• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Vitz Vs Audi A1

KingSasanka

Question

I'm thinking of disposing of my hybrid (Toyota Aqua YoM 2012) and upgrading to a non-hybrid vehicle.

Currently, my choices are a Toyota Vitz or an Audi A1 (not a sports model).

Toyota has a reputation here that they can be sold easily, unlike European-made vehicles.

European-made vehicles have better safety features but have a lower resale value.

How difficult is it to maintain an Audi A1, as far as maintenance costs are concerned?

Can someone with knowledge and experience please enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.

7 answers to this question

The Vitz model in SL are 1L base models. Going from an Aqua to one of these will be a downgrade and you will regret your decision from the day you step in to one. It lacks power, the interior is plasticy, the ride is not as good as the Aqua (even the handling simply is not). The only way you will be UPGRADING to a Vitz from an Aqua is if you go for 1.3 or 1.5L high spec variant. These are very very rare in SL.

So the only upgrade in your case is the Audi. Granted it won't be as simple as the Vitz to maintain as you will have to take it to mechanics and service centers that know what they are doing. However, the build quality, and the driving feel is a lot better. The ride...is a bit firm so if you like soft floaty rides you might not like it. 

Do you want to just stick with hatchbacks?

• Like 1

As Irage mentioned the aqua is a level above the Vitz - it will not be an upgrade at all - you will just be getting a newer car that's it.

Audi - While a more refined car than the vitz I always felt the A1 never really justifies it's relatively high price tag. For a brief in 2018 i considered one but the reason I gave up was that it offered little for a hefty price. But yes it will be an upgrade over the aqua. 

If you want to stick with hatches, and have a bit of an upgrade + if you like something a little sporty/fun why not a 2017+ Suzuki Swift RS? It's cheaper than an A1 and probably a vitz(depending on the yom) - packs a punch and overall a very nice zippy little package. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iRage said:

The Vitz model in SL are 1L base models. Going from an Aqua to one of these will be a downgrade and you will regret your decision from the day you step in to one. It lacks power, the interior is plasticy, the ride is not as good as the Aqua (even the handling simply is not). The only way you will be UPGRADING to a Vitz from an Aqua is if you go for 1.3 or 1.5L high spec variant. These are very very rare in SL.

So the only upgrade in your case is the Audi. Granted it won't be as simple as the Vitz to maintain as you will have to take it to mechanics and service centers that know what they are doing. However, the build quality, and the driving feel is a lot better. The ride...is a bit firm so if you like soft floaty rides you might not like it. 

Do you want to just stick with hatchbacks?

Thanks. Not necessarily a hatchback but a non hybrid version vehicle. 

Hmmm.....what is a small vehicle? Something like a Lancer EX is also small and not that much larger than a Vitz or an Audi A1. The Euros will definitely be the more premium and refined options. I can't believe I am saying this but even a Raize will be a bit better than the 1L Vitzes. or even a Juke/Qashqai if you want to go with some Japanese options. Also, there is the Mazda2 sedan and hatchback (and Demio from Japan). Again, much better than the 1L Vitz.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 8:29 AM, iRage said:

Hmmm.....what is a small vehicle? Something like a Lancer EX is also small and not that much larger than a Vitz or an Audi A1. The Euros will definitely be the more premium and refined options. I can't believe I am saying this but even a Raize will be a bit better than the 1L Vitzes. or even a Juke/Qashqai if you want to go with some Japanese options. Also, there is the Mazda2 sedan and hatchback (and Demio from Japan). Again, much better than the 1L Vitz.

There are some cars with different trim options that are better than the basic F Grade Vitz, 

such as F LED, Amie, Jewela and some with Mix and matched options with nice seats, Color MID and all.

Perhaps that may also be an option. 

14 hours ago, tiv said:

such as F LED, Amie, Jewela and some with Mix and matched options with nice seats, Color MID and all.

Well...those have a bit more trinkets installed and targeted at younger people looking for a cheap drive.  With the 1L engine it still makes no difference. The combination is commonly seen being used by fresh-out-of-school types as a cheap run around (i.e. alternative to cheap daily kei cars).

Even then...these trim levels are still not as "nice" as the Aqua. COme to think about it....the OP might be better looking at a higher spec Aqua than a Vitz.

Edited by iRage