• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Alto vs Kwid, Or any cheapo to run below 3M.

Cameran

Question

5 answers to this question

No..they do not have the same engine. The Alto is a Suzuki (Maruti) and has a K or F series engine (?, no idea what the Indian version has). The Kwid is a Renault and has a Nissan-Renault built engine.

They are both pretty appalling when it comes to safety so don't drive it anything faster than a bicycle and stay away from anything that whizzes past you.

Even if you find a good example, the reality is that things like brake pads, shocks, etc..do not last that long. So although day to day running might be low, be prepared to replace consumables at far greater intervals than something like a common Japanese hatchback.

You might want to look at cars like a Starlet, March, Swift, etc..as well, although they might be older than the Alto or Kwid you can get. Also, finding a good one might take sometime. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 7:06 AM, iRage said:

No..they do not have the same engine. The Alto is a Suzuki (Maruti) and has a K or F series engine (?, no idea what the Indian version has). The Kwid is a Renault and has a Nissan-Renault built engine.

They are both pretty appalling when it comes to safety so don't drive it anything faster than a bicycle and stay away from anything that whizzes past you.

Even if you find a good example, the reality is that things like brake pads, shocks, etc..do not last that long. So although day to day running might be low, be prepared to replace consumables at far greater intervals than something like a common Japanese hatchback.

You might want to look at cars like a Starlet, March, Swift, etc..as well, although they might be older than the Alto or Kwid you can get. Also, finding a good one might take sometime. 

Thanks. Yh love to get Japanese. But without much knowledge I think it's too risky mcn. Do you know which's more reliable and cheaper to maintain? (I guess the Alto?)

On 2/1/2023 at 7:06 AM, iRage said:

+ Kwid = Plastic Sump

On 2/3/2023 at 6:43 PM, Cameran said:

Thanks. Yh love to get Japanese. But without much knowledge I think it's too risky mcn. Do you know which's more reliable and cheaper to maintain? (I guess the Alto?)

Of the two cars you mentioned - the Alto hands down. I've never driven a kwid but as a passenger I've found it to be of very poor build quality. 

But honestly - at least test drive an Alto (don't test drive the kwid don't waste your time) then test drive a 25 + year old starlet and you'll feel the difference. Initial cost aside a starlet will also be easier to maintain and reliable.  Another suggestion is a Perodua Kelisa - it's a pretty good car. 

On 1/31/2023 at 11:45 PM, Cameran said:

Also please feel free to suggest different model if you have any. Here are my requirements.

Daily driving around 12km.

Something very cheap to run and easy to flip after a few months or a year.

If you haven’t made your purchase yet overall I’d recommend the Indian Alto,from my experience they’re one of the cheapest cars you can own.

Question,do you plan having more than 1 extra passenger? Back seats are alright but not the greatest with the cramped legroom.

If you can afford it I’d recommend the Japanese version of the Alto.The shape of the car gives alot of interior room and the comfort level is quite decent for the price.It’s one of my daily drivers currently so I can recommend(2017 L Grade with 85K Kms). But again if you want to sell it within a short period of time I’d recommend the Indian alto,people these days are downgrading from bigger cars because they can’t bear the maintenance because of economic issues,so the Indian Alto has a good demand compared to other cars since it’s a newer car you could maintain with minimal costs so you won’t have much trouble selling it.

Edited by Boseth Minidu