• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Family Sedan

Crishan

Hey ppl!!

Need some expert ideas from u guys. I'm in a hunt for a new car (sedan) for ma familly. Sold da station wagon we had. (Nissan wingroad) Have some cars in ma mind. Wat do u all think is da best???

Toyota Corolla AE110

Hyundai Asccent/Elantra

Nissan N16 (Dont wanna go 4 da FB 15 cos of da signal light thifes)

Honda Civic Ek3

Looking for a second hand recondition car. wat are the current prices of these cars & wat is the fuel economical car???

I like Peugeout 406 as well. But ma previous boss had it & it gave some trouble to him so he sold it. hows the fuel consumption in 406?? is t hard to find spare parts???

Please be kind enough to help me guys from spending a bit of ur time to reply this message.

Thanks in advance!!!

Tc!!!

Hey ppl!!

Need some expert ideas from u guys. I'm in a hunt for a new car (sedan) for ma familly. Sold da station wagon we had. (Nissan wingroad) Have some cars in ma mind. Wat do u all think is da best???

Toyota Corolla AE110

Hyundai Asccent/Elantra

Honda Civic Ek3

Looking for a second hand recondition car. wat are the current prices of these cars & wat is the fuel economical car???

I like Peugeout 406 as well. But ma previous boss had it & it gave some trouble to him so he sold it. hows the fuel consumption in 406?? is t hard to find spare parts???

Please be kind enough to help me guys from spending a bit of ur time to reply this message.

Thanks in advance!!!

Tc!!!

Hey ya!

1/.Whats your Budget?

2/.Would you mind Korean? Cause your 2nd choice is all Korean

3/.Do you get car mainataince from office? Then lets think about the 406

4/.Whats your annual fuel budget? Then we can decide the engine capacity

Im sure the rest of the guys will give you plenty of info on the other cars you asked about (but it would be helpful if you could tell us exactly what your requirements are)

About the 406, if you're looking for a new-ish car within a reasonable budget that you want to enjoy purely DRIVING, then the 406 is hard to beat at it's price point.... also, when compared to all the other cars you have mentioned, it is in a completely different league for refinement and comfort...

There are two distinct generations of 406, the D8 (1996-99)

IPB Image

And the D9 (1999-2004),

IPB Image

the differences between the two range from different lights front and rear, through interior equipment upgrades, as well as different engines and upgraded gearboxes..

Prices for the D8 Range from 1.1 to 1.5 million Rs

The D9 can range from 1.7million to around 2.3 for one of the last cars... Diesel Models will be nearer the 3 million mark

Engine Choices are, 1.8 and 2.0 Ltr Petrol and 2.0ltr Turbodiesel

Of the two petrols, suprisingly it is the 2ltr engine that is the more economical, as the 1.8 struggles a little with the weight of the car...

in general, if driven properly you can get between 6-8 KmPl in town... but this depends very much on the driving style... it really is a good thing if your company funds the petrol

as for problems, they are usually specific to a single car, the only generic problems concern the build quality of some dashboard trim, and the electrics of the instument panel....

best thing to do is get the newest car you possibly can, which preferably has been maintained independently from the agents.... in the case of peugeot, "Agent Maintained" is NOT always a good thing...

Parts are available at a couple of places in an around colombo (wont mention names here)... and generally nothing to worry about in that department

Here are a couple of cars that were in the AL Classifieds recently

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=1809

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=1557

hope this was useful, if you need anything more, feel free to mail me on 

Cheers and Happy Hunting

Edited by Supra_Natural

Supra_Natural said:

Im sure the rest of the guys will give you plenty of info on the other cars you asked about (but it would be helpful if you could tell us exactly what you're requirements are)

About the 406, if you're looking for a new-ish car within a reasonable budget that you want to enjoy purely DRIVING, then the 406 is hard to beat at it's price point.... also, when compared to all the other cars you have mentioned, it is in a completely different league for refinement and comfort...

