• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Alfa Romeo

Pb2k

Well I like your analysis, we think alike B). Maintenence at 100k a year is a reasonable figure and yes you might even save something of that. Engine won't blow up is cam belt changes are done on time :D !

Yes it's Italian and that's a bit of an unquantifiable trait that only a few will understand and appreciate. Go for it mate!!!

While I like the analysis too I do not think that owning an Italian car is a rational thing. Its passion.

The 156 is by far the best you can do and specially for our local conditions.

I only wonder that if the passion is not there and you are buying it as its cheap (relatively) and are worried about fuel etc both of which are valid btw, those are not reasons to buy an Alfa.

I have a friend whose dad has the latest one and he's a true blue dyed in the wool enthusiast of alfas. He's on his third or fourth.

I had a 166 for six months in another country and enjoyed it but as a second car only.

Had a jap jeep for regular use ;)

Again these are my opinions only and I would be first in line to congratulate the new owner so all the very best and as GTAm said GO FOR IT !

yes...thats true...i wasn't interested in the Alfa romeo before because it was way above my bugdet...Haven't decided to go for it yet...have to consider it because this alpha only just fits my budget and if there are any unexpected mechanical problems i'm screwed. btw its going to be my first car.

Well this was the only 'luxury' car i've seen for this price. I couldn't even think of getting a Bmw or a merc for this price...honestly i dont have the passion you guys in the forum have for the Alpha romeo...you guys are hardcore..!! But am liking it more by the day...

GTAm where do you get your spare parts?

Yes its the black one @ Nawala...you know about it?

I am a bit intrigued by the spare prices and the fact you say that if you import it directly from Singapore it would be half the price.

Any reason why people do not do that ?

The guys who carry it over here keep a 100% mark up for their efforts. :o !

People do not have a way off bring it over unless say they have a close friend working on an airline etc...

yes...thats true...i wasn't interested in the Alfa romeo before because it was way above my bugdet...Haven't decided to go for it yet...have to consider it because this alpha only just fits my budget and if there are any unexpected mechanical problems i'm screwed. btw its going to be my first car.

Well this was the only 'luxury' car i've seen for this price. I couldn't even think of getting a Bmw or a merc for this price...honestly i dont have the passion you guys in the forum have for the Alpha romeo...you guys are hardcore..!! But am liking it more by the day...

GTAm where do you get your spare parts?

Yes its the black one @ Nawala...you know about it?

Take it to Indikas and get a thorough evaluation before buying it. If there are lots of issues then he will tell you how much they will cost to get fixed. You can use this as a bargaining tool. I'm sure the guy will agree to this as the car's been there for a while. You need to check it out fully to avoid nasty surprises. Buy it low, do all that's needed then you can enjoy it.

We get the spare parts thru Indika, or if there's a pal going to Sing then we ask him to get it for us. There are other guys in Panchikawatte who will get the spares too and have some spares in stock as well.

Don't worry about the passion stuff it will slowly catch on and infect you as you go if you like cars and driving. My brother(155) and father(156) both use Alfas now after pinching mine.....

You're right if it's a BMW it will be much older at this price. The 156 was the contemporary for the E46 and one of those are 3m and above right? Eventhough it's fwd (and so limited by this) as opposed to rwd for the BM the Alfa is more exciting to drive IMHO. It make the BM feel like an old man's car....

As for a Merc it will be even older than both and it IS an old man's drive :D !!

While I like the analysis too I do not think that owning an Italian car is a rational thing. Its passion.

The 156 is by far the best you can do and specially for our local conditions.

I only wonder that if the passion is not there and you are buying it as its cheap (relatively) and are worried about fuel etc both of which are valid btw, those are not reasons to buy an Alfa.

I have a friend whose dad has the latest one and he's a true blue dyed in the wool enthusiast of alfas. He's on his third or fourth.

I had a 166 for six months in another country and enjoyed it but as a second car only.

Had a jap jeep for regular use ;)

Again these are my opinions only and I would be first in line to congratulate the new owner so all the very best and as GTAm said GO FOR IT !

Very good points Prad. Hope Diva will consider these comments.

The 156 is the most sorted Alfa in SL since we do not have the GT, 159 etc. It is the newest. Actually the 147 is even newer and better than the 156 but there are only 2 here...

