• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

I bought a 2009 manufactured Demio in 2023

lsampath

Hi all,

A few months ago, I was looking for a good hatchback to buy as my first car. Here is a link to the thread where I got some help from fellow car experts.

Thanks to them and a few others who are closer to me, I bought a 2009 manufactured Demio last week. It was a girl-owned vehicle with only 88K mileage. This number was great compared to other cars (2008–2011) I have checked recently. Felt like a good bargain for the money, and I bought it after a quick inspection.

I have encountered a few issues with this car that require attention, and I intend to keep this discussion going by sharing details of its maintenance with you all.

Cheers...

IMG_20230507_112026__01.jpg

IMG_20230507_112006__01.jpg

IMG_20230507_112202.jpg

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lsampath said:

Hi all,

A few months ago, I was looking for a good hatchback to buy as my first car. Here is a link to the thread where I got some help from fellow car experts.

Thanks to them and a few others who are closer to me, I bought a 2009 manufactured Demio last week. It was a girl-owned vehicle with only 88K mileage. This number was great compared to other cars (2008–2011) I have checked recently. Felt like a good bargain for the money, and I bought it after a quick inspection.

I have encountered a few issues with this car that require attention, and I intend to keep this discussion going by sharing details of its maintenance with you all.

Cheers...

IMG_20230507_112026__01.jpg

IMG_20230507_112006__01.jpg

IMG_20230507_112202.jpg

Nice...what are the maintenance issues you need to look into ?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, iRage said:

Nice...what are the maintenance issues you need to look into ?

Thanks for the quick response. I can name a few,

1. There is a fracture behind a headlight. The glass is foggy, and there are water drops within the light. Today I talked with a mechanic, and he said I have to vaporize the water drops and seal the fracture. Couldn't do it today somehow.
  2. Some power mirror switches are not working. The whole switch board needs to be replaced as some buttons are not working properly.
  3. Something is wrong with the wheel alignments. I guess. When I release my hands while driving, the steering wheel tends to slightly turn left.
  4. Some noise comes from tires or suspensions when I drive through bumpy roads. My father said it is coming from rear wheel "shocks". Actually, I don't know what it is.
  5. The car struggles when it downshifts on hills. I guess it happens when it downshifts from 3-to-2 or 2-to-1. Planning to change gearbox oil before addressing this issue. 
  6. Need a full service.

On 5/8/2023 at 4:24 PM, GK_007 said:

Just curious on the headlight fracture. What did the previous owner claim on how that happened ? 

21 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

HI, 

Get the suspension/steering checked for damage

And alignment checcked.

Check the trans if it hs a dip stick.

TT

Was messaging the OP about this...apparently the owner had claimed that there was an accident repair (quite obvious in the pics....bumper fitment and panel gaps and bumper fitment are off.....slight change in color hue...). The working theory is that the headlight has a crack which might have caused during the accident.
The alignment issue can also be due to the accident. Told him about checking the suspension as well...I believe he is getting everything checked this weekend. Worst case control arms, etc...are damaged...best case scenario the wheel is just whacked out of alignment. Hope things are not too bad underneath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies, and sorry for the extended delay. I wanted to fix as many issues as possible before writing anything new.

I wanted to address the clanging sound coming from the wheels/suspension (when I going down a bumpy road), and the control arm issue pointed out by iRage (OC).

I checked with two local mechanics, and the control arm was not deformed, but everything else was worn out.

Initially, we replaced both link rods, the outer tie rods, and the ball joint of the passender side lower control arm. (I am not sure there are upper control arms in Demio model). We only replaced passenger side control arm ball joint, for two reasons. First, After inspecting the vehicle, the mechanic confirmed that the ball joint on the driver's side is not yet worn out. Second, Suspension systems on the passenger side often experience premature wear due to their exposure to road edges, which are more prone to damage compared to the middle of the road. (Something I learnt recently). 

Then we fine-tuned the wheel alignments. Steering wheel balancing was better, but I feld like something was still off. Resting positoin of the steering wheel was still a slightly tilted position.

After few test rides and few days, it became apparent that even the clanging sound was still there. And I had to go for a second round. This time a different garage.

In second round, we replaced driver side control arm ball joint, and both front shock absorber bushes. 

Yet, after few rounds of test rides, clanging sound is still there. (This is not a metallic clanging sound, more like two rocks hit each other). Assume that I have addressed all the commonly replaceable components in the front suspension system. Kindly inform me if I have overlooked any item.

Mean time I have done some experiments with the steering system. I am hearing a slick ticking sound coming from within the dashboard whenever I attempt to turn the wheel, while the car remains stationary. Furthermore, when I swiftly turn the wheel, I notice a faint clanging sound, which is similar to the sound I tried to address earlier. Perhaps the sound is indeed originating from the steering system. 

If you do not have any specific recommendations, my next course of action will be to inspect and repair the steering system.

Here are the prices for anyone who is interested:

Outer tie rod (pair) - LKR 8950

Lower control arm ball joint (each) - LKR 7000

Link Rods (pair) - LKR 7300

Front shock absorber bushes (pair) - LKR 5900  

That is all for now. Please let me know if you have any suggestions as I am new to this context.

Thank you.

1. When replacing things like ball joints, suspension bushes, always try to replace both sides (or depending on the part, all four). If one has worn out, then it is only a matter of time before the other one wears out and replacement as well. Manufacturers recommend this as well. It might seem unnecessary but in the long run it is easier for the user and makes sure that there is some equilibrium in the wear and tear (you can easily forget to replace the unreplaced component, or you might not even replace it until it is broken, etc...). Also...my experience has been that when you usually go to a garage that recommends you to focus on one side or just looks in to a small part of an issue, they are not that good and the issue does not get fixed. All they do is anything required to get rid of the symptoms. They want you out of the garage as soon as possible so they can get another car in. So, please go to a proper garage who is willing to spend time in fixing your car. This might seem expensive but in the long run it turns out to be the same as the bad garage or even cheaper.

2. Well....yes your next step should be to inspect the steering system, but I can't figure out what could make a clanging sound you are describing in the steering system. You also might want to look in to things like back-plates of the brakes (could be slightly bent at the edge or something and is rubbing against something ?), check caliper pins and any other retaining pieces. How are the axles in your car ? Could be the razors on their way out. Are the CV joints okay <before the tuck-tuck grind there sometimes can be a slight knocking noise,someone could have replaced the boots but that doesnt mean the joints themselves are not spoilt>?

Edited by iRage
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...