the following questions. 

1) Are the windshield and shutters already UV protected?

2) Is there any use of spending money for the 3M clear Tint? Are there any other quality options? 

3) Will there be a significant heat reduction if I Tint the front with clear film and back with a darker film?

4) If its not useful, I'm planning to have a dark Tint only for my rear windshield and shutters. What are my brand options? (please mention the cost)

5) What is a good, genuine place around Panadura, Bandaragama area to get this done? What will be the rough cost for everything? (front clear, back dark) 

Thanks

not sure about mazda itself but most 2007-8 cars came with UV cut glass, specially japanese ones

2) 3M is expensive for its brand name but most other imported tint brands have simillar or better quality in terms of heat reduction and UV protection. Btw most 3M stuff in SL are not original so id doubt third party 3M tints are any better. 

3) Theoretically it depends on how and where you park your car. If the sun always points from the clear side you are gonna still have some heat compared to the darker sides. 

4) i did my car tint on my own with taiwanese tint film(yes its not the best brand or quality, i tinted for privacy reasons and not for sun tint), it costed me around 1000 for the film( lighter shade), 250 for the squeege and other equipment(dont use a credit card to squeeze the soap water, it will leave scratches on the tint), but usually local tint shops charge between 2500-3000 for a tint job. Personally if you like to DIY some stuff off your car, Tinting is fun to do and there is plenty of tutorials on the internet on how to do it including how to cut the tint film, how to spray soapy water on the film ends to avoid bubbles and other inconsistencies and stuff... the only hard part is to apply tint for the rear winshield in a sedan cuz u dont want soap water seeping all over your back tray. its a good weekend project if you are ready for it. 

Edited by HaeylM
  • Like 2

Thanks @iRage and @HaeylM for the replies. It's my first car. So not planning to DIY on it yet 😀

Based on the replies I think it's better to have the clear tint as well. Car feels like a pressure cooker when it's parked in sun for 1-2 hours. More than that I'm worried about the interior. 

Can someone suggest a place to get it done with quality for a mid range price (under 20k). The place should be genuine. I don't want to get a 3k job for 20k.

1 hour ago, MIU PER said:

Thanks @iRage and @HaeylM for the replies. It's my first car. So not planning to DIY on it yet 😀

Based on the replies I think it's better to have the clear tint as well. Car feels like a pressure cooker when it's parked in sun for 1-2 hours. More than that I'm worried about the interior. 

Can someone suggest a place to get it done with quality for a mid range price (under 20k). The place should be genuine. I don't want to get a 3k job for 20k.

K*een P*rk does NDFOS tint with a 10 year warranty or something... gonna be pricy there but heard they do a good job on most of their paint protectant and stuff.  P*tco L#nka and Adv*nce Car A#dio are cheaper options compared to previous but pretty good aftersales service. 

• Like 1

Most of the cars in 2008 came with UV glasses in front only. Toyota was an exception.

There will be UV printed in small letters in the glass if it has UV protection.

If you are getting a tint get a good quality one through a reputed party. Price you pay will be worth as there will be no peeling off and visibility on rain and in dark are significantly different.

I got 2 of may previous cars on 3M and did not have any issues. Only got the rear doors and rear glass as the tint on front was illegal.

For the front windscreen suggest you get a reflective cover when you park in the sun. Much cheaper and effective in keeping the car cool.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Window tint is effective enough at preventing UV damage that the Skin Cancer Foundation recommends window tinting as part of a full and proactive skin care program, and one study found a 93 percent reduction in skin cancer deaths after UV exposure in cars was blocked with UV filtering glass.

Edited by Jaylah5

• 2 months later...

The tinting of the car, contrary to the technical regulations, meets the opposition of traffic police inspectors. Darkened glass is subjected to mass inspection for light transmittance. The front hemisphere of car windows must withstand an indicator of 70% or more. It is better to order car sunshade for the baby online to avoid possible problems due to incorrect tinting of the car. Such protection from the sun is half the law and does not cause complaints from the police.

Edited by jesscaper