• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota corolla axio 144 convert to 2wd

Michan

Oh dear...what happened ? In Sri Lanka people do not change the transfer case oil and spoil it..same with the rear diff. Most just do the service shed service and do the oil changes like a 2WD.

The Axio 144 and 141 both have the same gear box, a K310 series CVT unit. Only difference is the 144 has a transfer case attached to the gearbox. So ifyou are disabling the AWD system

1. Remove the transfer case, transer gears, prop shaft.

2. Gear box, if you can find the casing of a 2WD gearbox then you can reuse your existing gearbox. Only thing is you need to remove some gearing inside the gearbox itself. Considering hwo common the 141 is and the fact that you cannot trust 99% of the baases to do a good job in converting your existing gearbox, might be cheaper for you to buy a new unit.

3. Rear end. This is where the complication arises. after removing the prop shaft...you can leave the rear diff and axles as it is. However, just leaving it like that is going to create issues in the future as the unit just dry runs and gets spoilt. Also, just leaving it like that is going to create too much drag (it weights about 50kg) so you will feel the car being sluggish and also screw up the fuel economy. This is what most maka baases do when converting AWD crossovers and sedans to 2WD for "patta" fuel figures.

If you choose to remove it...then you need to make sure that the rear hub is covered up properly from the inner side (the side where the axles connect to the hub (where the rubber boots are). I am not sure but I thikn you should be able to use the hubs off the 141. I say you might be because the 141 came with a torsen beam suspension with the hub fixed on to the beam. The 144 came with double wish bone suspension in the back. So the hub dimensions might be different (or might not be).

4. ECU...the car's current ECU will be expecting to activate the AWD unit so that the power gets sent to the back. So you will need to sort it out.I am not sure if it can be programmed or if you need to swap the ECU. I don't know if the 144 has a seperate AWD control unit. I do not think it does.

If you are to do the job properly, it is going to cost a bit. So you should think of whether you should convert it or try to import the part (remember, the conversion might hurt your resale value as well).

• 11 months later...

This article is so helpful to me because I also have a 4x4 Corolla Axio 2010 model. Imported it from Japan in October 2021 with the mileage at 92000. Now the mileage is at 139000 but am having issues with high pitched whining sound from the front yet the break system is fine. Also the same noise is so audible from the rear end...this happens when accelerating and decelerating. Please help me what should I do to fix this problem? Please help.

14 hours ago, Morton K. Nyirenda said:

This article is so helpful to me because I also have a 4x4 Corolla Axio 2010 model. Imported it from Japan in October 2021 with the mileage at 92000. Now the mileage is at 139000 but am having issues with high pitched whining sound from the front yet the break system is fine. Also the same noise is so audible from the rear end...this happens when accelerating and decelerating. Please help me what should I do to fix this problem? Please help.

First and foremost....can I ask when was the last time you changed the oil in the transfer case and rear differential. Bad oil in both of these usually results in whining noises and eventually lead to the components burning out.

They both need to be changed when you swap CVT fluid.

So try changing the fluid. Hopefully the transfer case and rear differential are not spoilt. 

Beyond that, it can range from everything from axles to brake components to others...but typically for these AWD systems, the whining occurs because of the transfer case and differential having bad oil and subsequently wearing out.