• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Differences Between Auto And Manual

BAnuradha

Dear All

What are the differences between auto and manual gear systems?

1. Performance

2. Engine durability

3. fuel efficiency

when the auto came to SL in very first time I can remember some people change there gear box to manual. But why now a days most of the cars with auto. Any idea ….!!!! :unsure:

Thanks

Performance - Manual Cannot be beaten

Fuel Efficiency - Still the Manual Cannot be beaten

but now a days the cars are coming with VVT-I engines and there is nothing to be worried about the fuel efficiency, same goes to the Performance but i doubt it could run with a Manual, there are few Manual VVT-I which i am known and they get gr8 fuel figures :)

Performance - Manual Cannot be beaten

Fuel Efficiency - Still the Manual Cannot be beaten

but now a days the cars are coming with VVT-I engines and there is nothing to be worried about the fuel efficiency, same goes to the Performance but i doubt it could run with a Manual, there are few Manual VVT-I which i am known and they get gr8 fuel figures :)

Well I know a few guys who own manual Vios (VVT-I) and they claim outrageous fuel consumption figures of over 17-18 Km/l outstation on their manual Vios, while the auto counterparts are recording a very "meager" 14-15 km/l. (highly unfair, if you ask me!, they should be made to pay an extra tax or something!)

Initially when auto gears came to SL many didn't like it since it was a bit heavy on fuel & the driver was not able to control the gear change accoding to his own taste. With the recent developments in technology (Ex - VVTi) paving the way for increased fuel economy in auto gear cars & heavy traffic congession many prefer to use auto gears.

But however a driving enthusiast will always stick to Manual!

Initially when auto gears came to SL many didn't like it since it was a bit heavy on fuel & the driver was not able to control the gear change accoding to his own taste. With the recent developments in technology (Ex - VVTi) paving the way for increased fuel economy in auto gear cars & heavy traffic congession many prefer to use auto gears.

But however a driving enthusiast will always stick to Manual!

anybody knows Suzuki swift japn 2004 model have this VVTi technology???? :rolleyes:

VVT-i

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

VVT-i, or Variable Valve Timing with intelligence, is an automobile variable valve timing technology developed by Toyota, similar to the i-VTEC technology by Honda. The Toyota VVT-i system replaces the Toyota VVT offered starting in 1991 on the 4A-GE 20-Valve engine. The VVT system is a 2-stage hydraulically controlled cam phasing system.

VVT-i, introduced in 1996, varies the timing of the intake valves by adjusting the relationship between the camshaft drive (belt, scissor-gear or chain) and intake camshaft. Engine oil pressure is applied to an actuator to adjust the camshaft position. In 1998, "Dual" VVT-i (adjusts both intake and exhaust camshafts) was first introduced in the RS200 Altezza's 3S-GE engine. Dual VVT-i is also found in Toyota's new generation V6 engine, the 3.5L 2GR-FE V6. This engine can be found in the Avalon, RAV4, and Camry in the US, the Aurion in Australia, and various models in Japan, including the Estima. Dual VVT-i is also used in the Toyota Corola (1,6 dual VVT-i 124bhp). Other Dual VVT-i engines include the upcoming 1.8L 2ZR-FE I4, which will see implementation in Toyota's next generation of compact vehicles. By adjusting the valve timing, engine start and stop occur virtually unnoticeable at minimum compression, and fast heating of the catalytic converter to its light-off temperature is possible, thereby reducing HC emissions considerably.

Video animation of VVT-i (courtesy of PT. Toyota Astra Motor, Indonesia) can be found here [1].

[edit] VVTL-i

In 1998, Toyota started offering a new technology, VVTL-i, which can alter valve lift (and duration) as well as valve timing. In the case of the 16 valve 2ZZ-GE, the engine has 2 camshafts, one operating intake valves and one operating exhaust valves. Each camshaft has two lobes per cylinder, one low rpm lobe and one high rpm, high lift, long duration lobe. Each cylinder has two intake valves and two exhaust valves. Each set of two valves are controlled by one rocker arm, which is operated by the camshaft. Each rocker arm has a slipper follower mounted to the rocker arm with a spring, allowing the slipper follower to move up and down with the high lobe with out affecting the rocker arm. When the engine is operating below 6000 rpm, the low lobe is operating the rocker arm and thus the valves. When the engine is operating above 6000 rpm, the ECU activates an oil pressure switch which pushes a sliding pin under the slipper follower on each rocker arm. This in effect, switches to the high lobe causing high lift and longer duration.

Toyota has now ceased production of its VVTL-i engines for most markets, because the engine does not meet Euro IV specifications for emissions. As a result, some Toyota models have been discontinued, including the Corolla T-Sport (Europe), Corolla Sportivo (Australia), Celica, Corolla XRS, Toyota Matrix XRS, and the Pontiac Vibe GT, all of which had the 2ZZ-GE engine fitted.

[edit] See also

Variable valve timing

Lexus VVT-iE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVT-i