My father and I both use 156s on a daily basis. My father's car is my old car the 1.6 and we had only two major problems. One was the AC (straightforward job but it was messed up by this place in Kotte) and the other was the rev stepper motor and some valve....... I forget the name now, which made the car miss and stall now and again. Apparently it's a common problem with these cars. It cost 20k if I remember right. There are other annoying things like the rear windows get stuck when you don't use them often or central locking going crazy, but these did not cost anything to fix. We also replaced suspension and last week the clutch kit, but these are usual repairs that any car would bring. Clutch kit 24k (12,500 in Singa) and Clutch bearing 19k (should be about 9k in Sing) were a bit heavy. I wonder how much these parts would cost on a car like say a Honda Accord?

My car is only months old with me and so far it's been only tyres... and usual servicing.

My bro uses a 2.0 wide body 155 (now over a year). Strange enough his experience has not been too bad either after an initial large expense (this car was sitting for a long time).

Prad tell us about your 166 please!!!

[

Prad tell us about your 166 please!!!

Hiya,

Was lucky enough to be living in the UAE.

Had a 166 - 3.0 litre 24 valve. I think it was Twin Spark as well cant remember.

The colour scheme was the special pearlescent paint ( Changes color from different directions)

Man what a car, had a Prado for everyday use, but the Alfa brought a smile to my face every time. The roads were made for it. The on and off ramps of the highways were wonderful times.

Was an Automatic, and that was the weakest link in my opinion, as engaging reverse was a science....... :angry-smiley-024:

Went on a few long trips and was pure heaven. Touched an "indicated "225 Kmph with my wife and kids sleeping in the back seat and my friend checking the speedo from the front.

Rock steady with RPM at 4500 at an indicated 225 Kmph ! Chickened out as got worried about the family :)

The gauges and interior were superb, and had real character. I have seen a 166 here as well, hats of to the person who bought it and has it.

cheers

Pradfred

Cool experience Prad. The Alfisti the world over are mourning the demise of that V6 engine. The new one is a uses a GM block and it's like some sacrilage for most of these guys. They await the all new Italian V6 which will come in both Petrol and Diesel form in 2009.

There are five 166s here. Four are 3.0 24v cars and one is a TS. There's one going cheap btw and I am so tempted, but really can't do much in this economy to justify running around in a 3.0 V6 with my income :( !!!

Cool experience Prad. The Alfisti the world over are mourning the demise of that V6 engine. The new one is a uses a GM block and it's like some sacrilage for most of these guys. They await the all new Italian V6 which will come in both Petrol and Diesel form in 2009.

There are five 166s here. Four are 3.0 24v cars and one is a TS. There's one going cheap btw and I am so tempted, but really can't do much in this economy to justify running around in a 3.0 V6 with my income :( !!!

i was rather interested in that myself and spoke to Fulvia about that particular car....sadly my V6 refuses to part company so i'm gonna have to wait a while till i get my hands on an Italian V6 (Aegis? :unsure: )

Here are official pics of the new Mi.To. As expected it's very attractive, but I'm not too sure about those front lamps. Would've preferred them a bit smaller.

mito2po0.jpg

mito1fc0.jpg

mito3fs0.jpg

Devinda you might be able to trade the Z in for a Mito if and when it is launched here ;) !

• 3 weeks later...
Hmmm I think my memory is fading :o I could not recall any connection between 166 and my silence! Okay will call you this evening!

:rolleyes: No No GTAm, your memory's fine .

Its just that your mail said there are 6 or more 166's in da country and some were for sale so I got all excited...... :action-smiley-060:

Now am buyin another Nissan....... yeah yeah have to be sane :unsure: in our old age.......kids.....comfort.....etc etc

A 166 would look nice in da garage..... <_< ........

Drove my MX3 autozam upto to Nuwara Eliya - left at 4.30 am and reached nuwara Eliya by 7 am.

had an absolute ball on the road......we must do a combined drive.........

comin back I saw a white Honda Integra Type R - very nice car and sounded really nice....wonder who the lucky guy is ....

Did not try to race him....know the difference :action-smiley-060:

:rolleyes: No No GTAm, your memory's fine .

Its just that your mail said there are 6 or more 166's in da country and some were for sale so I got all excited...... :action-smiley-060:

Now am buyin another Nissan....... yeah yeah have to be sane :unsure: in our old age.......kids.....comfort.....etc etc

A 166 would look nice in da garage..... <_< ........

Drove my MX3 autozam upto to Nuwara Eliya - left at 4.30 am and reached nuwara Eliya by 7 am.

had an absolute ball on the road......we must do a combined drive.........

comin back I saw a white Honda Integra Type R - very nice car and sounded really nice....wonder who the lucky guy is ....

