• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fitting A Sports Air Filter/ Air Intake ??????

mazdaspeed

Question

Hi Guys,

I’ve seen and heard a lot about the new type of air filters ( Kone type – eg. K & N ) and how they help the performances of the car and burn fuel better… I’m not in to racing or any kind of stuff like that but thought I would look at fitting 1 before I really get too old for those kind of things.

I got a Mazda 323, BJ5P model with a 1.6 Manual transmission. I saw some filters K&N and another brand @ M.cade. My car is looked after by a guy based in Papiliyana whos has worked for the local agent ( Mazda) and even in the middle east- He’s quite good with Mazda & Ford stuff…. So I put my idea across to him.

He said that there had been several who had done this and they all got it removed as the airflow sensor got busted…. What he says is that a mesh filter will not stop the dust which the conventional filter does and the computer or whatever will not be able to adjust the air to fuel ratio etc… thus damaging the sensor which I was told is quite expensive. <_<

IS this the case in all filters or due to using cheap quality filter…. ? Is this the same with all cars with this kind of sensors …? Since this guy is quite knowledgeable too on the Mazda’s I would like to get a additional opinion….

Much appreciate it if you guys can shed some light….

Thx

Mazdaspeed ( should have gone as zoom zoom instead ) :lol:

5 answers to this question

You need to go with original K&N/Apexi filters.. I've seen lots of gray market/fake stuff around the market. Also the filter needs to be fabric not steel mesh like what's available at the place you noted.

Also even the original needs to be cleaned the proper way( theres a cleaner kit from K&N) If this kit is not used the filter will get screwed.

Go for it man. I love the intake in mine.

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot Pila & Hola

Hola.... looking nice man ...... <_<

looks nice.... So I suppose I can go ahead with it... Know of any Mazda guys who have done the same..

Edited by mazdaspeed

Hola, could u pls

a. upload smaller res images (quite a few image editing tools can handle this)

b. use the thumbnails feature in imageshak

or

c. take ur pictures in a smaller res. U won't be loosing any ... quality. just coz the cam can handle high res is no reason to use full res all the time. If u don't know how to do this, RTFM.

PS. if u don't know what RTFM means, google it.

Yo mazdaspeed.. therez a thread about Cone filters in the forum man.. i think the Search would give you the desired results.. anyways.. Go for it bro! It ll give you a pleasant driving experience at quite a economical cost with a bit of power.. Go for the motorcade stuff though buddy...

Zz