• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Insurance Claim

Lucian

Question

Guys I need a bit of advice.

I was ramped from the behind by a bike. The rider accepted fault, an entry was made at the police. The police requested the rider to appear in courts tomorrow.

The bike registered to Senok Trading is insured under Am#na Tak#ful. I contacted Amana asking how I claim for damages, show vehicle for inspection and etc I was shoked at their reply.

I was told to file a letter of demand in the destrict court. Further was told this is standard insurance practice. How ever wehn I contacted my insurer (SL I*******) I was told I need not go through all that hassle.

Is Am#na Tak#ful dodging payment?

Can someone please explain the correct procedure. I hate to see my car damaged.

To be very honest (it comes from my heart) if I knew I need to go through all this hassle I would have ensured the rider also suffers a just like me or even more for putting me through pain and trouble. I strongly believe the fines should be increased many folds like other countries then drivers will be more careful.

man I'm mad with this

12 answers to this question

Hi Lucian,

First of All remember that when you have a Insurance Claim most insurance companies are Basicaly SCUMBAGS. So you also need to act like a Underworld Figure when it comes to a Insurance Claim.

Ok. here goes.

About your Problem Please contact the following Agency and you can get Free Recomendation on what you have to do. Once you know the subject it will easy for your Handle your Problem.

http://www.ibsl.gov.lk/

Hi Lucian,

I'm very sorry to hear that your loving car has got damaged. And what you heard from insurance company #1 is correct and also from insurance company #2. Let me elaborate more on this. Since the biker rammed into ya car ultimately he's responsible for the damaged. ok there are 2 insurances.

1. bikers insurance

2. your cars insurance.

assuming that you don't want to make a claim out of your insurance and remain your no claim bonus simply because thats not your fault so you may don't want to claim from your insurance as i believe from insurance company #2. in that case you'll have to claim from bikers insurance. in insurances there are several coverages. starting minimum of 3rd party which means all other properties, people excluding the covered vehicle and its passengers. If a damage occurred to the 3rd party by any vehicle (having either full or 3rd party insurance) then it has to be proven by a court order saying yes this insurance holder is responsible for that damage happened to the respective 3rd party. Now in your case, you're the 3rd party to bikers insurance. so biker has to be sentenced guilt against a court case and then only respective insurance company considering the claim for the damaged 3rd party. this is the case if you're trying to get the claim from 3rd party. its a big hassle and some tedious process which is a very weak point in SL law. there's only one insurance company has a solution if both vehicles insured to that company they makes an alternative process and get the claim from guilt persons insurance.

case no 2 when you inquired from insurance company #2 as i believe your insurance bearer what they told was to make the claim out of your insurance which you may even no need of a police entry. actually thats what most of the ppl r doin just to avoid the big hassle involved with 3rd party claim and also now advantageous to some bikers and careless tryshaw guys. if they get to know that you have full insurance they knock you 'n further makes comments ayyo sir you can claim from your insurance 'n fly off. thats a very bad practice indeed.

hope this cleared you out.

Hi Lucian,

I'm very sorry to hear that your loving car has got damaged. And what you heard from insurance company #1 is correct and also from insurance company #2. Let me elaborate more on this. Since the biker rammed into ya car ultimately he's responsible for the damaged. ok there are 2 insurances.

1. bikers insurance

2. your cars insurance.

assuming that you don't want to make a claim out of your insurance and remain your no claim bonus simply because thats not your fault so you may don't want to claim from your insurance as i believe from insurance company #2. in that case you'll have to claim from bikers insurance. in insurances there are several coverages. starting minimum of 3rd party which means all other properties, people excluding the covered vehicle and its passengers. If a damage occurred to the 3rd party by any vehicle (having either full or 3rd party insurance) then it has to be proven by a court order saying yes this insurance holder is responsible for that damage happened to the respective 3rd party. Now in your case, you're the 3rd party to bikers insurance. so biker has to be sentenced guilt against a court case and then only respective insurance company considering the claim for the damaged 3rd party. this is the case if you're trying to get the claim from 3rd party. its a big hassle and some tedious process which is a very weak point in SL law. there's only one insurance company has a solution if both vehicles insured to that company they makes an alternative process and get the claim from guilt persons insurance.

case no 2 when you inquired from insurance company #2 as i believe your insurance bearer what they told was to make the claim out of your insurance which you may even no need of a police entry. actually thats what most of the ppl r doin just to avoid the big hassle involved with 3rd party claim and also now advantageous to some bikers and careless tryshaw guys. if they get to know that you have full insurance they knock you 'n further makes comments ayyo sir you can claim from your insurance 'n fly off. thats a very bad practice indeed.

hope this cleared you out.

Very good info bro.

Now Lucian what you need to do its Get the No Claim Bonus Figure of your Next Year and Do this Calculation.

No Claim Bonus for Next Year = Amount of Money Spent for the Lawyer + Your Fuel Cost on Traveling to Courts + Your Lost Productive Time .

3000 = 1000 + 500 + 500

3000 = 2000 ( Then its worth to claim from your Insurance )

If you do not see a big difference between those aspects, its better to claim from your Insurance as to save all the Trouble and Hassle You Go Through.

Heshan, hope i am correct. If not please correct me :)

Edited by Velocity

Very good info bro.

Now Lucian what you need to do its Get the No Claim Bonus Figure of your Next Year and Do this Calculation.

No Claim Bonus for Next Year = Amount of Money Spent for the Lawyer + Your Fuel Cost on Traveling to Courts + Your Lost Productive Time .

3000 = 1000 + 500 + 500

If you do not see a big difference between those aspects, its better to claim from your Insurance as to save all the Trouble and Hassle You Go Through.

