• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Upgrade Toyota aqua

Giggy

Well...what are you looking in terms of upgrade ?

Are you looking for more comfort ? more performance ? larger in size ? newer model (i.e. a more modern car with more features and better technology)

From a hatch back...a logical upgrade would be a mid-sized sedan or crossover.

The Sri Lankan market is strange. For example..where mid-sized sedans are concerned, some larger executive sedans that offer more comfort and equal fuel economy are actually the same prize or even lesser than a mid sized sedan of the same era.

For your budget...I am guessing you are restricted to a slightly new (2014/2015ish?) Vezel, Grace or Axio (mind you the Axio is not that much more luxurious or better in performance as it is based on the Vitz platform..so it will be just like the Aqua but slightly bigger. Personally I find the Aqua much better to drive than the Axio).

If you want something newer, then you will probably stick with another hatchback but move on to something like a Suzuki Swift ?

6 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...what are you looking in terms of upgrade ?

Are you looking for more comfort ? more performance ? larger in size ? newer model (i.e. a more modern car with more features and better technology)

From a hatch back...a logical upgrade would be a mid-sized sedan or crossover.

The Sri Lankan market is strange. For example..where mid-sized sedans are concerned, some larger executive sedans that offer more comfort and equal fuel economy are actually the same prize or even lesser than a mid sized sedan of the same era.

For your budget...I am guessing you are restricted to a slightly new (2014/2015ish?) Vezel, Grace or Axio (mind you the Axio is not that much more luxurious or better in performance as it is based on the Vitz platform..so it will be just like the Aqua but slightly bigger. Personally I find the Aqua much better to drive than the Axio).

If you want something newer, then you will probably stick with another hatchback but move on to something like a Suzuki Swift ?

Thank you. 

My looking for more confirm, driving pleasure and bit newer. I got few options like. Audi A1 2016/17, Vezel 14/15(thinking about issues), or BMW X1 2011, MG ZS 2019. 

But im confused what would be the best option. 

Edited by Giggy

Just now, Giggy said:

Thank you. 

My looking for more confirm, driving pleasure and bit newer. I got few options like. Audi A1, Vezel 14/15(thinking about issues), or BMW X1, MG ZS 2019. 

But im confused what would be the best option. 

* comfort

I am pretty certain decent A1s and X1s of the model years you are referring to (with a good and clear service history and all tech bulletins executed, etc...) are more towards the 8mil or above mark.

Sure you will find ones lower than that but I am not sure if you should go for them. First thing about car buying is don't go for a car just because it is cheap. Each model of car will have a price spectrum (low to high)...you don't want to go towards the low end of the prices. This applies to any car. Especially the Euros followed on by modern Japanese cars. You buy one of these Euros just because it is cheap, you are going to spend as much as the price of a whole other car trying to sort these things out.

To be honest I do not find the X1 you are looking at or the A1 that comfortable. They do tend to be bouncy. I am all for slightly firm sporty feeling suspension but these two (the gens you are looking at) do tend to be a bit unsettled in the rear. On the plus side, they do feel very engaging and well put together.

I have said this many times...there is nothing wrong with the Vezel. It is just that DCTs are not suited for the way most people drive in SL (on the brake bumper-to-bumper crawling in traffic). Any car with a DCT will start giving issues. If you think other cars don't have issues then you are in for a big surprise...even the much loved Toyotas are far from perfect.

As for the MG....some people love it..some people don't. Gets the job done, well equipped but it does feel cheap. Being relatively new, no one knows how these cars are going ot hold up in another 5 to 6 years time. So far things do seem to be okay though. I have no idea if there are any inherent design or build issues.

But yeah...the A1 and X1 are solid choices but you also need to accept the fact that it might not be as "cheap and easy" to maintain a X1 and A1 as an Aqua or even a Vezel would.

If you don't mind going a bit older...then you can also look at something like a 2010/2011 CRV, T31 X-Trail or even a Kia Sorento or Sportage. If you are willing to look beyond crossovers, then I am sure you will be able to find a Mazda 3/Axela or even a Lancer EX, but I feel these are hard to come by these days as those who have them don't want to get rid of them and when they do pop-up, they get sold quite quickly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iRage said:

I am pretty certain decent A1s and X1s of the model years you are referring to (with a good and clear service history and all tech bulletins executed, etc...) are more towards the 8mil or above mark.

Sure you will find ones lower than that but I am not sure if you should go for them. First thing about car buying is don't go for a car just because it is cheap. Each model of car will have a price spectrum (low to high)...you don't want to go towards the low end of the prices. This applies to any car. Especially the Euros followed on by modern Japanese cars. You buy one of these Euros just because it is cheap, you are going to spend as much as the price of a whole other car trying to sort these things out.