There are two distinct generations of 406, the D8 (1996-99)

IPB Image

And the D9 (1999-2004),

IPB Image

the differences between the two range from different lights front and rear, through interior equipment upgrades, as well as different engines and upgraded gearboxes..

Prices for the D8 Range from 1.1 to 1.5 million Rs

The D9 can range from 1.7million to around 2.3 for one of the last cars... Diesel Models will be nearer the 3 million mark

Engine Choices are, 1.8 and 2.0 Ltr Petrol and 2.0ltr Turbodiesel

Of the two petrols, suprisingly it is the 2ltr engine that is the more economical, as the 1.8 struggles a little with the weight of the car...

in general, if driven properly you can get between 6-8 KmPl in town... but this depends very much on the driving style... it really is a good thing if your company funds the petrol

as for problems, they are usually specific to a single car, the only generic problems concern the build quality of some dashboard trim, and the electrics of the instument panel....

best thing to do is get the newest car you possibly can, which preferably has been maintained independently from the agents.... in the case of peugeot, "Agent Maintained" is NOT always a good thing...

Parts are available at a couple of places in an around colombo (wont mention names here)... and generally nothing to worry about in that department

Here are a couple of cars that were in the AL Classifieds recently

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=1809

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=1557

hope this was useful, if you need anything more, feel free to mail me on Cheers and Happy Hunting

Yup, I whole heartedly agree with Supra... I used a 406, for a brief period.. it is indeed a neat driving machine., and very comfortable. Go for 2.0 ltr petrol, if u do decide..

Cheers.

Edited by Supra_Natural

Hey ppl!!

Toyota Corolla AE110

Hyundai Asccent/Elantra

Honda Civic Ek3

Thanks in advance!!!

Tc!!!

Hey, the N16 Signal Lights are just as easy to steal as the B15...... They've even been stolen off of the WP-GI series police cars....... :lol:

Crishan,

As a former 406 D8 owner and having driven one of my close friend's D9 many times I can tell you confidently that I fully agree with Supra Natural. Dynamically the 406 is in another league compared to all the other cars you have listed put together. I have driven all of them.

One long drive in a 406 should convince you not to go near the other 4 cars you mention. As for reliability and maintenence, my 406 was very relaible in the six months I used it. But there are electrical irritaions that could develop. My car's central locking played up and was repaired easily by garage I go to.

Also some owners have mentioned about air vents breaking etc. This is quite possible even though I or my friend never experienced it in our cars.

If you enjoy driving and want a great riding car, the 406 is the best. If I was not a Alfisti I would be in a 406. It's ride is even better than my Alfas' even though the Alfa is a lot sportier and has a different character. Your long drives will never be the same again.

On the negative side, although there is denmand for the 406 when it comes to selling time you will have to wait a bit longer than the Toyota and Nissan.

But for me the difference in Dynamics is well worth that small sacrifice.

Hey ppl!!

Toyota Corolla AE110

Hyundai Asccent/Elantra

Honda Civic Ek3

If you are looking for an economical, reliable and comfortable car that is easy to sell the Corolla is the obvious answer. While the purchase price may be on the high side (with good reason ofcourse) you will appreciate the ease with which you can sell. Also consider Carina/ Premio as alternatives.

Avoid the Koreans. Horrible on fuel (mostly the Autos), most cars are Singapore hacked and impossible to sell without taking a big hit.

If you have slightly deeper pockets, willing to spend a little more time on the glitches and dont mind loosing out on the resale a bit, the 406 is the best buy for the 'Euro' feel.

If you are looking for an economical, reliable and comfortable car that is easy to sell the Corolla is the obvious answer. While the purchase price may be on the high side (with good reason ofcourse) you will appreciate the ease with which you can sell. Also consider Carina/ Premio as alternatives.

Avoid the Koreans. Horrible on fuel (mostly the Autos), most cars are Singapore hacked and impossible to sell without taking a big hit.

