• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which Car is he Best Option For Me ?

Kalindu Abilash

Question

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a used car that's not too old for a family of three, but we will use it too go on road trips often

Need to have a lot of space, low maintenance cost, not too bad second market, good parts availability as well as low fuel consumption Under 70 Lacks (means around 65)

but a little catch, needs to be fashioned and do some racing actions (Some means you know a lot)

Sooo which car and which model year of that will be the best option for me

20 answers to this question

On 11/13/2022 at 7:48 PM, Kalindu Abilash said:

racing actions

huh? what kind of 'racing action' do you have in mid?

On 11/13/2022 at 7:48 PM, Kalindu Abilash said:

but a little catch, needs to be fashioned and do some racing

Swift RS 2017 comes to mind - but you can't find a lot of space on it 

This is like one of those a Monk, a Priest and Rabbi walked in to a strip club type stories...

1. If you want space..you are looking at station wagons and crossovers and minivans. None of them are really sporty unles you are willing to dish out for something like a sporty Euro crossover thingies (which we do not have much of anyway). or you can settle for something like a enry level Audi crossover or something...but then I dont think you will find one for your budget and it is not the type of vehicle you can walk in to the first shop in Panchi and get parts for.

2. Sports and economical do not go hand in hand. 

3. If you are talking about a family car that is engaging to drive..well that is one thing..but not necessarily "sports" (but you can take it to some sporting events for some sports related action).

4. As @matroska mentioned, something like Swift RS or a Swift Sports or a Fit/Vitz RS can be a bit fun to drive..but not for sports action (unless it is a Swift Sports). But then again a small car like that is not the nicest to go on long road trips (tyou will eel a lot of road fatigue)

5. What is your idea of sports anyway ?

6. Why not something like a Lancer EX or a a FD series CIvic ? <how much are those anyway ?> Decent cars, engaging to drive and enough room in the back for a family of three.

You could look at cars like the Mark X but that would be out of your budget these days (unless it is a not too loved example). I suppose something like a CB series Accord would also fit your engaging drive need. Looking at the adverts....There is a Honda Stream for sale on the AL classified. The Stream is a fun wagon. On other sites I see a  Peugeot 407 and even a 2011 Sportage within your budget....

But..then again..these cars are not the cheap to run with the help of the ghame' baas type of cars (i.e. you wont find pats all over the place).

Just buy an elephant back Corolla wagon. DIESEL ! cheap to run....and it has so much torque that you feel like you can drag a jumbo jet.

18 hours ago, iRage said:

Just buy an elephant back Corolla wagon. DIESEL ! cheap to run....and it has so much torque that you feel like you can drag a jumbo jet.

Those old school Toyos with 2C's are a whole different experience.  owned a CV30 Camry with a 2C turbo - that had sooo much torque. It pulls like a locomotive. Beleive it or not it's a really fun car to drive - all that torque and the turbo kicking in. Even the non turbo charged plain old 2C's should be fun- never drove a corolla wagon but have test driven a CE90 Corolla with a 2C and I expect its similar. 

OP could buy a fleet of these if they have parking space 😬

A Quite Decent Camry/Vista CV30 would cost around 2M i guess and 2.5 will probably get you a Good Elephant Back. It'll even take you most places these fancy pavement princess "SUV"'s will go.

Edited by matroska

Hi, I've used a Mitsuhashi Lancer (CS series) where I had very good experience, go for CS3 - GLX. You can try Lancer EX as well got for GLS, GT if you can find one. Currently using a Korando (2015) and still don't have any complains. 

There are topics covering all these models. You can refer to them for additional details of these vehicles. (I've used them to make my decisions- when you're in doubt drop a message to person in the topic- so far I've received replies from them.)

Good luck in buying your ride.

On 11/19/2022 at 1:09 PM, matroska said:

Those old school Toyos with 2C's are a whole different experience.  owned a CV30 Camry with a 2C turbo - that had sooo much torque. It pulls like a locomotive. Beleive it or not it's a really fun car to drive - all that torque and the turbo kicking in. Even the non turbo charged plain old 2C's should be fun

IKR ? Quite a surprising experience. You expect it to be a flat and tractor like experience (like an old Vanette or something)...but it just feels like a tank.

We had  a CE 100 sprinter 1991 manual and  Caldina CT196 1996 auto both with 2C engines.

Terribly under powers around 80nhp or so but lot of torque and once it starts going you can maintain the speed. But hardly any acceleration. Going uphill overtaking needs lot of planning.

But they were much better than contemporary offerings from Nissan or any other Japs

Built was bullet proof and they kept on going year after year 

On 11/21/2022 at 5:02 PM, iRage said:

IKR ? Quite a surprising experience. You expect it to be a flat and tractor like experience (like an old Vanette or something)...but it just feels like a tank.

6 hours ago, kush said:

We had  a CE 100 sprinter 1991 manual and  Caldina CT196 1996 auto both with 2C engines.

