• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vw Beetle

Supra_Natural

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To revive this discussion, does anyone know where i can get hold of workshop manuals and owners manuals for bugs???

and also think i have found the car..... will keep updated......

U can get a Heynes Manual from Lake House book shop opposite Trans Asia or LP.

U can get a Heynes Manual from Lake House book shop opposite Trans Asia or LP.

thanks Gtam, how about owners manuals??? would you know anywhere? i found online copies, but i'd like to get hold of a hard copy if i can...

thanks Gtam, how about owners manuals??? would you know anywhere? i found online copies, but i'd like to get hold of a hard copy if i can...

Not sure mate. But hey why not join the Beetle club. Call the Motor Mag and speak to Nimal he's a member. They have fun and track events. Slow but fun I'm sure.

Not sure mate. But hey why not join the Beetle club. Call the Motor Mag and speak to Nimal he's a member. They have fun and track events. Slow but fun I'm sure.

I was actually wondering how i could go about doing that....... Nimal Wimalasuriya the Editor of Mototmag?? Thanks, yes i'll do that.

hey shame u missed é G2G bro - bTw did u buy that Mazda Autozam??

wut did u settle for in the end?

ado, quite by accident came across someone to go check the bug out..... another relation of mine had an EL reg bug till very recently, he said lets go look......

Edited by Supra_Natural

hey shame u missed é G2G bro - bTw did u buy that Mazda Autozam??

wut did u settle for in the end?

D_Z Machan made up my mind on some thing eles I will be buying it next week will post da pics as soon as I buy it

by da way I c da Z is still with you

ado, quite by accident came across someone to go check the bug out..... another relation of mine had an EL reg bug till very recently, he said lets go look......

Just asking S_N what made u set your mind on a Bug?????????? cuz u know old cars need a lot of attention

Hey Supra-N

Good to hear you're giving the Beetle some thought.

I have a '72 1303 which i've maintained for the last 15 years or so...

Buying a Beetle is a minefield- there's enough out there, but very few in good condition.

If i was to give you any advice:

- For Looks, comfort, the Superbeetle is best (ie. 1302/1303).

It also has a larger tank (range!) and a little more space in the..errrgh... Boot since the spare sits flat.

Since it rides on a modern Golf Front suspension (Mcpher's front, trailing arm rear), you can also take to adding fat wheels and rims without too much issue. Series 2 and above came with the more-modern 4 lug setup.

However, parts are far more expensive for this car. I'm not talking about engine...just the body, interior and cosmetics.

The front struts/coils will set you back a few...but worst of all is the steering box. Its a worm and roller set up, and easily wears out with abuse on our roads- which is how i found my car initially. So far i haven't found anyone who can restore the steering box to near original spec. I'm resigning myself to getting a reconditioned box from the UK...for 200 Pounds!!!

- the more basic 1300 is far more easier to restore and maintain, especially if when looking at the cost fact. Slight differences are a small fuel tank, upright spare, narrower cabin, conventional front suspension, dashboard a part of the body. Electrical wiring far more simpler and easily repaired.

Both models share mix-mashes of the engines, and are interchangeable with little or no modification. Watch out for blown engines (smoking, unbalanced idles a good sign)

One other key point to look for: Chassis structure. All beetles have what is call a "Chassis Head" which essentially is the intersection point in the chassis between the main floor section and the front suspension. All beetles are prone to high corrosion in this area and the head is likely to 'crack' once it wears through. Indication of this (apart from visible signs) is a detached steering feel (ie. "i'm turning one way, the car feels like its going the other way!). Repairing this is a rather complex operation since the rigidity of the car comes from the chassis and body combined, but you can't work on the head without removing the body, which compromises the entire structure,etc, etc....

Anyways, let me know if you've found a car...i can let you know a few more points to look for....

Good luck!

Hey sajiv,

i was reading the thread. Im not a beetle expert but from what i know you really should go for a 1303 or a 1303s thats the best. U know if you are looking for manuals and even parts u should try e bay. if you want i can help you out with it. i can get them for you and send them. drop me an e mail [email protected]

was with Supra Natural when looking for Bugs GUNAT - but saw a grand total of ONE super beetle!!! :(

those things r downright illusive - n even é one which we found was in pieces of sorts - being "modified" / Adulterated by its present owner!! :@

look like 1300 is wut S_N is gonna wind up settling with...

do u know anyone who may have a 1303 up for grabs?

also is an alternator replacement of é Dynamo set up on 1960's BUgs a common modification??

does it have any known draw backs??

was with Supra Natural when looking for Bugs GUNAT - but saw a grand total of ONE super beetle!!! :(

those things r downright illusive - n even é one which we found was in pieces of sorts - being "modified" / Adulterated by its present owner!! :@

also is an alternator replacement of é Dynamo set up on 1960's BUgs a common modification??

