• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Body and engine swap - Nissan pickup trucks

dinuka888

Dear experts,

I'm seeking the advise from you on my dream project of swapping a 1994 (d21) body and a TD 27t engine to an old datsun 720 chassis.

1. Is it mechanically possible install new engine and body to old chassis?

2. Will I be able to convert the old suspension to new one?

3.what will be the legal aspects of such an engine and body swap (if it is mechanically possible)?

4. What are the other things to look at before doing such a job?

Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

In short what you want to do is illegal.

You must think mostly on the safety aspect.

If you do the measurements correctly you might be able to modify and put the D21 Body on the 720 chassis. There would be things like body mounting positions etc that you will have to take into account.

Suspension also could be modified.

Issue is if there are going to be good garages that could do it (knowing its illegal to change the body) and end up with a safe vehicle.

You should also look at the cost factor, maybe better to bring the old 720 back to it former glory rather than spending a full price for a D21 trying to build up your dream of converting an old car.

• Like 1

@Gummybr Thnx for the comment. I will not do it in an illegal manner ofcourse. I'm thinking about obtaining a permission from rmv before changing either the engine or body. Also the safety should not be compromised due to any modification and that's where I need opinions and insights. You are correct, if this fails what I have to do is restoring the 720 🙂

Uhh....do they still allow body swaps ?

Even in the past they allowed body swaps only when it can be shown that the old body (i.e. frame) cannot be salvaged in any form or manner (i.e. rotted or damaged beyond repair). They did not care about the body panels.

Beyond that...I second what @Gummybr mentioned. It is possible to put a D21 body, engine and drive train on to a 720 with the necessary fabrication. In SL mechanics who have both the skill and commitment to do a proper job are quie scarce and expensive. Most who have the skill does not care anything about doing the job properly but will bill you dearly for it.

Restore the 720...much cooler and in the long run will be much better value for money too. Or..do a restomod of the 720...so you keep the body and chassis and upgrade the engine, suspension, etc...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, iRage said:

Uhh....do they still allow body swaps ?

Even in the past they allowed body swaps only when it can be shown that the old body (i.e. frame) cannot be salvaged in any form or manner (i.e. rotted or damaged beyond repair). They did not care about the body panels.

Beyond that...I second what @Gummybr mentioned. It is possible to put a D21 body, engine and drive train on to a 720 with the necessary fabrication. In SL mechanics who have both the skill and commitment to do a proper job are quie scarce and expensive. Most who have the skill does not care anything about doing the job properly but will bill you dearly for it.

Restore the 720...much cooler and in the long run will be much better value for money too. Or..do a restomod of the 720...so you keep the body and chassis and upgrade the engine, suspension, etc...

Restomod is a great idea which has never crossed my mind. Thank you @iRage.

• 2 years later...