• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic 06 Petrol Or Diesel

maliths

Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a new car and I have decided on the 06 Honda Civic EX but what I am stuck on is which one to go for 1.8 PETROL or 2.2 DIESEL. Good and bad points with both are:

PETROL: Lower cost to buy, Less fuel efficient, less torque than diesel

DIESEL: Higher price, Better MPG, Much more torque, same BHP as petrol

http://motors.scotsman.com/roadtests.cfm?id=2373632005

So what does everyone else think about this? Which one would be the best to go for?

Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a new car and I have decided on the 06 Honda Civic EX but what I am stuck on is which one to go for 1.8 PETROL or 2.2 DIESEL. Good and bad points with both are:

So what does everyone else think about this? Which one would be the best to go for?

Maliths what are the Prices of these two cars ( Petrol and Diesel ). Also have you compared the Price of the Peaugoet 407 Price with the Honda Civic Price

Hi guys,

It all depend on what you use the vehicle for. If you require to cover high milage then a deisel will be better.

If for me I would pick the petrol.

Maliths what are the Prices of these two cars ( Petrol and Diesel ). Also have you compared the Price of the Peaugoet 407 Price with the Honda Civic Price

Hi,

Well the prices brand new are about 18K pounds for Diesel and about 17K pounds for petrol. But used I have seen diesel (with 1500miles) 16-17K and petrol (with about 3000 miles) for about 14-15K. I am thining of getting a slightly used since that will be cheaper than brand new. Prices are for Civic EX trim.

407 prices start at around 15K pounds for basic models and goes up quite high. But used with about 10K miles can get for around 11-12K but wont have sat nav and all gadgets. thats what I love about the civic that it comes fully loaded.

It all depend on what you use the vehicle for. If you require to cover high milage then a deisel will be better.

If for me I would pick the petrol.

Well the thing is I will probably do about 8 to 10K miles each year. I would like to go for a petrol but then I think the diesel is quite good as well. I mean 0-60 time is 0.3 seconds faster on the DIESEL. And much better torque as well.

Hi Maliths,

I must say I love Honda Diesels,

But remember, Diesels are more expensive to service, and in the UK diesel fuel also costs more than petrol, so I think in a value for money point of view if you are only going to do about 10K miles a year, its not worth paying the Extra premium for a Diesel,

Having said that, the choice is up to you,

The Don

Well the thing is I will probably do about 8 to 10K miles each year. I would like to go for a petrol but then I think the diesel is quite good as well. I mean 0-60 time is 0.3 seconds faster on the DIESEL. And much better torque as well.

Since you are in the UK check on the service cost as well like Don is saying. For your milage I would say a petrol is good. It is upto you on the choice coz you are going to be the person driving it.

I have heard very good things about the new honda diesel engine, anyway with the added torque it should be so much more fun to drive as well...

for a good critical analysis of the diesel and petrol models refer http://www.autozine.org/html/Honda/Civic_8th.html

best of luck buddy, keep us posted on your decision.

I have heard very good things about the new honda diesel engine, anyway with the added torque it should be so much more fun to drive as well...

for a good critical analysis of the diesel and petrol models refer http://www.autozine.org/html/Honda/Civic_8th.html

best of luck buddy, keep us posted on your decision.

Thanks for the info guys. After reading that review I do have some concerns. Well anyway I have booked a test drive this weekend and try both petrol and diesel then try and decide. I will keep you updated on how it goes.

Thanks again

Thanks for the info guys. After reading that review I do have some concerns. Well anyway I have booked a test drive this weekend and try both petrol and diesel then try and decide. I will keep you updated on how it goes.

Thanks again

I had a Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi and I used to manage Cardiff-London-Cardiff on 20 pounds worth of diesel. If a lot of motorway is involved and if you like the torque, diesel is the way to go. Might be easier to sell as well with the increasing demand for diesels.

Check the servicing cost differences just incase.

The Peugeots (Value for money compared to most other Euros) are much nicer on the motorways with better sound insulation and the Euro car feel compared to the Japs which feel and are lighter. Have a drive and see. Passat also well worth checking.

Hi,

Well the prices brand new are about 18K pounds for Diesel and about 17K pounds for petrol. But used I have seen diesel (with 1500miles) 16-17K and petrol (with about 3000 miles) for about 14-15K. I am thining of getting a slightly used since that will be cheaper than brand new. Prices are for Civic EX trim.

407 prices start at around 15K pounds for basic models and goes up quite high. But used with about 10K miles can get for around 11-12K but wont have sat nav and all gadgets. thats what I love about the civic that it comes fully loaded.

