• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Oil for Montero Mk3 3.5 GDI

JayCee

Question

Just bought a Montero. It has done 147,000 km. I want to do an engine flush and oil change but a little confused. The previous owner said he used 0W-20 Synthetic. Unit#d Mot#rs recommends 10W-30. I am considering using 5W-40 Synthetic. 

I will not be putting a lot of kilometres on the car as it's not a daily driver. So definitely not 5000 km in one year. 

3 answers to this question

14 hours ago, JayCee said:

Just bought a Montero. It has done 147,000 km. I want to do an engine flush and oil change but a little confused. The previous owner said he used 0W-20 Synthetic. Unit#d Mot#rs recommends 10W-30. I am considering using 5W-40 Synthetic. 

I will not be putting a lot of kilometres on the car as it's not a daily driver. So definitely not 5000 km in one year. 

Hmmm....20 viscocity seems a bit too low for that kind of car (its heavy and engine does have to work a bit hard..even with its large capacity engine...so the oil might have a tendency to thin out due to heat on even small runs. Oil heat is different from the engine heat you see on the dash).

30 seems reasonable if the engine is in good shape and you do not do anything other than normal use (10km-ish drives in low traffic). If you are constanty sitting in traffic or doing high-load runs and the engine is a bit tired due to age, then there is nothing wrong in using 40 weight oil. The lightest oil might have given the previous owner a very very small increase in fuel efficiency because of the lower engine component resistance.

You should also look in to replacing differential oil, transmission fluid and transfer case fluid (in SL for some reason the garages always skip that). Other than that, do a proper chassis clean-up and lubrication which would also include cleaning up the 4wd system solenoids and checking for air leaks in the 4WD system (Mitsubishi's super select 4wd is notorious for it). Whist you are at it might as well check the suspension bushings as well...especially the control arms.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. Sorry for the late responses as I was unable to check the site. Went with 5W40 synthetic. Thanks for the tips on fluid replacement, I suspect those may not have been done on schedule. 

No record of timing belt replacement unfortunately.