• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gear change at 3000rpm

Isuru Sudusinghe

Question

Recently i bought a corolla 141 2008 with a mileage of 112 000km and i changed transmission oil , break oil and did the mileage service from company. I noticed that i can feel changing gears to 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 . But 3 to 4 i have to speed it like for 80kmph and 3000rpm. I just want to know is it normal or should i be worried about it

Edited by Isuru Sudusinghe

8 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Isuru Sudusinghe said:

Recently i bought a corolla 141 2008 with a mileage of 112 000km and i changed transmission oil , break oil and did the mileage service from company. I noticed that i can feel changing gears to 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 . But 3 to 4 i have to speed it like for 80kmph and 3000rpm. I just want to know is it normal or should i be worried about it

at what point does it change from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 ? What sort of speed are you doing when you reach the peak of 3rd gear ? During the acceleration from 3 to 4 does it feel like the engine is reving but the car doesn't actually move ? I beleive your car should have a U3xx series AT transmission ? Is there an OD switch you have accidentally switched on or off ? 

Depending on the gear ratios and the actual movement of the car 3 to 4 at about 2500-3000 rpm might be normal.

1-2 in 20kmph and 2-3 i havent notice exactly. should be somewhere around 40 - 50. 80kmph is the peak speed of 3rd gear. there is no any incident such as that it revs but not moving. it moves fine through out the transmission period and i haven't notice any OD switch. Also i still don't know exactly what type of a transmission this car has, some say its CVT and some say its 4 speed automatic or something. 

6 hours ago, Isuru Sudusinghe said:

Also i still don't know exactly what type of a transmission this car has, some say its CVT and some say its 4 speed automatic

It came with both...so depending on the exact model it can be either. Look at the ID plate. It should say what the transmission is it will say TRANS/AXLE and have <letter+number code>/<letter_number code>. What does it say?

Some people will say that depending on whether the gear has D,2,L or D, S, etc...that it will be either CVT or AT. THe thing is manufacturers mixed them up as well. so...

On 8/8/2023 at 10:17 AM, iRage said:

It came with both...so depending on the exact model it can be either. Look at the ID plate. It should say what the transmission is it will say TRANS/AXLE and have <letter+number code>/<letter_number code>. What does it say?

Some people will say that depending on whether the gear has D,2,L or D, S, etc...that it will be either CVT or AT. THe thing is manufacturers mixed them up as well. so...

many thanks for the support so far iRage. 

i checked the passenger side door and found the tag. It says TRANS/AXLE- U341E -03A . but i have no idea about what it is 

On 8/8/2023 at 10:17 AM, iRage said:

It came with both

i was under the impression that both the Corolla 141 (and the Yaris ) that were imported through the agents to Sri Lanka came with the old school 4 speed auto box. Was it the later models that got the CVT?

On 8/11/2023 at 6:29 PM, matroska said:

i was under the impression that both the Corolla 141 (and the Yaris ) that were imported through the agents to Sri Lanka came with the old school 4 speed auto box. Was it the later models that got the CVT?

Strange. My replies over the weekend seem to have not gotten posted.

Yes...but there were some changes later on depending on the market. The first batches which were from Japan and Thailand had the U series AT. Then things were shuffled were some markets got a CVT (mostly for the larger capacity engines, Altis in some markets, like the 240 Premio/Allion). So Iwas wondering if maybe some of those made it over.

• Like 1