Machang, i never got the luck to use or drive diesel and petrol on the same car model but i can comment something on the van we own. We had a diesel Hiace LH113 which was 2800CC and then sold it off and got a 2000CC EFI Petrol. Touch wood the minatainance on the petrol have been nil compared to various issues we had with the diesel like plugs, injector issues etc. It wasnt that bad but compared the current petrol is a heaven. So for us the main good thing from diesel to petrol is maintainace

Machang, i never got the luck to use or drive diesel and petrol on the same car model but i can comment something on the van we own. We had a diesel Hiace LH113 which was 2800CC and then sold it off and got a 2000CC EFI Petrol. Touch wood the minatainance on the petrol have been nil compared to various issues we had with the diesel like plugs, injector issues etc. It wasnt that bad but compared the current petrol is a heaven. So for us the main good thing from diesel to petrol is maintainace

Just an update on my search. I have been calling around dealers and I found a 2.2 Diesel Registered 02/06 with 9K miles and its £14.9K which is not bad considering its £18.8K new. found another registered 01/07 with 5K miles £17.2K. I am not sure if paying around £2k more is worth for a car with 4K miles less and abt 1 year newer. what do u guys think.

Havent been able to find how much servicing will cost for petrol and diesel but I did come across a thing called honda hapiness package which is £500 for five years which includes all parts and labour cost for serving for the five years which i think is not too bad cos right now i have an old punto and it costs about £140 for a full service.

That Honda happiness sounds like a really good deal, considering a dealer service is quite expensive

those seem to be pretty good deals you have found, well done, and honda's usually hold their value well after the initial depriciation

That Honda happiness sounds like a really good deal, considering a dealer service is quite expensive

those seem to be pretty good deals you have found, well done, and honda's usually hold their value well after the initial depriciation

Hi Guys,

FInally had a chance to go and have a test drive. Tried both petrol and diesel.

Petrol: The engine did seem a bit sluggish on low revs but came alive when reved a bit. But i did feel it had much less torque. Ride was quite alright. A bit hard I guess since the car had 17'' alloys. There was a bit of cabin noise but not too loud. The petrol also seemed to be a bit jerky when changing gear. Got out of the car while the engine was running to see what the sound was like and it was awful :( didnt sound nice at all.

Diesel: Much much more torque. Quite nice to drive and nice pulling power. much smoother than the petrol. There was a bit of engine noise coming into the cabin like a whining. im not sure if the diesel was a bit more comfartable cos it does weigh a bit more. But overall the diesel felt more refined and smoother as well.

So i think that means I will probably be going for the diesel.

Hi Guys,

FInally had a chance to go and have a test drive. Tried both petrol and diesel.

Petrol: The engine did seem a bit sluggish on low revs but came alive when reved a bit. But i did feel it had much less torque. Ride was quite alright. A bit hard I guess since the car had 17'' alloys. There was a bit of cabin noise but not too loud. The petrol also seemed to be a bit jerky when changing gear. Got out of the car while the engine was running to see what the sound was like and it was awful :( didnt sound nice at all.

Diesel: Much much more torque. Quite nice to drive and nice pulling power. much smoother than the petrol. There was a bit of engine noise coming into the cabin like a whining. im not sure if the diesel was a bit more comfartable cos it does weigh a bit more. But overall the diesel felt more refined and smoother as well.

So i think that means I will probably be going for the diesel.

hey man... sorry this is late but to add my 2c's on this, IMO you should go for the diesel. especially if you can get that service package you mentioned, that honda diesel is supposed to be an excellent engine and will probably overall provide you with more enjoyment over the long term.... and over time you'll make a saving on your fuel bill as well, even if petrol and diesel cost the same....

you have to pay tax based on emssions right? and if i remember correctly th diesel has a lower co2 rating as well?

hey man... sorry this is late but to add my 2c's on this, IMO you should go for the diesel. especially if you can get that service package you mentioned, that honda diesel is supposed to be an excellent engine and will probably overall provide you with more enjoyment over the long term.... and over time you'll make a saving on your fuel bill as well, even if petrol and diesel cost the same....

you have to pay tax based on emssions right? and if i remember correctly th diesel has a lower co2 rating as well?

Hi,

well about that honda hapiness thing well it seems its only for brand new vehicles. But the car i went to see I got them to give me 2 years free servicing (about £440) for free i mean included in the £14.9K price. as a added bonus that car even had factory tinted glass which i think is another coulple of hundred. and also when i asked about serivicing prices it seems petrol and diesel prices are the same about £160 for minor service and about £280 for major service.

