• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Crossover/ SUV Vehicle to buy below 10 Million LKR?

RMDAB

Dear Experts,

I'm planning to upgrade my vehicle. 

I prefer a Crossover/ SUV mainly due to the ground clearance and better driving feel. 

The manufacturing year shall be 2010 or after and hassle-free maintenance/usage is mandatory since the vehicle will be used for daily travel. Also, the 05 people shall comfortably sit and travel. 

I've listed a few vehicle models below and kindly support me with your expert ideas to select the best one. 

1. Honda Vezel (after 2015 manufactured)

2. Honda CRV ( 2010-2013 Models)

3. KIA Sportage (after 2010 manufactured)

4. Hyundai Tucson (after 2010 manufactured)

5. Rexton (after 2015 manufactured)

6. Mazda CX-5

7. Toyota Rav4 (after 2010 manufactured)

8. Toyota Rush (after 2010 manufactured)

9. Mitsubishi Outlander (2013)

10. Montero Sport (2010)

11. BMW X1 (2010/11)

2 hours ago, RMDAB said:

better driving feel.

Better driving feel than what ? Crossovers/SUVs feel like elephants to drive compared to a nice sedan or hatchback (note I said NICE).

2 hours ago, RMDAB said:

after and hassle-free maintenance/usage is mandatory since the vehicle will be used for daily travel

This has more to do with how the previous owners maintained the vehicle rather than the model or the YoM itself. I have seen 25 year old cars that look and perform like a brand-new vehicle and 3 year old cars that look like it went to the moon came back and then was the hotel room for a pair of tigers on their honeymoon.

1. Honda Vezel (after 2015 manufactured) :

If you are looking at the Hybrid then you need to look out for possible clutch pack issues. Plus this era of Hondas have way too many things integrated that even if the key fob battery dies the whole things lights up like a Thorana.

So the 4th gen ? Depending on the market variant you get this can probably the second most refined vehicle on your list. Pretty nice drive but the 2L variants are a bit underpowered.

No idea..never had any of the above..seems to get the job done and the diesels move like a bat out of hell. But still I feel these cars age a lot more (in terms of design and quality/finish) than its Japanese and European competition (park it next to a Japanese or Euro vehicle of the same age the Korean one 9 times out of 10 look a bit tatty and older).

Again..never had one...but those I know who had one seems to love them as it is no frills..has the basic creature comforts and gets the job done.

6. Mazda CX-5

The nicest to drive Japanese vehicle in your entire list. Not a big fan of the interior depending on which version you go for. For some reason, I don't like the fact that it tries to look up-market when it isn't. But yeah..nicest Japanese crossover on your list to drive..especially if it is AWD. The 2WD understeers a bit too much and the traction control starts acting wierd.

Okay so A30 series. Best all rounder ?. It is not really good at doing one particular thing but does everything marginally okay. 2AZ engine has a bit of a reputation for an oil burning issue but most that came from Japan have it rectified and if properly maintained it doesn't effect you so much. Also, the rear diff (the electro magnetic coupler) is known to seap oil out if not properly maintained. But the thing will keep going on and on even with these issues. Sadly most are owned by ricers...so finding a good one might be hard and when you do it might be pricey.

Smallest and least refined on your list. It feels like a small hatchback on stilts. Unless you want a budget car do not buy this. You are better off buying a Fit or something and enjoy the driving.

PHEV ? If so..they are Japanese market variants. Feels plush and a pretty nice drive. AWD is okay but not the best. You need to look out for PHEV battery issues, etc...before buying one. If you are looking at a petrol variant...in which case most were imported through the agents. So it lacks a bit of creature comforts but you probably stand a better chance of finding a good vehicle that has been maintained by the dealer from day 1.

10. Montero Sport (2010)

The only proper SUV/4x4 on your list. So this is the most offroad capable. Assuming you are looking at a diesel, it really moves. The body feels nice and sturdy. Interior plastics feel flimsy. Being based on a pickup chassis it is not the most comfortable on the road. Also...suspension geometry and weight distribution can lead to easy topping especially if the proper safety equipment (stability and traction control) is not there.

11. BMW X1 (2010/11)

Nicest, most refined and most engaging to drive. However does not have the ground clearance and stuff compared to the rest. It is more like a small station wagon with a bit of ground clearance. Do not buy a Euro car just because it is cheap or some cars on the market fit your budget. Always go for one which has been well taken care of. If not it will be a nightmare. Once you buy it...you too will have to take care of it diligently (e.g. if something feels off or a warning comes up or when it is time for preemptive maintenance you do it right on time...no waiting till the end of the year of the year like in a Premio or take it to Sirisena's garage down the road for fix-ups).

Edited by iRage
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thankyou for explanations. Its realy informative. 

I've checked few Vezels and done a deep inspection by a field technecian (grease Monkey). Facts that he has given me on inspection report makes serious doubts of buying a Honda Vezel.

