• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is the Beat Barrel Exhaust an Illegal Mod?

Commando_Orange

Hello all,

I purchased a Mitsubishi Lancer which has stock engine components except for the exhaust which has been swapped for a HKS beat barrel exhaust. 
At the toll gate on the highway I was pulled over by two cops and the senior cop told that I could face a fine up to 50,000/-
There are plenty of old vehicles on the road with these exhausts so I'm not sure what to do? I wasn't speeding or revving the engine like a maniac either and I have all the documents up to date including the emissions test...

Please advice,

*Note: I apologize if I have not complied with any forum rules, I am very new here and seeking urgent advice.

21 hours ago, Commando_Orange said:

Hello all,

I purchased a Mitsubishi Lancer which has stock engine components except for the exhaust which has been swapped for a HKS beat barrel exhaust. 
At the toll gate on the highway I was pulled over by two cops and the senior cop told that I could face a fine up to 50,000/-
There are plenty of old vehicles on the road with these exhausts so I'm not sure what to do? I wasn't speeding or revving the engine like a maniac either and I have all the documents up to date including the emissions test...

Please advice,

*Note: I apologize if I have not complied with any forum rules, I am very new here and seeking urgent advice.

Sadly it is..... Technically you cannot change/alter/modify your car from its original spec/design without the prior approval from the RMV. This includes anything from engines to exhausts to body kits. So yes...they even stop original Evos and WRXs, etc...and give a hard time about the exhaust. In such cases most have been able to talk themselves out of fines by showing that the car came with the big exhaust by showing the catalog, etc....Now...when it comes to actual aftermarket exhausts that are legal in Japan and everywhere else in the world, the issue is you can't exactly show catalogs, etc...or even compliancy cetificates (and even if you could the cops would not understand jack squat). To make it worst, there is no proper legal sound limits set or mechanisms to test it on the field by cops...there are hints to certain db levels for sound, but is completely useless because the cops stopping you do not have the equipment to measure the sound levels when they stop you.

So yes...you are totally at the mercy of the cop that is stopping you and his mood at the time. What you could do is sort of try to make the exhaust a bit less obvious (visually and audibly).   

Yes they're illegal - specially City cops tend to be extremely harsh on them 

off topic (hence green) - there was such a modified barrel exhaust on the old lancer I got and was wondering if I'd get into trouble with it - it did me a favor recently and decided to fall of suddenly (yeah it was corroded) problem solved! 

On 6/8/2022 at 1:41 PM, matroska said:

off topic (hence green) - there was such a modified barrel exhaust on the old lancer I got and was wondering if I'd get into trouble with it - it did me a favor recently and decided to fall of suddenly (yeah it was corroded) problem solved! 

First thing that came to my mind:

Cop : Mahattaya...silencere ko ?

Matroska : Dickey-e'

Cop : Original da ?

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2022 at 4:31 PM, iRage said:

Sadly it is..... Technically you cannot change/alter/modify your car from its original spec/design without the prior approval from the RMV. This includes anything from engines to exhausts to body kits. So yes...they even stop original Evos and WRXs, etc...and give a hard time about the exhaust. In such cases most have been able to talk themselves out of fines by showing that the car came with the big exhaust by showing the catalog, etc....Now...when it comes to actual aftermarket exhausts that are legal in Japan and everywhere else in the world, the issue is you can't exactly show catalogs, etc...or even compliancy cetificates (and even if you could the cops would not understand jack squat). To make it worst, there is no proper legal sound limits set or mechanisms to test it on the field by cops...there are hints to certain db levels for sound, but is completely useless because the cops stopping you do not have the equipment to measure the sound levels when they stop you.

So yes...you are totally at the mercy of the cop that is stopping you and his mood at the time. What you could do is sort of try to make the exhaust a bit less obvious (visually and audibly).   

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it a lot especially since this question has been asked a few times with no satisfying answer. Also major respect towards you as I've seen some of your previous answers which are quite detailed and very helpful especially as a newbie.

By trying to make the exhaust less obvious, you mean by driving at low rpm's? The exhaust itself is jacked up as high as it could go and the car body and engine is basically stock aside from the evo spoiler that's been added. I don't think a valve system could be added into this exhaust due to it's design and generally speaking, at under 3000 the exhaust is barely loud in a large road such as the Colombo-Galle road. 

I also did a bit of research and I could be wrong but the particular exhaust I have is an HKS Hi which is JASMA approved (within the decibel limit set by Japan Automotive Sports Muffler Association and some forums have given numbers such as it being less than 80 at idle and less than 95 at 4500 rpm)

This is probably an obvious no but is it possible to take it to RMV and get it approved if it's below the decibel limit? Or does RMV borderline reject modifications outside stock specifications?

Ultimately I don't want to end up having my license taken away when I'm outstation and frankly I'm not psychotically in love with having a loud exhaust as this is my first car and I'm extremely new to driving too. I just don't want to spend the extra money unnecessarily; buying a new muffler and having a mechanic installing it. 

Also is the 50,000 fine a reasonable figure or do you think he was bullshitting me on that number?

On 6/8/2022 at 10:11 AM, matroska said:

Thank you for your response!

Colombo cops seem to be somewhat fine with it, haven't had an incident *yet* but it's the cops outstation that I'm worried. I got stopped at the freaking toll gate and I can't imagine if they stopped me in a distant city, having me come all the way there without my vehicle to get my license back. That's literally my worst fear. 

Funny enough, if you can afford it, you could technically buy the original muffler and toss it in the trunk. Then claim you're on your way to the mechanic? (I personally wouldn't do this as I'm just starting my driving career but I mean it's an option eh?)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Commando_Orange said:

s the 50,000 fine a reasonable figure or do you think he was bullshitting me on that number?

There was a revision of fines not so long ago and the newvalue was somethinglike 50,000LKR per modification. Again, it is pretty much a luck of the draw sort of thing and totally depends on the cop. Even in Colombo certain police precincts (for e.g. like Cinnamon Gardens) are known to be more harsh than others.

By trying to make the exhaust less obvious, you mean by driving at low rpm's?

Yes...that would help....at least then they need to see it from the back.

JASMA approved (within the decibel limit set by Japan Automotive Sports Muffler Association and some forums have given numbers such as it being less than 80 at idle and less than 95 at 4500 rpm)

This is probably an obvious no but is it possible to take it to RMV and get it approved if it's below the decibel limit? Or does RMV borderline reject modifications outside stock specifications?

Sadly these certifications do not mean much for the local govt. pundits. You can try...you never know. But it is very unlikely.

• Thanks 1