Arent you suppose to head towards negombo with Supra Natural this saturday? I found 3 for you. Anywaysmaximum pay for a bug should be 3 as people comment

Yes, its hard to find a car thats unmolested...and even at that, it still involves restoration. Ideally, the 1300 is the cheaper option since you'll then leave room/money for restoring a car.

I recall seeing a yellow 1303 for sale in Kohuwela about 6 months back. No idea who it belonged to or if it changed hands.

A common myth is that the dynamo set up is undesirable- my car has a dynamo, and i've had absolutely no problems in the 15 years i've had it...apart from slightly dimmed lights at night time, everything else is fine. Not to say the conversion is a bad thing, it only makes the car more efficient, electrically speaking.

I'm told that there are better cars to be found in kurunegala and ratnapura...although i don't know how true this is....

hola bro - dunno what S_N's plans r so he'll reply ur post 2mrw...

@Gunat - yes Rathanapura is a trove of good bugs i'm told - mostly one owner straight up cars but its not quite viable to go out there if a purchase cant be guaranteed...

we've looked at nearly 11 bugs now...exhuasting...he's looking for a daily budget runner so a 1300 seems fair given he can as u mentioned put in cash for repairs,which he'd save if he gave a 1303 a miss

anyways he wants to seal things ASAP so doubt he'll wait around for a suber beetle to show

Hola - what have u got lined up for Supra bro?

hey guys thanks for the massive response........ highly appreciated :)

@ Gunat, thanks mate, your post was very enlightening, I'd had a suprising amount of trouble finding out the exact extent of the differences between the standard and the super beetles.... yes, this particular car that i have my eye on, is cosmetically crap, but structurally very good, the mechanic unbolted the gas tank and showed me the chassis head specifically...... it looked in good shape. this car has been based out of colombo and was apparently given to this guy for reconditioning...... I tested it and it seems quite good, so pending checkup by someone who knows beetles........ btw machan may i please have your E-mail address??

@ Malith, Sorry i couldn't get in touch earlier, yes i'll definitely mail you soon, was thinking of asking for your help....... thanks

@ Hola, Bro found one car that seems decent down here..... if that doesnt work out, we will definitely be heading towards sunny negombo, cos we've exhuasted all the leads down here :D D_z's getting totally fed up, and i'm not tthat thrilled myself.... :lol:

Cheers guys

Will keep you posted

D_Z Machan made up my mind on some thing eles I will be buying it next week will post da pics as soon as I buy it

by da way I c da Z is still with you

Just asking S_N what made u set your mind on a Bug?????????? cuz u know old cars need a lot of attention

hey bro, I've always loved the bug man, my grandad had a very early one, and that was the first car i ever rode in :).... Sadly i never got to drive it though....... Actually machan, the bug is a fairly simple car, and VERY rugged, so it's a bit less trouble to keep on the road than most others from that era... (at least lets hope so..... or else i'm royally screwed !!!! :lol:)

Edited by Supra_Natural

Hey guys, this is just a question out of sheer boredom, but does anyone know what performance mods can be done on a VW bug?? I seem to remember reading somewhere on the forums about a guy who dragged a beetle here in SL..... anyone know what he was running??

Hey guys, this is just a question out of sheer boredom, but does anyone know what performance mods can be done on a VW bug?? I seem to remember reading somewhere on the forums about a guy who dragged a beetle here in SL..... anyone know what he was running??

Before these why not we concentrate in getting advices to chose a good VW? And then get the car then think of the mods

Before these why not we concentrate in getting advices to chose a good VW? And then get the car then think of the mods

ur right bro.... but I think I might actually have found the right car here...... will keep you updated....

ur right bro.... but I think I might actually have found the right car here...... will keep you updated....

Some of my good friends at AL told me just now that i was rude to you on the post. Sory, my point was first to find a good beetle and then think of the mods. And we realy can find a good one for sure

Some of my good friends at AL told me just now that i was rude to you on the post. Sory, my point was first to find a good beetle and then think of the mods. And we realy can find a good one for sure

Rude? How exactly?? I didn't notice mate.... :)