Also one of my office mate has a hyundai Santafe 2010 2.4l petrol 4WD to be sold. (110K odd Km on ODO and interior was good too as its use as secondary vehicle$

And have drown in for 100+ Km. Handling & pickup was good and it was a comfortable ride too.

Any thougt in this as I'm thinking of buying this

On 10/28/2023 at 2:58 PM, RMDAB said:

've checked few Vezels and done a deep inspection by a field technecian (grease Monkey). Facts that he has given me on inspection report makes serious doubts of buying a Honda Vezel.

There is nothing wrong with the Vezel. In fact it is a much more refined car than the 2010 Santa Fe. he issue is how people have taken care of them and the driving habits they have due to the local traffic conditions. Most of the Vezel owners brought it because of the Hybrid factor thinking it will be cheap to run, the local "SUV" factor so looks flashy. Being a Honda, thinking of the old Civics and Accords, sporty and cheap on maintenance. So they didn't want to spend any money on maintenance. Apart from the DCT clutch pack wearing out (again because of local driving habits...any DCT does not like crawling on the brakes driving in traffic) it is the annoyance of the electrical systems. Everything is integrated and the whole car goes in to a frenzy and lights up like a thorana even if the key fob battery is dead.

As for the 2010 SantaFe. No frills A to B car just like the Vezel. It just doesn't have the local wow glam factor because it is Korean. Haven't used one and only been a passenger in one. Interior feels a bit cheap and plasticy. The criticism I have of the car and Hyundai/Kia cars of the period in general is that the build quality (mainly materials used) makes the car look very shabby and dated after a few years of use (9/10 times if you take a Korean, Japanese and European car of the same period the Korean one would look 20 years older than the other two). It takes a lot of pampering and good care to keep Hyundais of the period looking good and non ratty.  Personally I feel the Korean cars from the middle part of the decade (and onwards) were a lot better. This is when the newer models were released (I beleive Santa Fe would be 2012/2013 onwards).

• Like 1

We recently bought a 2014 honda vezel for a good price.It is  a good car but there can be some issues like DCT. Although the DCT can easily repair & there are many workshops that can repair low cost near one lack. The DCT issue will come nearly 100k KM So that repair is negligible compared to its great fuel economy among others.Other than that the rear seat passengers ride little bit bad. It has great pickup.Overall it is a good family vehicle.Ah....there is a possibility to fail AC compressor so plz make sure to check that before buying if it fails you should defenitely loss another 160,000 or higher.

IF you looking for a seven seater suv consider buying kia sorento 2.2 diesel 1-12 option vehicle .It is defenetely better than other koren suvs like tucson or rexton.Actually dont buy rexton or tucson these vehicles have ton of issues even our mechanics cant fix.Also their maintanance cost is high.

Montero sport & outlander are good vehicles.When buying outlander check its battery because rthese days phev battery need to replace & it will cost more.Montero sport is the only proper offroader when buying consider its milage and engine.These enine has commonrail technology these new systems can fail due to high milage.

Do not buy uncommon vehicles in SL cuz it is hard to find spare parts & that will cost a lot.

If i 'm you i will go for  sorento  ,vezel ,outlander or a montero sport  .

4 hours ago, Minidu Nansika said:

Montero sport

Actually Montero/Pajero sport has pretty bad suspension which makes it quite easy to roll-over as well if one is not attentive (okay all SUVs are prone to roll-over but this more than others).  On a straight line its nice and comfy and offroad even absorbs the rough terrain quite well...but hard braking, directional changes, etc made the rear just simply airbone. Partly the issue was that the safety aides' (if it had them as some markets came without it) response was a bit too late. Later models had some of these issues fixed. So if going for a M/P Sport go for the highest spec and latest model possible. OR go for the oldest 1st gen ones..those were based on the JDM Challenger and quite nice (almost ahead of its time when it was released)

On 10/4/2023 at 1:59 AM, iRage said:

Better driving feel than what ? Crossovers/SUVs feel like elephants to drive compared to a nice sedan or hatchback (note I said NICE).

This has more to do with how the previous owners maintained the vehicle rather than the model or the YoM itself. I have seen 25 year old cars that look and perform like a brand-new vehicle and 3 year old cars that look like it went to the moon came back and then was the hotel room for a pair of tigers on their honeymoon.

1. Honda Vezel (after 2015 manufactured) :

If you are looking at the Hybrid then you need to look out for possible clutch pack issues. Plus this era of Hondas have way too many things integrated that even if the key fob battery dies the whole things lights up like a Thorana.

So the 4th gen ? Depending on the market variant you get this can probably the second most refined vehicle on your list. Pretty nice drive but the 2L variants are a bit underpowered.

No idea..never had any of the above..seems to get the job done and the diesels move like a bat out of hell. But still I feel these cars age a lot more (in terms of design and quality/finish) than its Japanese and European competition (park it next to a Japanese or Euro vehicle of the same age the Korean one 9 times out of 10 look a bit tatty and older).