Terribly under powers around 80nhp or so but lot of torque and once it starts going you can maintain the speed. But hardly any acceleration. Going uphill overtaking needs lot of planning.

But they were much better than contemporary offerings from Nissan or any other Japs

Built was bullet proof and they kept on going year after year 

The 2C's were probably had a lot more power and torque than the Nissan counterparts - LD20's that came with vanettes and old bluebirds and the CD17 on the SB13. 

18 hours ago, kush said:

erribly under powers around 80nhp

True....that is mainly because by around the mid 90s, Japanese emission regulations were making it very difficult for diesel powered PASSENGER vehicles...so most were made for commercial use (which had less strict standards..and still do). Yes...you got all the grades and stuff in the passenger vehicle segment but they were mainly targetted for fleet sales. This is what ultimately led to 0 diesel passenger cars in Japan (including SUVs except for a very few models).In fact during the period Japanese people were brainwashed in to thinking that diesel vehicles were bad for the environment and health. That mentality changed only a few years ago.

So putting horse power was not a big concern. It was all about torque.

5 hours ago, iRage said:

True....that is mainly because by around the mid 90s, Japanese emission regulations were making it very difficult for diesel powered PASSENGER vehicles...so most were made for commercial use (which had less strict standards..and still do). Yes...you got all the grades and stuff in the passenger vehicle segment but they were mainly targetted for fleet sales. This is what ultimately led to 0 diesel passenger cars in Japan (including SUVs except for a very few models).In fact during the period Japanese people were brainwashed in to thinking that diesel vehicles were bad for the environment and health. That mentality changed only a few years ago.

So putting horse power was not a big concern. It was all about torque.

That may be the case why the Caldina CT 196 was categorized as a Van. Anyway they were mostly used by sales teams I guess.

On 11/24/2022 at 9:24 AM, kush said:

That may be the case why the Caldina CT 196 was categorized as a Van. Anyway they were mostly used by sales teams I guess.

Caldinas...Corollas came in both van (for commercial purposes) and wagons (for passenger/personal use). What we in SL call wagons are actually all VANs (unless they are grades like G or L ourings, etc...). Also, in some cases with similar cars...the vans got diesel variants a few years longer than thier "wagon" counterparts. Yes...the van variants were used by companies for deliveries and tool vans for certain professions. Back hte day the Corolla/Sprinter vans were called the fastest vehicle in Japan because various tradesmen zipped aorund like maniacs in these things. The modern day "fastest car in Japan" is the ProSuc series (Probox and Suceed vans) :D 

6 hours ago, iRage said:

Caldinas...Corollas came in both van (for commercial purposes) and wagons (for passenger/personal use). What we in SL call wagons are actually all VANs (unless they are grades like G or L ourings, etc...). Also, in some cases with similar cars...the vans got diesel variants a few years longer than thier "wagon" counterparts. Yes...the van variants were used by companies for deliveries and tool vans for certain professions. Back hte day the Corolla/Sprinter vans were called the fastest vehicle in Japan because various tradesmen zipped aorund like maniacs in these things. The modern day "fastest car in Japan" is the ProSuc series (Probox and Suceed vans) :D 

[off topic]

An overwhelming majority of the wagons are Vans - and some G/L touring wagons turn out to be vans with the badge :D @iRage what model code was the passenger variant of the KE72/KE74 ?- every KE7X I have seen here is the van version and does have the v at the end of the model code.  

Edited by matroska

1 hour ago, matroska said:

what model code was the passenger variant of the KE72/KE74

The wagon variant was KE73G. There are a handful of actual KE73Gs in the country (both DX and GL variants).

Yes....the L and G Touring conversions are popular in SL...some are better than others (the cheapest ones are just badges and lights swapped). But at the end of the day they all have th van suspension (at least everything I have seen)

5 minutes ago, iRage said:

day they all have th van suspension

Yup this is the first give away - a few years back we went to see what was claimed to be a legit Touring wagon for a friend - we just had a look over the gate saw it was a van and left without even knocking :D 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, matroska said:

Yup this is the first give away - a few years back we went to see what was claimed to be a legit Touring wagon for a friend - we just had a look over the gate saw it was a van and left without even knocking

What is sad is that sometimes (many times) people have no idea that what they had bought as an original G or L touring is actually a conversion. So there is a high chance that the guy selling it beleived that it was an original when he told you guys it was an original :)

On 11/29/2022 at 4:42 AM, iRage said:

What is sad is that sometimes (many times) people have no idea that what they had bought as an original G or L touring is actually a conversion. So there is a high chance that the guy selling it beleived that it was an original when he told you guys it was an original :)

for AE/CE 1XX series wagons / vans, you can easily distinguish by the chassis code. Van would start with AE/CE 106 or 108 where as original L touring and G touring chassis number will start from AE/CE 100. 

2 hours ago, harshansenadhir said:

for AE/CE 1XX series wagons / vans, you can easily distinguish by the chassis code. Van would start with AE/CE 106 or 108 where as original L touring and G touring chassis number will start from AE/CE 100. 

