• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Self Tunning Or Ecu Resetting?doing Magcitystuff@home

chinth_guy

:jumping-smiley-013:

once i took my car for MAGCITY for cartuneup mine a mazda efi. they say wanted 5000/=. frustrated i came home and went through internet, then got to know removing terminals and keeping for 1-2 hours does the job. then start engine keep till temp rises and run the car in fast or slow mode for it to addapt to efficient or perfromance running pattern.

apart from this is their any magical tunning which people like magcity could do..yes i agree clean change plugs, clean change air filter and engine oil change also enhances efficieny. But is it for all this small crappy work they charge thumping amounts???

what a pathetic situation it is. hi tunning experts here. :jumping-smiley-013: :jumping-smiley-013:

Yes ..definately i visited i am not god to know they are full of bull shit....Just like a person visiting ramzi salon to take a crappy haircut and pay 5000buks when u can do it very cheap and a local barber. same with tunning ?

now do u have any piece of expert advice apart from what I know bout self tunning efi at home???

Dude, if you checked here before you went, you'll find that no one on this forum has ever recommended going to magcity.

I'm not too sure ur agents are too much better tho. Carmart pretty much gets bashed here too.

Very true Pericles .....

1. DO NOT GO TO MAGCITY- I was saved thanks to the good members in this forum.

2. Not too keen on the agents but I prefer to go to DPMC ( although they are now reluctant to take in mazda's)

3. I'm not too sure on the tuning as in removing the battery - but from what I know by plugging the car to the system it would tell you exactly wats wrong eg. plugs, filter and in some cases the oxygen sensor.. hence the removing of the battery and starting may not necessarily work.

Drop in at DPMC and speak to the service manager ( with a desperate kind of tone and they would assist ) Costs depends on the parts and wheat they have to do.

All the best

I'm pretty sure zakie has started tuning all brands now... if it's 'magic' you want, he's the guy to see...

Is it against the forum rules to ask how we can get in touch with him? My car desparately needs a tuneup and I'm sick of the agents charging me the earth for everything.

What our friend here has achieved to do is

1. reset the ecu by removing the battery wires for an extended period

2. got the ecu to learn tolerances for its sensors by running the car in the way he mentions

Now this is NOT a proper tune up, it is true modern cars do not have as many adjustable parameters as most are now automatically controlled by the ECU and thus a tuneup takes the form of a diagnostic session with a bit of performance tweaking

Things like ignition timing, idle speed etc can still be adjusted manually by skilled mechanics, and also plugging the car in to a diagnostic computer would help identify any problems with the all important sensors in the car,

because the car cannot properly tune itself if the sensors aren't working properly,

What Mag City has become is quite a shame, they have a lot of good diagnostic equipment, but the people there lack the skill and experience to use them properly. They have twice mis diagnosed problems in my car and cost me money in the process so i will never advice anybody to take a car there. Even Macro is slightly better than them. (They messed up the carburettor in my previous car but they have been spot on with their diagnosis up to now, the owner of that place is a very experienced auto engineer)

But Zackie is probably everybody's choice for most jap cars since a lot of people know him, and hear nothing but good things about him

Dear Chinth_guy

According to my recent, reading following sensor are used by ECU

•Crankshaft Position Sensor - Determines timing for fuel injection and ignition of each cylinder and also detects engine speed.

•Top Dead Center Sensor - Determines ignition timing at start-up (cranking) and when crank angle is abnormal.

•Cylinder Position Sensor - Detects position of #1 cylinder for sequential spark ignition to each cylinder.

•Engine Coolant Temperature - or ''ECT'' thermocouple input for engine coolant temperature

•Intake Air Temperature Sensor - or ''IAT'' thermocouple input for intake air temperature

•Map Sensor - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor, allows ECU to adjust Air Fuel Ratio based on density of intake air

•Oxygen Sensor - Measures oxygen content of exhaust gas

•Pressure Atmosphere - or ''PA'' or ''Barometric Pressure Sensor'' measures atmospheric pressure.

•Tps Sensor - Throttle Position Sensor

•Vehicle Speed Sensor - or ''VSS'' measures how fast axles are turning

•Idle Air Control Valve / Electronic Air Control Vale - Or ''IAC/EACV'' Helps control idle

Optional sensors:

•Electrical Load Detector - or ''ELD'' present in most US cars to measure how much electrical load there is

•Knock Sensor - A microphone-like device to listen for Pre Ignition, or knocking in DOHC Vtec motors.