Again..never had one...but those I know who had one seems to love them as it is no frills..has the basic creature comforts and gets the job done.

6. Mazda CX-5

The nicest to drive Japanese vehicle in your entire list. Not a big fan of the interior depending on which version you go for. For some reason, I don't like the fact that it tries to look up-market when it isn't. But yeah..nicest Japanese crossover on your list to drive..especially if it is AWD. The 2WD understeers a bit too much and the traction control starts acting wierd.

Okay so A30 series. Best all rounder ?. It is not really good at doing one particular thing but does everything marginally okay. 2AZ engine has a bit of a reputation for an oil burning issue but most that came from Japan have it rectified and if properly maintained it doesn't effect you so much. Also, the rear diff (the electro magnetic coupler) is known to seap oil out if not properly maintained. But the thing will keep going on and on even with these issues. Sadly most are owned by ricers...so finding a good one might be hard and when you do it might be pricey.

Smallest and least refined on your list. It feels like a small hatchback on stilts. Unless you want a budget car do not buy this. You are better off buying a Fit or something and enjoy the driving.

PHEV ? If so..they are Japanese market variants. Feels plush and a pretty nice drive. AWD is okay but not the best. You need to look out for PHEV battery issues, etc...before buying one. If you are looking at a petrol variant...in which case most were imported through the agents. So it lacks a bit of creature comforts but you probably stand a better chance of finding a good vehicle that has been maintained by the dealer from day 1.

10. Montero Sport (2010)

The only proper SUV/4x4 on your list. So this is the most offroad capable. Assuming you are looking at a diesel, it really moves. The body feels nice and sturdy. Interior plastics feel flimsy. Being based on a pickup chassis it is not the most comfortable on the road. Also...suspension geometry and weight distribution can lead to easy topping especially if the proper safety equipment (stability and traction control) is not there.

11. BMW X1 (2010/11)

Nicest, most refined and most engaging to drive. However does not have the ground clearance and stuff compared to the rest. It is more like a small station wagon with a bit of ground clearance. Do not buy a Euro car just because it is cheap or some cars on the market fit your budget. Always go for one which has been well taken care of. If not it will be a nightmare. Once you buy it...you too will have to take care of it diligently (e.g. if something feels off or a warning comes up or when it is time for preemptive maintenance you do it right on time...no waiting till the end of the year of the year like in a Premio or take it to Sirisena's garage down the road for fix-ups).

6 hours ago, Minidu Nansika said:

We recently bought a 2014 honda vezel for a good price.It is  a good car but there can be some issues like DCT. Although the DCT can easily repair & there are many workshops that can repair low cost near one lack. The DCT issue will come nearly 100k KM So that repair is negligible compared to its great fuel economy among others.Other than that the rear seat passengers ride little bit bad. It has great pickup.Overall it is a good family vehicle.Ah....there is a possibility to fail AC compressor so plz make sure to check that before buying if it fails you should defenitely loss another 160,000 or higher.

IF you looking for a seven seater suv consider buying kia sorento 2.2 diesel 1-12 option vehicle .It is defenetely better than other koren suvs like tucson or rexton.Actually dont buy rexton or tucson these vehicles have ton of issues even our mechanics cant fix.Also their maintanance cost is high.

Montero sport & outlander are good vehicles.When buying outlander check its battery because rthese days phev battery need to replace & it will cost more.Montero sport is the only proper offroader when buying consider its milage and engine.These enine has commonrail technology these new systems can fail due to high milage.

Do not buy uncommon vehicles in SL cuz it is hard to find spare parts & that will cost a lot.

I've gone for mentioned Santafe, which the particular vehicle is known for couple of years as it was previously own by office colleague. Also got it for reasonable offer with brand new consumables.

I know there are pros & cons but we'll use it for couple of years (max) and see.

Thanks for advises 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2023 at 11:36 PM, Minidu Nansika said:

I'm planning to buy something in the similar range and My options are Sorento 2012, Montero Sport and Outlander Phev 2013/2014 (Old face). I love the way Outlander looks would like to know if Phev gives battery issues could it be repaired for a decent amount and could continue to drive coz I'm a bit scared about diesel engines after hearing (have no exp) about crazy regular maintenance prices.

18 hours ago, YohanNewbie said:

I'm planning to buy something in the similar range and My options are Sorento 2012, Montero Sport and Outlander Phev 2013/2014 (Old face). I love the way Outlander looks would like to know if Phev gives battery issues could it be repaired for a decent amount and could continue to drive coz I'm a bit scared about diesel engines after hearing (have no exp) about crazy regular maintenance prices.

Watchout for the JATCO Transmission in Outlander which is notorious for giving trouble after 100K. out of the above lot, Montero Sport would be ideal but if your looking for creature comfort, Try to source a Sorento, if Diesel doesn't suits you why not source a well maintained Petrol one?

Edited by Ruslan