...and you are wrong ! well somewhat wrong...and this is how mnay people buy vans thinking that they are buying a wagon or it is a wagon.

You get VAN variants with the AE/CE part and numbers from 102,103,104,105,106,107 and 109. Also...instead of the AE/CE part you also get EE (for vans). SO n, not all vans are AE/CE106 or AE/CE108. In fact AE/CE108 is not actually a VAN. It is a business wagon. Business wagons have bits of the Wagon variant (steering wheel, seat belts, sometimes the meter cluster, and options like power windows for the front. You get EE108 (which has a 3E 1.5L petrol engine) or CE108 (2C diesel). The trim level is a L type...

You get WAGONS that are AE/CE but also numbers 102, 104, 108, 100 and 101. So no...not all wagons are AE/CE100s.

In Toyotas, in this case the Corolla, the A or C signifies the engine line (A for Series engines, 5A or 4A, C for C series diesel engines,2C and 3C;  and E for E series engines, in this case the 4E,3E and in somemarkets 2Eengines).  The E1xx, signifies the Corolla E platform. The 10x part signifies a variant number....

The only way to distinguish a Van from a Wagon...is at the end of the first part of the chassis code (i.e the AE100 or AE102 part)..there will be a V for vans and G for wagons. In Wagons you get business wagons (L, L Extra, etc..) ...for that you need to either look at the number part (i.e. 10x part) or look at the model code and then look it up.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 8:26 PM, iRage said:

This is like one of those a Monk, a Priest and Rabbi walked in to a strip club type stories...

1. If you want space..you are looking at station wagons and crossovers and minivans. None of them are really sporty unles you are willing to dish out for something like a sporty Euro crossover thingies (which we do not have much of anyway). or you can settle for something like a enry level Audi crossover or something...but then I dont think you will find one for your budget and it is not the type of vehicle you can walk in to the first shop in Panchi and get parts for.

2. Sports and economical do not go hand in hand. 

3. If you are talking about a family car that is engaging to drive..well that is one thing..but not necessarily "sports" (but you can take it to some sporting events for some sports related action).

4. As @matroska mentioned, something like Swift RS or a Swift Sports or a Fit/Vitz RS can be a bit fun to drive..but not for sports action (unless it is a Swift Sports). But then again a small car like that is not the nicest to go on long road trips (tyou will eel a lot of road fatigue)

5. What is your idea of sports anyway ?

6. Why not something like a Lancer EX or a a FD series CIvic ? <how much are those anyway ?> Decent cars, engaging to drive and enough room in the back for a family of three.

You could look at cars like the Mark X but that would be out of your budget these days (unless it is a not too loved example). I suppose something like a CB series Accord would also fit your engaging drive need. Looking at the adverts....There is a Honda Stream for sale on the AL classified. The Stream is a fun wagon. On other sites I see a  Peugeot 407 and even a 2011 Sportage within your budget.... GMC Chauffer Service Dubai

But..then again..these cars are not the cheap to run with the help of the ghame' baas type of cars (i.e. you wont find pats all over the place).

It depends as you are referring most are the SUV, in SUV the options you are referring are the budget cars. but i would suggest if you can go with GMC Yukon if you have budget, I used GMC Yukon in Dubai and it is really impressive car.

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-21 at 11.44.59 AM (1).jpeg

Edited by Amer M Nizar Abo Ghaloun

On 11/30/2022 at 2:07 PM, iRage said:

somemarkets 2Eengines

Since we've gone OT anyway - I only recently found out that the Tercel/Corsa(EL50sries) for the local market ( I believe the brand new one's were imported through the agents) from as Late as 1997 had the carbureted 2E's on them. I could not find this on the Toyota Japan website - the Tercel/Corsa's all had either the 4E or the 5A. So it has to be for the developing markets they pushed this. But it's still crazy when you think that even as late as 1997/1998 people bought brand new cars with a carb on them and running an engine from the mid 80's. the 2E on the EP71 itself was a bit underpowered I wonder how it fares on the larger Sedan's like Tercel. 

Edited by matroska

3 hours ago, matroska said:

Since we've gone OT anyway - I only recently found out that the Tercel/Corsa(EL50sries) for the local market ( I believe the brand new one's were imported through the agents) from as Late as 1997 had the carbureted 2E's on them. I could not find this on the Toyota Japan website - the Tercel/Corsa's all had either the 4E or the 5A. So it has to be for the developing markets they pushed this. But it's still crazy when you think that even as late as 1997/1998 people bought brand new cars with a carb on them and running an engine from the mid 80's. the 2E on the EP71 itself was a bit underpowered I wonder how it fares on the larger Sedan's like Tercel. 

Yupp...even the Corolla 110 came with carberated engines for the lower spec variants (the same 2E engine as the Tercel in export markets). The export model Corsa/Tercel/Corolla II was badged as the Tercel in almost all export markets. Actually the Tercel retained the carberated engine until the Tercel was replaced by the Soluna in 2001/2002.