To be honest I do not find the X1 you are looking at or the A1 that comfortable. They do tend to be bouncy. I am all for slightly firm sporty feeling suspension but these two (the gens you are looking at) do tend to be a bit unsettled in the rear. On the plus side, they do feel very engaging and well put together.

I have said this many times...there is nothing wrong with the Vezel. It is just that DCTs are not suited for the way most people drive in SL (on the brake bumper-to-bumper crawling in traffic). Any car with a DCT will start giving issues. If you think other cars don't have issues then you are in for a big surprise...even the much loved Toyotas are far from perfect.

As for the MG....some people love it..some people don't. Gets the job done, well equipped but it does feel cheap. Being relatively new, no one knows how these cars are going ot hold up in another 5 to 6 years time. So far things do seem to be okay though. I have no idea if there are any inherent design or build issues.

But yeah...the A1 and X1 are solid choices but you also need to accept the fact that it might not be as "cheap and easy" to maintain a X1 and A1 as an Aqua or even a Vezel would.

If you don't mind going a bit older...then you can also look at something like a 2010/2011 CRV, T31 X-Trail or even a Kia Sorento or Sportage. If you are willing to look beyond crossovers, then I am sure you will be able to find a Mazda 3/Axela or even a Lancer EX, but I feel these are hard to come by these days as those who have them don't want to get rid of them and when they do pop-up, they get sold quite quickly. 

Nicely Explained. Thank you

10 hours ago, Giggy said:

What would be the best chose between Allion 2010/2011 or Vezel 2014? 

At the end of the day...it is totally up to you and which car makes you feel like you want to drive it and can live with it everyday, AND which car meets your requirements. There is the utility factor. One is a small crossover the other is a mid-sized sedan. You should buy the car that suits your needs.  Both have their (inherent) issues and a lot depends on the condition of the car.

So...first and foremost, the better car of the two is the one that is in better shape and is more honest (i.e. proper service history records, ACTUALLY well taken care of..not just a sale paint and polish job sort of car...etc..). So even if you want a Vezel, a good, honest Allion would be a better buy than a questionable Vezel. 

Beyond that...there are the little technical things.

The Allin 260 is actually quite an old design where a lot of the things got carried on from the 240 series from the early to mid 2000s. If not properly used and taken care of the car is prone to things like engine sludge build up and issues with the AC compressor is common. At the end of the day..the attraction about the car is that it is a no-nonsense A to B type of car that is based on old fashioned tech that is easier to take care of in a SL context (i.e. any maka baas can fix it..which is also the issue with the car. Most of them are cars owned by cheap owners and were taken care of by maka baases).
The Vezel on the other hand is much more modern. So you get better features/accessories, better safety equipment, etc...(personally I find the Vezel a nicer car to drive and the interior looks more refined than the Allion). On the downside, usage conditions in SL gives DCT issues so you need to find one that has been properly used and the DCT issues rectified properly. Another downside is that Hondas of this era were the fist cars to come out where the electronics are highly integrated. So even if you get a dead battery or the remote key battery dies off the car starts throwing 101 error messages).

So....as you can see..there is no proper answer as to which car is better. Go with the better condition car that meets your practical needs and does not make you bankrupt. Never buy a (common day-to-day) car as an investment. Also, get the car professionally inspected. Do not spend all the money you have on buying the car. Save some for pre-emptive maintenance work and repairs that you WILL and MUST do as soon as you buy it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2023 at 1:13 PM, Giggy said:

Audi A1 2016/17, Vezel 14/15(thinking about issues), or BMW X1 2011, MG ZS 2019. 

Audi A1 - is actually at the lowest rung of Audi's - not worth the price.

Vezel 14/15 - Yeah it's got the DCT but the problem is well known and the vezel has matured to the local market. 

Don't know about the X1.

MG - > subjective. No major horror stories, nothing to write home about either. 

Aren't suzuki's in your budget range - Vitara/Sx4 S Cross - both 1.0 Turbo charged crossovers better choice  than the MG

On 5/23/2023 at 1:14 PM, Giggy said:

confirm, driving pleasure and bit newer

16 hours ago, Giggy said:

Allion 2010/2011 or Vezel 2014

It depends on your need - the vezel is newer has the 'SUV' vibe (despite it being a Honda Fit on steroids) and a more techy car. Allion - old school 2000's runner, Regular, reliable A-B car, IF possible try to get a 1.8 L Allion (A18). 

Edited by matroska
removed a suggestion - out of OP's budget
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Giggy said:

What would be the best chose between Allion 2010/2011 or Vezel 2014? 

So you've narrowed the list to these 2 cars?

You won't feel the Allion as an upgrade even though it has more space, but the technology and options are not even close to an aqua.

Better off with a Vezel as it has a high ride position and lot of new tech, but make sure you have some extra cash if DCT issue pops up

*Also you mentioned you concern driving pleasure ,so Vezel it is.

Edited by sathyajithj99
  • Thanks 1