•Pa Sensor - Atmospheric Pressure sensor

Tuning EFI is making the fuel map. Finally the ECU calculate the pulse-width, the time period, which on-off the petrol injector to maintain 14.5:1(idial) air fuel ratio( it can change to obtained max torque etc). This is doing by internal control software like PID controller. Due to non-linear behavior of the engine, we cannot fixed the single set-point for all RPM hence open loop set-points can be set for intervals of RPM (1000,1050, ……,4000) where the engine model can be assumed as linear for particular interval and intermediate is calculation by interpolation.

If you think the ECU can find the correct injector pulse-width by it self (I believe it is possible with modern control systems like neural network)I suggest to run the engine for certain time with intervals of RPM like 500,1000,1500………. So that it can fined more accurate fuel map otherwise it will interpolate to find next value from what ever the far RPMs you tuned.

How ever, on my experience with different machines, definitely the ECU will be taken wrong decision, if the sensors are not OK. So best thing is to re-calibrate or put all the sensors specially. Oxygen, temperature and pressure (analogue sensors) and do the tuning.

Refer following web http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/EcuSensors

Regards,

Ruwan

But Zackie is probably everybody's choice for most jap cars since a lot of people know him, and hear nothing but good things about him

Hi Don,

does Zakie carry out normal(not performance) tune ups as well? i thought he was only carrying out performance tuning..

thanks.

:jumping-smiley-013: THanks ressional auwan..thats a lot of pro.specs..have u heard of this guy Mr.Dhammika Fernando at Borella he is a bit famous?How is he? Anybody heard of him? I heard he does a lot of domestic cars not performance cars. We are talking about 1.3/1.5/1.6L domestic cars not tunnin turbo charged subarus & evo's

Hi Don,

does Zakie carry out normal(not performance) tune ups as well? i thought he was only carrying out performance tuning..

thanks.

I don't really know for sure GearHead but I think he does all automotive repairs but his specialization is ECU and electronics, and all things Honda

I can tell of another person who is probably equally as good if not better, but his prices are quite steep, and I would not like to mentions his name as he is a well respected person, and I hate to take anything away from him,

Regards,

The Don

Edited by The Don

:jumping-smiley-013: THanks ressional auwan..thats a lot of pro.specs..have u heard of this guy Mr.Dhammika Fernando at Borella he is a bit famous?How is he? Anybody heard of him? I heard he does a lot of domestic cars not performance cars. We are talking about 1.3/1.5/1.6L domestic cars not tunnin turbo charged subarus & evo's

Mr.Dammika is a popular carb tuner.As fas i i know he is the only one who uses an O2 sensor when tuning a carb.most of the mechanics tend to tune(adjust air to fuel ratio) carbs by listening to the sound of the engine,etc which isnt the correct way of doing it.I have taken several cars to his place and have never experienced any probrem at all.

But i am not sure whether he tunes EFi cars..whats your email addy? if you want i can send his phone number so that you can contact him and get more info..

What our friend here has achieved to do is

1. reset the ecu by removing the battery wires for an extended period

2. got the ecu to learn tolerances for its sensors by running the car in the way he mentions

Now this is NOT a proper tune up, it is true modern cars do not have as many adjustable parameters as most are now automatically controlled by the ECU and thus a tuneup takes the form of a diagnostic session with a bit of performance tweaking

Things like ignition timing, idle speed etc can still be adjusted manually by skilled mechanics, and also plugging the car in to a diagnostic computer would help identify any problems with the all important sensors in the car,

because the car cannot properly tune itself if the sensors aren't working properly,

What Mag City has become is quite a shame, they have a lot of good diagnostic equipment, but the people there lack the skill and experience to use them properly. They have twice mis diagnosed problems in my car and cost me money in the process so i will never advice anybody to take a car there. Even Macro is slightly better than them. (They messed up the carburettor in my previous car but they have been spot on with their diagnosis up to now, the owner of that place is a very experienced auto engineer)

So by doing this do i have to reprogrammed my remote key again... (If i removed the Battery Terminals)

So by doing this do i have to reprogrammed my remote key again... (If i removed the Battery Terminals)

That is a possibility, but from what i know its quite a simple procedure

GearHead

My email address is abeetha AT yahoo DOT com, but quite honestly I think Zackie is a better choice, simply because of the reviews he receives on this forum. But this other gentleman once solved a problem in my car that nobody else was able to identify.

That is a possibility, but from what i know its quite a simple procedure

GearHead

My email address is abeetha AT yahoo DOT com, but quite honestly I think Zackie is a better choice, simply because of the reviews he receives on this forum. But this other gentleman once solved a problem in my car that nobody else was able to identify.

thanks for the support Don..his website has all the info that i wanted to know.so deffa would go to him for the next tuneup..thanks again for the support..