Thanks Harshan & Shehan for the tips and quick resp. There goes my no claim boo-hoo. I got a quote on the damage 32k. Should I drag this thread ..... mmmm ..... I really love my car and am so careful. I'm a quiet guy who normally understands ppl. but now I have this craving urge to drive a heavy vehicle into him.

Anyway once a gain thanks guys.

Very good info bro.

3000 = 1000 + 500 + 500

yup bro.. thats correct indeed.. you made it with an illustration of figures.. but can ya remember my last comment. though its easy and eliminates big hassles, its a bad practice :) . this happened one of my friends. one trishaw guy knocked him from the back 'n when my friend struggles to get him to the police he simply made a comment saying "claim it from your full insurance" 'n flew off..

Incidentally with the values of motor vehicles thesedays, there is an argument to do a repair out of your own pocket if you have a very long no claims bonus which significantly reduces premium.

I mean my dad has quite a cheap car, but he still pays about 13-14K on insuarance every year, so for a newer car it might be much more than that I guess.

Has anybody tried the long winded process and got a guilty verdict ? how long does it usually take ? I mean would it involve a few court hearings (I asume in a complex case where the other party contests the case it would), or can it be finished off in one.

And also I wonder if a lawyer will appear on your behalf for 1000 thesedays, though i dont know the actual rates (Yes Dims I know you were using a random value to illustrate the point, I am merely saying those dudes cost a bit too thesedays)

The Don

And also I wonder if a lawyer will appear on your behalf for 1000 thesedays, though i dont know the actual rates (Yes Dims I know you were using a random value to illustrate the point, I am merely saying those dudes cost a bit too thesedays)

The Don

Would it matter? I thought the legal and court fees are paid by the loosing party.

Incidentally with the values of motor vehicles thesedays, there is an argument to do a repair out of your own pocket if you have a very long no claims bonus which significantly reduces premium.

I mean my dad has quite a cheap car, but he still pays about 13-14K on insuarance every year, so for a newer car it might be much more than that I guess.

Has anybody tried the long winded process and got a guilty verdict ? how long does it usually take ? I mean would it involve a few court hearings (I asume in a complex case where the other party contests the case it would), or can it be finished off in one.

The Don

yup don.. my uncle did so.. and it doesn't take much longer to finish off the first court case which make the guilty verdict against the culprit. real tedious process starts afterwards. and my uncle still has a huge size file with him and it has been nearly year or more than a year . still he couldn't get it done. but i don't know thats the case with everyone.. pls enlighten me if there's anyone who got a 3rd party insurance claim quickly 'n easily..

Thanks Harshan & Shehan for the tips and quick resp. There goes my no claim boo-hoo. I got a quote on the damage 32k. Should I drag this thread ..... mmmm ..... I really love my car and am so careful. I'm a quiet guy who normally understands ppl. but now I have this craving urge to drive a heavy vehicle into him.

Anyway once a gain thanks guys.

:D Boy am I glad to see the last bit U typed........ I was beginning to wonder if I was going insane as every 1 kept telling me that I was....

Simply said...... I SERUIOUSLY WANT TO RAM 3 WHEELERS AND BIKERS WHO ARE RECKLESS LIKE THAT DUM A#S

Extremely sorry to hear what happened to your car.... naturally you are a bloke who loves your car... and I've had a few incidents like that myself.....

harshansenadhir & Velocity dam good advice... really appreciate it.....

Like you said both Bus drivers and 3 wheelers know that cars are fully insured so they just don't give a dam... and we - don't bother as we don't want to go through the hassle.....

end of the day we are the 1's who have sustained most of the damage... whilst the other Bas#ted just walks away... I even wanted to go to the extent of smashing something of the other guys vehicle so that both of us have equal damage – call me insane….. but that’s what I really wanna do… :)

All the best on the repairs and stuff …..

The Don

LOL, yeah i dont think you can get lawyers for 1000 these days.

If a three wheel guy knocks you and tries to be smart, always tell them that you want to go to the cops and put a court case. Because for a court case, Brakes of the Vehicales involved in accident will be checked.

Now their are very few comisioners to this and it might take two or three days and the vehicale has to be kept in police. This scares the three wheels guys a lot because they have to keep the vehicale in the police until they check the brakes which means they will loose lots of hires( Income). So if they try to be smart, best way to keep them shut their mouth is to tell them that you want to go to the cop shed.

LOL, yeah i dont think you can get lawyers for 1000 these days.

If a three wheel guy knocks you and tries to be smart, always tell them that you want to go to the cops and put a court case. Because for a court case, Brakes of the Vehicales involved in accident will be checked.

Now their are very few comisioners to this and it might take two or three days and the vehicale has to be kept in police. This scares the three wheels guys a lot because they have to keep the vehicale in the police until they check the brakes which means they will loose lots of hires( Income). So if they try to be smart, best way to keep them shut their mouth is to tell them that you want to go to the cop shed.

Yeps, and I guess should never take somebodys word for collecting payment later, the standard "passe dennam mahattaya" is a big no no I think especialy in a country with such a large number of vehicles on open papers.

Also the guilty party pays the court costs, problem is the court decides what the costs are, and it doesnt always meet the cost, plus like Dims said you have to consider the amount of time wasted as well, and plus sometimes the cops impound the vehicles until the case it settled, thus need to consider further damage to the vehicles when inpounded in the cop shed.

The good news is if you took it to the cops and if it was a Bus or a 3 wheeler or even a vehicle belonging to a company then most likely the offender might cough up the money, rather than loose income, go through the above hassle or face the heat at work.

What actually should happen is the insuarance company should pay up on your own policy and then sue the offending parties insuarance company to cover their costs, as it happens in certain other countries.

The Don