But the only thing now is if i can afford to pay for it :D

Hi,

Well I am a great fan of Honda Diesels, as i have said many times,

only one small thing to be concerned about, which is they haven't been around for that long, so not quite sure exactly how they will perform long term, not that honda has had any durability problems,

I also ready some reviews on the new Type R, and how some believe in the hot hatch market, essentially what people are looking for is a daily runner which can be thrashed around the track once in a while, and the ride quality and the noise of the new Type R, just doesn't make it a very nice daily runner, though there is no argument about how well it drives otherwise,

Best of luck with your car choice Maliths, if you do get one please post some pics especially of the engine,

The Don

PS. Supra Diesel is about 3-6p more then Petrol. so more people do not buy diesels for economy, but mostly for the torque etc, at least when it comes to cars I think. But the Peugeot HDI's are exceptionally good in the economy frontier. I recently drove a 307SW which had a 1.6 HDI in it, and it was a breeze to drive on the motorway, good torque, satisfactory acceleration and the only thing that put me off was the gizmos inside the car, and all that from a 1.6 engine which delivered exceptional fuel economy.

Edited by The Don

Hi,

Well I am a great fan of Honda Diesels, as i have said many times,

only one small thing to be concerned about, which is they haven't been around for that long, so not quite sure exactly how they will perform long term, not that honda has had any durability problems,

I also ready some reviews on the new Type R, and how some believe in the hot hatch market, essentially what people are looking for is a daily runner which can be thrashed around the track once in a while, and the ride quality and the noise of the new Type R, just doesn't make it a very nice daily runner, though there is no argument about how well it drives otherwise,

Best of luck with your car choice Maliths, if you do get one please post some pics especially of the engine,

The Don

PS. Supra Diesel is about 3-6p more then Petrol. so more people do not buy diesels for economy, but mostly for the torque etc, at least when it comes to cars I think. But the Peugeot HDI's are exceptionally good in the economy frontier. I recently drove a 307SW which had a 1.6 HDI in it, and it was a breeze to drive on the motorway, good torque, satisfactory acceleration and the only thing that put me off was the gizmos inside the car, and all that from a 1.6 engine which delivered exceptional fuel economy.

Hey Guys,

Finally decided to get the Civic 2.2. Went and picked up the car last night. I think I got an ok deal with the whole thing. Its a 06 Civic 2.2 i-ctdi 9.7K miles on the clock. the dealers did the first service last week so im ok for another year and since I got 2 years free servicing hopefully everything else will be ok.

I did about 115 Miles today in the morning about half of it on motorways and the rest on country roads. It had dont an average of 49 MPG which is not bad i guess. First thing i noticed the ride was quite bumpy on the small road with pot holes. but on the motorway it was fine and cabin noise was ok but not the best. quite fun to drive and overtaking is a breeze it just pulls away quite fast.

Inside the rear view was not too god cos of the odd rear window. but getting used to it now. i havent really gone through pressing all the buttons and trying everything out yet. and the voice control seems to work faily well. i mean it does recognise most of what i say although some times it does something completely different. I will post some pics as soon as i get a chance to take some.

Congrats machan, please post some pics soon, I would actually love to take a look at the engine if u dont mind,

out of curiosity which part of the UK do you live in?

Regards,

The Don

Edited by The Don

Congrats machan, please post some pics soon, I would actually love to take a look at the engine if u dont mind,

out of curiosity which part of the UK do you live in?

Regards,

The Don

Thanks. Well I will try to get some pics posted over the weekend. Well at the moment I live in manchester but i work down in wales. where about r u based?

First thing i noticed the ride was quite bumpy on the small road with pot holes.

datz coz da euro hatch ain't got double wish bone rear suspension like the sedan or coupe... anyway congratz Malith :) itz a good car!

Edited by isurujosh

Thanks. Well I will try to get some pics posted over the weekend. Well at the moment I live in manchester but i work down in wales. where about r u based?

Hi,

Well lived in Newcastle for a long while, and these days live and work in London (since a few months back), have been to Manchester a few times last year as a very dear friend of mine lives in Salford

Regards,

Tthe Don

whoa N-I-C-E :D

i didnt quite realize that u were on abt the new gen Hatch - the new design looks good - seems the perfect city car :)

(...hmmm but as slick as that interior is,they bltantly copied the gear selector off of a Volvo S60!!)

The trade mark Volvo Performance trim - "Space Ball" shifter

IPB Image