Did not try to race him....know the difference :action-smiley-060:

i've also seen a white integra type R in very good shape blasting through colombo roads... the guy seems to be good with his machine :)

nice to see an original type R once in while when there are hundreds of fake type R's with only decals :lol:

The Union Bank 166 is going v cheap. Advertised last Sunday as well. You will need to spend 300k on it to get it into top shape according to Indika. But 166 spares are very expensive.

Wow 2.5 hours to Nu El? Shocking man :blink: !!!! Are you sure that you're not telling us about a secret short cut ;) ? My best is 3.5 and that's coming down. But you've probably driven at the best time. 4.30am. Still incredible tho..!

I was there over the wk end too. Took the 1.6 156 as I seem to have lost a few horses on the 2.0 suddenly :( . And the stereo is a lot better on the 1.6!

Took 4.5 hrs going up thru Hatton with a long (40 min) tea break, and 4 hours coming down thru Kandy with a short stop. The car was fully loaded - 3 passengers, me and luggage and it rained a lot of the time!

But I truly truly enjoyed the drive thoroughly. The handling was absolutely a joy even though the car was heavy with 4 people and their stuff! And grip was great even on the soaking wet roads!

Yes let's do a combined drive after the season!

The Union Bank 166 is going v cheap. Advertised last Sunday as well. You will need to spend 300k on it to get it into top shape according to Indika. But 166 spares are very expensive.

Wow 2.5 hours to Nu El? Shocking man :blink: !!!! Are you sure that you're not telling us about a secret short cut ;) ? My best is 3.5 and that's coming down. But you've probably driven at the best time. 4.30am. Still incredible tho..!

Yes let's do a combined drive after the season!

:rolleyes:

ha ha no secret shortcut.

thats why I love the mazda. Not enough power to die in, but whatever is there is enough to cane the living daytlights oiut of !

I thrashed up and thrashed down and coming back it was raning. The car never put a foot wrong.

had her for 10 years now and when you know a lady so long, you get to know when to push and when to back off :angry-smiley-048:

Handling is what counts mate.

Had a stupid crazy SOB ^&^%$#@#$ in a Coralla 121 who was cutting thw white line and overtaking on blind corners....I pulled to a side and let the moron go....why stand in the way of lunacy? we must start a discussion about these guys in 121's who think they are driving a Toyota F1 car......( Madz not you man <_< )

even this morninfg a 121 swipes by in a corner with double white lines............

Call me about the 166.....missed you then in NE are you going up for Fox hill?

l

thats why I love the mazda. Not enough power to die in, but whatever is there is enough to cane the living daytlights oiut of !

I thrashed up and thrashed down and coming back it was raning. The car never put a foot wrong.

had her for 10 years now and when you know a lady so long, you get to know when to push and when to back off :angry-smiley-048:

Had a stupid crazy SOB ^&^%$#@#$ in a Coralla 121 who was cutting thw white line and overtaking on blind corners....I pulled to a side and let the moron go....why stand in the way of lunacy? we must start a discussion about these guys in 121's who think they are driving a Toyota F1 car......( Madz not you man <_< )

even this morninfg a 121 swipes by in a corner with double white lines............

l

121 mafia? :P

:)

The mafia would rather cut their fingers off than be seen in a corolla dontcha think he he .

Now am sure we gonna have millions of corolla owners getting all antzy ......

Oh well who has that line which Jeremy C says about corolla = flour ?

Ripper how goes the road trip?

l

Must have been a great drive mate. Yes as I always maintain it's handling that is important. And handling on our poor surfaces too.

When we set off from Nu El town to watch the Radella Climb my friend tried desperately to keep up in his ES Civic but a after a few corners he was lost and we had to wait a couple of mins for them at Radella B) .

Your right about the 121 Corollas but there are a few other cars that also qualify for having lunatics at the wheel :lol: . I had a Hiaces and a Civic hatch holding the middle of the road and blocking me for miles and not letting me through!

Is Foxhill on the 20th?

l

Must have been a great drive mate. Yes as I always maintain it's handling that is important. And handling on our poor surfaces too.

When we set off from Nu El town to watch the Radella Climb my friend tried desperately to keep up in his ES Civic but a after a few corners he was lost and we had to wait a couple of mins for them at Radella B) .

Your right about the 121 Corollas but there are a few other cars that also qualify for having lunatics at the wheel :lol: . I had a Hiaces and a Civic hatch holding the middle of the road and blocking me for miles and not letting me through!

Is Foxhill on the 20th?

l

Is Foxhill on the 20th?