• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Colombo Traffic Arangements Good Or Bad

jilbuwa

I know what you mean nexgen, i used to work in duplication road and parking was a nightmare then having to switch sides at 12pm but now if no parking and most companies dont offer adequate parking space for everybody it can cause serious inconvenience,

and i know exactly what u mean about kottu, once i really wanted to drop into pilawoos and have an ice milo but twice circled and tried could not find any parking and i saw a cop coming my way so i just pulled out and went to pizza hut instead, and had pizza instead of kottu and ice milo sob sob, and i am only in SL for so little time, pizza i can have anywhere but pilawoos ice milo :alc:

well nexgen, me thinks if then number of cars in colombo keeps increasing there is no possible way there is enough parking space for all of them, so the only solution is multi story parking lots, in places, when majestic used to be free, i used to park there and walk to close by places, now that other place opposite majestic. I think if there was a shuttle bus service which is frequent enough from multi story arround the gall road up and then back via duplication road or something, i am sure it will catch on, if road side parking is banned, which i am sure at some point it would have to be cos both galle road and duplication road cannot be expanded, and any changes in the road structure will take decades.

The Don

I think its lots of fun :alc: Lots of people 'rat racing' so to say! and lots of confused people going in circles! But this should be a decent move in the long run. But these Guys really need to make all the pot holes in the road- kinnda tough to avoid them with 4 lane traffic and the busses on RA deMel dont really help.

Ya u can say that again..... the pot holes are a killer...... the worst situation is my office is on the RA de Mel Rd, and the buses create such a havoc with the horns and the odd sound which is like a beat barrel fixed....

All in all it looks nice, just wish the dudes ( 3 wheelers and slow guys )would keep off the middle lanes

There are a few private car parks (multi-storey). Fancy buildings like WTC, Crescat Towers, Premier Pacific Pinnacle etc have their cars parks.

Also Asiri Surgical has a dedicated car-park building on Kirimandala Mawatha.

But for public parking, its still not feasible. They did a calculation for a proposed park on the bare land opposite the Hilton where Central Bank employees park (on the bend behind the police station in Fort). They have to charge 1000 bucks a car a day or something to break-even.

Sadly the SL traffic situation ( and a lot of other things for that matter) is a classic example of how little foresight and planning our leaders have had thoughout the years since independance.

SL should ideally have a separate traffic and public transport management ministry.

Hey all!

I think the traffic arrangement is not so bad, only they need to put up sign boards way ahead of turns so that people know where to turn and where not to!

Btw are those condemned cars on the pavements for real? How did they get permission from the families to put up signs like that :D sad scene anyway, i didnt know there was a crash like that opposite pilas

There are a few private car parks (multi-storey). Fancy buildings like WTC, Crescat Towers, Premier Pacific Pinnacle etc have their cars parks.

Also Asiri Surgical has a dedicated car-park building on Kirimandala Mawatha.

But for public parking, its still not feasible. They did a calculation for a proposed park on the bare land opposite the Hilton where Central Bank employees park (on the bend behind the police station in Fort). They have to charge 1000 bucks a car a day or something to break-even.

Hmm, thats not good news, i dont think anybody can afford to pay that much. But in Fort the parking situation is really pretty bad. I dont think there is enough land available in colombo for non multi storey type parking. its either that or, a good park and ride system or better public transport.

Yeah there was a smashed Kia parketed in front of Pilawoos as well- with a like message.

i saw both of those...thought they were crashes left uncleared by the owners!!! :D later was told by a freiend that it's been left as a deterant to errant motorists...but kinda an eye sore n mood killer don't ya say? :(

oh n apparently there is another one near Havelocks as well it seems.. :hah:

i saw both of those...thought they were crashes left uncleared by the owners!!! :D later was told by a freiend that it's been left as a deterant to errant motorists...but kinda an eye sore n mood killer don't ya say? :(

oh n apparently there is another one near Havelocks as well it seems.. :hah:

I'm surprised that none of our Karayas have not tried stealing parts or the whole cars as yet- specially the IST :P

Normally abt 10 to 15 times per week i drive to pettah, so the New traffic plan is gud for me less trafic and today there were no traffic at all

So its gud for me n im happy abt the new plan bt driving on the other side of the road make me feel nerves

I'm surprised that none of our Karayas have not tried stealing parts or the whole cars as yet- specially the IST :(

:hah: True that. But looking at the one near Odel, doesn't seem to have gone fast enough to deploy airbags, leave alone kill 4 ppl :D unless its supposed to mean he ran them over or summin.

dudes i spoke to a friend in advertising and it's apparently just an ad campaign... no one was killed in any of those cars... i've only seen the march on havelock road and that was definitely no death trap...

Well I guess thats a pretty short lived campaign then... I notice all the cars have been removed today.. Maybe someone said it's a security threat or something.

also beware of the pedestrians crossing coz they are not used to galle road being one way...so they only look one side. i saw 2 incidents happening like this today.

The new routes are kind of OK but seriously during the evening I feel it's a bit clogged up. The is the situation where people zig-zag across due to most of them not knowing where to head off to. Then the problem of changing lanes with out a signal.

Not to mention our SL culture " DO NOT LET ANY 1 CUT IN FRONT OF U" we seriously need to change that mentality as some folks would just be trying to change lanes.

As some have said - Some large sings (Overhead) like they have in other countries would help drivers get in the lane they want earlier rather than right at the turn-off causing a block.

Nice to see they are removing the islands......

Radio this morning said it was some sorta ad campaign. So maybe it wasn't the cops and the cops wanted it removed?

Um yeah..... It was supposed to be a Deterrent to drunk drivers....... and it was done by the cops, the boards next to the cars had the 1-1-9 Emergency No. on them.... of course anyone who saw the wrecks can tell that nobody IN those cars could have even got seriously hurt, much less died....... so the effectiveness of the whole thing is called into question...... :(

Novel idea though :P