• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Diesel Suv For Permit

madmax

Best Diesel SUV for Duty Free Permit  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your choice

• Hyundai Tucson 2.0l Diesel
    • Hyundai SantaFe 2.2l Diesel
    • Mitsubishi Motero 2.8 Diesel
    • Mitsubishi Montero sport 2.5l Diesel
    • Nissan Xtrail 2.2l Diesel
    • Toyota Prado 2.8l Diesel

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this may stray from your original idea...but have you given thought to the new L200 Pickup? IMO, it has one hell of a presence in terms of looks- saw one on the road y'day. Unimo has the 2.5 turbo on its website, but i'm not sure if thats the same blinged out version i saw y'day.

IPB Image

yeah Gunat the new L200 or rather the SPORTERO as they've christened it looks radical! The design may be a tad bold given the fact that in most markets it will be used in situations where the curves and lines of a vehicle go unnoticed such as a construction site etc.

but in the local context most Double cabs have been family favourites given the rugged looks n performance combined with the added bonus of the load carrying capacity

IPB Image

The L200 is hands down the best looking Double Car ever to hit the local market - Mitsubishi have done a nice job making a functional heavy duty machine,look very presentable :)

IPB Image

If its a dual purpose vehicle that can be chucked about is what is required,then the new L200 ,as you suggested Gunat , would be an excellent choice & would have my vote as well :)

IPB Image

If the Grand Cherokee Diesel falls within the range yes, else the Santa FE

sadly it doesn't :( - a few Turbo Diesel Grand Cherokee's had been snapped up by the ministers some months ago and have been seen around

which would suggest that it was meant for the $35,000 CIF value bracket

also the 3L displacement on the CRD Jeep motors would disqualify them as well from being bought under those permits :(

The Toureg will be beyond the allowed CIF value.

Hmm I thought the Touregs that are on our roads came on some permit. <_<

MadMax why not a FREELANDER with a TD4 2.0L Diesel unit?

The LR Discovery 3 is an ideal chioce given its 2.7TD unit,but i doubt it'll fit into the CIF limit :(

Devinda any idea when the new Freelander hits our shores? This one should be a huge improvement over the old model eh?

Hmm I thought the Touregs that are on our roads came on some permit. <_<

Devinda any idea when the new Freelander hits our shores? This one should be a huge improvement over the old model eh?

said to be sometime around June/July at the earliest...

HUGE improvement - interms of the technology on board its on par with the bigger LR3 n Rangy

Design wise it takes too many style cues from the LR3 - its almost as if they've scaled the ery same thing down n made it fit BUT....if u've gotta good thing going why change eh! :D

The L series engines on the earler feelanders had their issues but were usable - Rover K series - well i'd rather not open that can of worms (good engine elsewhere - except when hauling a full time 4wheel drive SUV! :()

the new Freelnder 2 will retain the Td4 powerplant which is good news as the petrol is supposed to be very thirsty

cant wait to see the new LR2 in the flesh!

A small note on the Mitsubishi L200 which is marketed as the Outlander over here,

The Nissan equivalent marketed as the Navara over here (got no idea what its marketed as in SL) is supposed to be a better alternative with a more responsive power plant better handelling and I am sure this is a matter of opinion better looks,

Toyotal Hilux Surf should have similar options to the Montero sport, at least I think but do not know if it qualifies,

Its sad that the Xtrail Diesel's and the rav 4 Diesels are not imported to SL not to mention the CRV Diesel with the I-CDTI engine, all great motors.

The Don

Yes, it is a Fortuner. Where is that thing made? Thailand? Doesn't seem to have the same quality level as something from Japan..

Of course, should be Thailand. Speaking of Toyota, how sure are we that the new Prado is made in Japan?

Yes, it is a Fortuner. Where is that thing made? Thailand? Doesn't seem to have the same quality level as something from Japan..

Is this Forturunner on offer too?Looks nice

Apparently that leaves us only with the Montero Sports. But for that also discussions are under way with MMC japan Hope Unim* can offer atleast this one.

Why go for a truck based SUV with agricultural rear suspension, spending all that money?

sadly it doesn't :( - a few Turbo Diesel Grand Cherokee's had been snapped up by the ministers some months ago and have been seen around

which would suggest that it was meant for the $35,000 CIF value bracket

also the 3L displacement on the CRD Jeep motors would disqualify them as well from being bought under those permits :(

I saw 2 diesel Grand Cherokees next to each other outside JAIC yesterday. You're right, one was a minister cos there was a LR complete with waving monkeys parked next to it. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they were waving when the vehicle was parked.

@S_N sent you a mail. Sorry for the delay.

The agents are busy at work trying to offer as much choices as they can for the permits. Here are the new adition to the list above.

Kia Sorento Diesel

Ssangyong Kyron

Ssangyong Actyon

Ssangyon Rexton

What are your comments on this?

The agents are busy at work trying to offer as much choices as they can for the permits. Here are the new adition to the list above.

Kia Sorento Diesel

Ssangyong Kyron

Ssangyong Actyon

Ssangyon Rexton

Don't need a permit for the Ssangyongs. Rexton is not bad for the price.

Kia Sorento Diesel

Ssangyong Kyron

Ssangyong Actyon

Ssangyon Rexton

The Rexton is now Lankan right?