• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Overhaul and Modifications

Linesh Anandkumar

Hi All,

I've recently purchased a 1998 Nissan Bluebird SU14 with a 2.0L Diesel Engine (CD20) 

I am currently in the process of overhauling the whole vehicle.

Need to know where i can overhaul the whole engine and add in upgrades (pistons etc), custom turbo & exhaust, and a performance clutch kit?

If there is a one stop shop for all ,that would be great.

Cost is of no issue. 

P.s - this is a 3rd vehicle and a project car. Before anyone says turbos are bad for a non turbo vehicle, i don't care if the engine cracks open in half, ill just put in another one, as i got the car rusting off a yard for dirt cheap. 

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Linesh Anandkumar said:

Hi All,

I've recently purchased a 1998 Nissan Bluebird SU14 with a 2.0L Diesel Engine (CD20) 

Need to know where i can overhaul the whole engine and add in upgrades (pistons etc), custom turbo & exhaust, and a performance clutch kit?

Cost is of no issue. 

P.s - this is a 3rd vehicle and a project car. Before anyone says turbos are bad for a non turbo vehicle, i don't care if the engine cracks open in half, ill just put in another one, as i got the car rusting off a yard for dirt cheap. 

Thanks in advance!

Uhh...isn't the CD20T, which came in the Avenir, Serena and Primera (in some markets), pretty much a CD20 with a turbo bolted on it ? So theoretically the CD20 was an engine that came with a turbo, its just that the bluebird got it with the turbo stripped off :)  You technically should be able to find used units from one of those cars and do the upgrade. However, I don't think the turbo charger added that much power...it would have been about 100hp compared to the 70-80 hp of a standard CD20...and I do not think you would actually need performance clutches or forged rods and stuff for it (don't forget the internals of a diesel engine are a bit more stronger than that of a petrol engine). 

But if you are going with the custom turbo option, go to WickedEP for the turbo and exhaust systemand see how much more you can get out of it..no idea by how much though (or if you find the turbo off of a CD20T you can still go to them to do aproper setup). Sadly, I don't think they other things you are looking for (clutches, engine overhauls, etc..) but they might have some recommendations or partner garages they work with.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Linesh Anandkumar said:

Hi All,

Cost is of no issue. 

Thanks in advance!

Well as far as one stop shops for project cars go, I suppose you should talk to Lap57 or Platinum Auto. 

Then again since this is a diesel I don't know if they are the ideal choice, maybe you should talk to an off road guy since they have more experience with diesel performance. In that case try Bruce Motorsports.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iRage said:

Uhh...isn't the CD20T, which came in the Avenir, Serena and Primera (in some markets), pretty much a CD20 with a turbo bolted on it ? So theoretically the CD20 was an engine that came with a turbo, its just that the bluebird got it with the turbo stripped off :)  You technically should be able to find used units from one of those cars and do the upgrade. However, I don't think the turbo charger added that much power...it would have been about 100hp compared to the 70-80 hp of a standard CD20...and I do not think you would actually need performance clutches or forged rods and stuff for it (don't forget the internals of a diesel engine are a bit more stronger than that of a petrol engine). 

But if you are going with the custom turbo option, go to WickedEP for the turbo and exhaust systemand see how much more you can get out of it..no idea by how much though (or if you find the turbo off of a CD20T you can still go to them to do aproper setup). Sadly, I don't think they other things you are looking for (clutches, engine overhauls, etc..) but they might have some recommendations or partner garages they work with.

Thanks for your reply. i contacted WEP and they seemed a bit clueless and downright rejected a turbo kit since they don't do turbos for non turbo vehicles.

The reasons i'm putting a turbo is

1. vehicle is 23 years old, and something this ancient could use a bit of help. im thinking another 30hp boost would do

2. childhood dream is to own a car that goes "pssh psssh" when i let off the throttle (no i will not install those electronic wastegate sirens)

3. i intend to put 16 or 17inch wheels with 215 width, so engine DEFINETELY needs more power.

so taking all this into consideration i think ill hunt a bit for the CD20T turbo unit...

Edited by Linesh Anandkumar

4 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

Well as far as one stop shops for project cars go, I suppose you should talk to Lap57 or Platinum Auto. 