If you have slightly deeper pockets, willing to spend a little more time on the glitches and dont mind loosing out on the resale a bit, the 406 is the best buy for the 'Euro' feel.

Yes Corrolla is the answear, you can find a buyer in 2 minutes. EVERYONE in the island knows the Corrolla, wants the corolla too. Then again the N16s and the FB15s have a good market too. Atleast you get what you paid

Thx a lot all u guys!!! (Hola,GTAm,milindu,nira74,buggati,supra-natural)

Well these are what I look for 2 buy a car.

1) Fuel Consumption (Not less than 10km per 1ltr)

2) Easy to find spare parts.

3) Easy to re-sell

When our family thought of buying the 2nd car I olso wanted to go for the Toyota. But I olso had peugeot in the corner of mind cos of the sleek look it has. As Spra-natural has mentioned that peugeot might do only 6-8kmpl I feel like peugeot might not be the car for me as I have to maintain & pump fuel by ma own. I rather think I should go for a Corolla or a Civic EK3

What do all think abt the new Suzuki Swift??

Thx a lot!!!! Great help form u guys!!!

Crishan.

Thx a lot all u guys!!! (Hola,GTAm,milindu,nira74,buggati,supra-natural)

Well these are what I look for 2 buy a car.

1) Fuel Consumption (Not less than 10km per 1ltr)

2) Easy to find spare parts.

3) Easy to re-sell

When our family thought of buying the 2nd car I olso wanted to go for the Toyota. But I olso had peugeot in the corner of mind cos of the sleek look it has. As Spra-natural has mentioned that peugeot might do only 6-8kmpl I feel like peugeot might not be the car for me as I have to maintain & pump fuel by ma own. I rather think I should go for a Corolla or a Civic EK3

What do all think abt the new Suzuki Swift??

Thx a lot!!!! Great help form u guys!!!

Crishan.

406 will give you only 7-8 km/L so forget it unless you save a large amount over the other cars, which I think you will. Spares are not a problem, re-sale won't be as quick as the others but the driving experience more compensates for that.

Anyway from the others I'll go for the new Suzuki Swift! It's new, looks good, quite good to drive and the agents are good.

406 will give you only 7-8 km/L so forget it unless you save a large amount over the other cars, which I think you will. Spares are not a problem, re-sale won't be as quick as the others but the driving experience more compensates for that.

Anyway from the others I'll go for the new Suzuki Swift! It's new, looks good, quite good to drive and the agents are good.

The Swift is a decent option. Will live up to your fuel expectations. Specially the new Japanese VVTi versions. You get 1300cc recons or the 1500cc Bnew.

The brandnew Indian one does only about 8km/l and the suspension is a bit on the bumpy side. It comes only as a manual. On the plus side, the parts are cheap (half the price of the Jap version) and the finish is good.

The Recon Jap has the SUV look but its still a small car. The auto does around 9-10km/l with the auto box in traffic. The ride is not as smooth as the Toyotas and the front suspension starts wobbling like in the Nissans (FB15) pretty quick.

The Toyota Passo is an alternative with 1000cc VVTi plant which should return 12-14km/l in the city (not verified). The model is starting to come in and will outsell the Swift in the recon market soon as the older Swift stocks finish taking its place (Since the newer Swift goes way over 2m). A newly registered Vitz would even be a better buy if a smaller car would do. It comes with pretty decent passenger space.

If budget permits, there are a few Mazda 323 cars left in some of the sales. At around 2.2m, its a good buy unregd. but expect to take a hit on the resale.

The Corolla 110 is still the best option looking at your criteria (The Honda will be a nicer to drive and own but costlier buy and to maintain) Make sure you find a newish car in decent shape.

As a confirmed euro-holic, it hurts me to say this, but crishan mate, for your list of requirements i think you'd be better off going with something like a swift or a corolla... the peugeot just wont fit the bill here im afraid...

good luck

Wel wel, I think I have to make up ma mind to a Corolla or to the new Swift. I saw in papers the starting price of the Swift is 1.7mil.