Then again since this is a diesel I don't know if they are the ideal choice, maybe you should talk to an off road guy since they have more experience with diesel performance. In that case try Bruce Motorsports.

Thanks! i will check Bruce

10 hours ago, Linesh Anandkumar said:

Thanks for your reply. i contacted WEP and they seemed a bit clueless and downright rejected a turbo kit since they don't do turbos for non turbo vehicles.

The reasons i'm putting a turbo is

1. vehicle is 23 years old, and something this ancient could use a bit of help. im thinking another 30hp boost would do

2. childhood dream is to own a car that goes "pssh psssh" when i let off the throttle (no i will not install those electronic wastegate sirens)

3. i intend to put 16 or 17inch wheels with 215 width, so engine DEFINETELY needs more power.

so taking all this into consideration i think ill hunt a bit for the CD20T turbo unit...

Hmm...could be that it is a diesel and a Nissan one at that that makes them a bit clueless. 
As Supra_Natural mentioned Platinum is an option, but depending on the workload they have and the weather outside the level of service you might get can vary.

I think you are going to have an issue with the whole turbo charging a diesel option....sadly there aren't many high power diesel options even with a turbo but they are pretty torquey...so you still can have that tire shredding launches. SO I suppose now you are thinking of getting a 20T and maybe putting on a larger turbo ?

14 hours ago, iRage said:

Hmm...could be that it is a diesel and a Nissan one at that that makes them a bit clueless. 
As Supra_Natural mentioned Platinum is an option, but depending on the workload they have and the weather outside the level of service you might get can vary.

I think you are going to have an issue with the whole turbo charging a diesel option....sadly there aren't many high power diesel options even with a turbo but they are pretty torquey...so you still can have that tire shredding launches. SO I suppose now you are thinking of getting a 20T and maybe putting on a larger turbo ?

you were right about the 20T. Basically all parts from a serena fits my vehicle,

so the current plan is to find a turbo pump, turbo and exhaust manifold off of a serena and add on a custom intercooler.

according to bruce  motorsports this setup would double up my current HP, so that is more than what i was expecting anyway. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 1:31 AM, Linesh Anandkumar said:

you were right about the 20T. Basically all parts from a serena fits my vehicle,

so the current plan is to find a turbo pump, turbo and exhaust manifold off of a serena and add on a custom intercooler.

according to bruce  motorsports this setup would double up my current HP, so that is more than what i was expecting anyway. 

EXCELLENT ! Please do keep us updated (regularly) on the build ! 

I am guessing he is going to increase the boost and then add the intercooler to help it to get that sort of power boost. THe 20T in stock form only got like 100hp over the 80ish(?) hp of the standard 20.

Edited by iRage

7 hours ago, iRage said:

Nice, will do. Not sure if i should open another thread but i'm video/photo documenting the whole process and ill start posting regularly

On an unrelated note, i just found out after doing some quick math, that the car is doing very close to 15km/l of DIESEL in this dilapidated state, which makes my 3rd gen prius seem redundant. 😃

11 hours ago, Linesh Anandkumar said:

Nice, will do. Not sure if i should open another thread but i'm video/photo documenting the whole process and ill start posting regularly

On an unrelated note, i just found out after doing some quick math, that the car is doing very close to 15km/l of DIESEL in this dilapidated state, which makes my 3rd gen prius seem redundant. 😃

Up to you...you can start a new thread under the correct topic/category and simply have this moved there as well for consistency...The other option is you can start a blog.

Depending on what you use the Hybrid for, it can actually do worst on fuel than a ICE car. A hybrid will do better if you are literally sitting in one place for a hour or so though :) But then in our climate the engine kicks in to keep the air conditioning on....

On 11/24/2021 at 7:07 PM, iRage said:

I am guessing he is going to increase the boost and then add the intercooler to help it to get that sort of power boost. THe 20T in stock form only got like 100hp over the 80ish(?) hp of the standard 20.

what he meant was double whatever the current hp output is..  original condition this is supposed to be doing 75hp, right now its pushing maybe 60.

but very torquey like you said, can launch the car from 3rd gear without any fuss. 

• Like 1