Any way ma Father will be spending on the car. So have to wait till he come down here. I saw in News that the Government is gonna give permission to Sri Lankans who work abroad to bring tax free vechiles. (Like what they are gonna implement for the Government workers) Maaannnn!!!! If that works don't no what 2 buy!!!!!! My 1st option will be the Toyota Allion or the Vios.

Hope this will work soon... Did any 1 else hear about this???

I olso saw a Cameraman in the Mortorcross rally getting hit by a Tire that came out from a Racing Mini. He got injured but now ok.

Cheerrs!!!! Tc!!!!

Crishan.

Wel wel, I think I have to make up ma mind to a Corolla or to the new Swift. I saw in papers the starting price of the Swift is 1.7mil.

Any way ma Father will be spending on the car. So have to wait till he come down here. I saw in News that the Government is gonna give permission to Sri Lankans who work abroad to bring tax free vechiles. (Like what they are gonna implement for the Government workers) Maaannnn!!!! If that works don't no what 2 buy!!!!!! My 1st option will be the Toyota Allion or the Vios.

Hope this will work soon... Did any 1 else hear about this???

I olso saw a Cameraman in the Mortorcross rally getting hit by a Tire that came out from a Racing Mini. He got injured but now ok.

Cheerrs!!!! Tc!!!!

Crishan.

Oh, not a Swift. Please.

Oh, not a Swift. Please.

Your post carries no weight Hola.. If your posting you might as well say something constructive or dont post at all..taste can be a very subjective thing. I for one think the swift is damn good bang for buck-regardless of taste

Edited by Pilawoos

Your post carries no weight Hola.. If your posting you might as well say something constructive or dont post at all..taste can be a very subjective thing. I for one think the swift is damn good bang for buck-regardless of taste

Fine, got 3 friends who uses swifts. All KA, KB, JZ numbers and none of them are happy with fuel economy. And i have been in one of them and i didnt like the feel and comfort of it. And as for the looks the "egg shaped" (nick name) Swift looks better but i dont know how it handles. But the price tag will always be over 2mil

Everyones got a friend who owns etc etc these days... how come you didnt advice them before they made their purchases? Anyway the 'Egg' shaped Jap Swift is terrible on fuel as its a very heavy car, with the high roof & all- it handles decent though but no where near the older generation ones. (KLM is the man for comments on the older ones) I've driven one a bit as my boss owns one :)

Excuse me guys but a tad confused here... which swift are we discussing now?? when Crishan said "New Swift"... i assumed he meant the latest, conventional looking model rather than the older, pseudo-SUV looking car... or have i got it wrong here??

Pilawoos, which car were you referring to machan?

Edited by Supra_Natural

I saw in News that the Government is gonna give permission to Sri Lankans who work abroad to bring tax free vechiles

there is or was a GIFT PERMIT scheme in place which allowed those working abroad to gift a vehicle to thier blood relatives

the permit does not remove the tax component completely but allows the import of an older vehicle

this has been discussed indepth on many threads - just try searching the AL forum - there was some useful information

also check with the following departments as to whether or not the permit is still in place...

http://www.imexport.gov.lk/

http://www.customs.gov.lk/mv.htm

there is or was a GIFT PERMIT scheme in place which allowed those working abroad to gift a vehicle to thier blood relatives

the permit does not remove the tax component completely but allows the import of an older vehicle

this has been discussed indepth on many threads - just try searching the AL forum - there was some useful information

also check with the following departments as to whether or not the permit is still in place...

http://www.imexport.gov.lk/

http://www.customs.gov.lk/mv.htm

ahh.. there you are.. Welcome :P

LOL yeah welcome ;)...

bdw crishan if u r planning to bring a vehicle with a tax exempted permit don't ever waste it on a car like vios for heavens sake...

If you are planing to get a vios get one with body kit, which means its used by residents not as a taxi