• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lookin 2 Buy A Vios <urgent>

GuruG

I bought an unregistered Vios, Gold color, lipkit, driving lights, auto transmission, fabric seats, E grade, mileage 34K for 26.5 lakhs six months ago. I'm not happy with the fuel consumption in traffic - about 10Kmpl. But it does about 16.5 Kmpl on outstation long trips. This is after a full tuneup, replacement of plugs, fuel & air filters, and throttle body & airflow sensor cleaning :(

Az

Whoa dude how much the tune up cost u? 10kmpl is not that good. I heard axela do more than that.

Whoa dude how much the tune up cost u? 10kmpl is not that good. I heard axela do more than that.

Well, soon after purchasing the car I did a full service (Engine/ATF/Brake oil change, spark plug replacement, injector cleaning and full detailing etc.) at Kleenpark. This cost me 28K. Then a tuneup at Toyota lanka cost me Rs. 2500. I also replaced the fuel filter which costs Rs 8200. Still, not much improvement in fuel economy :(

The funny thing is that the service advisors at Toyota Lanka said that 7-8Kmpl in Colombo is the expected fuel economy of the Vios!! Anybody wants to comment on that? :)

i'm quite happy with the economy on the vios... but i've heard a friend saying that he gets 12 per litre..a lot of it depends on your driving style too

Not to mention what time and where about you drive. And how much effort it takes to park the car. (by which I mean if you spend a lot of time going back and forth trying to get into a tight spot in a small garage.)

Well, soon after purchasing the car I did a full service (Engine/ATF/Brake oil change, spark plug replacement, injector cleaning and full detailing etc.) at Kleenpark. This cost me 28K. Then a tuneup at Toyota lanka cost me Rs. 2500. I also replaced the fuel filter which costs Rs 8200. Still, not much improvement in fuel economy :(

The funny thing is that the service advisors at Toyota Lanka said that 7-8Kmpl in Colombo is the expected fuel economy of the Vios!! Anybody wants to comment on that? :)

Your fuel economy depends on how much control you have over your right foot. Even driving a manual will give you crappy consumption if you rev it and overtaking does not necessarily mean you have to down-shift, especially in SL roads.

The general rule of thumb for manuals is that, if the engine is not lugging, you are in the correct rpm for that gear. Which is usually around 1500. So you can up-shift at this point for economy. If you want thrills you can up-shift at the 'sweet spots', around 4000rpm for torque and near red-line for power etc. depending on your vehicle spec.

I have heard that auto gear cars decide when to shift based on how hard and quickly you step on the gas pedal. If you have a heavy right foot, the car will assume you want power and torque. But if you are gentle with the peddle (as if you have an egg under it), the car will assume you are cruising and shift up accordingly.

I have heard that auto gear cars decide when to shift based on how hard and quickly you step on the gas pedal. If you have a heavy right foot, the car will assume you want power and torque. But if you are gentle with the peddle (as if you have an egg under it), the car will assume you are cruising and shift up accordingly.

thats true....

yep..spot on..i've tested this on my auto, on an open road just to make sure...(you obviously need a tachometer for this) when i press hard, i notice that the rpm goes to around 3500 before it shifts up. (even more if i really press down) and when i'm gentle on it, it shift around the 2000 rpm mark....

I bought an unregistered Vios, Gold color, lipkit, driving lights, auto transmission, fabric seats, E grade, mileage 34K for 26.5 lakhs six months ago. I'm not happy with the fuel consumption in traffic - about 10Kmpl. But it does about 16.5 Kmpl on outstation long trips. This is after a full tuneup, replacement of plugs, fuel & air filters, and throttle body & airflow sensor cleaning :(

Az

the fact that the car does 16.5 something in outstation conditions goes to show that there;s absolutely nothing wrong with your car.....dont spend anything else trying to improve...its already quite good...just work on your driving style in traffic conds.

the fact that the car does 16.5 something in outstation conditions goes to show that there;s absolutely nothing wrong with your car.....dont spend anything else trying to improve...its already quite good...just work on your driving style in traffic conds.

Thanks machang for the advice. I think the problem is in my driving style :( Will keeping the RPM below 2000 help?

Thanks machang for the advice. I think the problem is in my driving style :( Will keeping the RPM below 2000 help?

Yes. Accelerate gradually in traffic 'cause you are not getting anywhere fast either way :D

One of my friend said that it is difficult to drive vios @ Rainy cold conditions due to mist because there is no windscreen heaters (Ac outlets) .Is it true?

There does not need to be Windscreen Outlets for the Air Conditioning system to remove moisture in the cabin and thus prevent misting (because as a side effect of cooling it also reduces the humidity inside the cabin and the lack of misting is caused by that not by cold air hitting the windscreen) . It is more likely the air conditioning does not work properly !

• 1 month later...

I had the same situation late last year. Decided to get a Vios and checked out about 17 vehicles at many dealers in and around Nugegoda. Most had about 15000-35000km on the ODO. Since I was going to put a lot of money (for me) down for this thing I checked each vehicle out completely and found excessive where and tear on vehicles with only 15000km-30000km. From the looks of the wearing it seems like the vehicle must have done in excess of 60000km. I found the same situation repeated in many dealers with vehicles seemingly showing excessive wear for whats on the ODO. To satisfy my curiosity I went to this guy who turns the meter. He said that any vehicle can be turned digital or manual ODO. Found an S grade at autozone holdings in Nugegoda. The vehicle had done 66187km but it showed less wear and tear than some of the under 30000km cars. You have to be careful because some of these cars are beat up taxis that these guys pickup for cheap and turn the ODO. Got the vehicle just before the last duty increase for 27laks. Now the dealer says the average for an unreg S grade is 3.1mil. By the way do any of you guys known where the AC filter is located in the Vios assuming it has one?

Edited by Daforce

I had the same situation late last year. Decided to get a Vios and checked out about 17 vehicles at many dealers in and around Nugegoda. Most had about 15000-35000km on the ODO. Since I was going to put a lot of money (for me) down for this thing I checked each vehicle out completely and found excessive where and tear on vehicles with only 15000km-30000km. From the looks of the wearing it seems like the vehicle must have done in excess of 60000km. I found the same situation repeated in many dealers with vehicles seemingly showing excessive wear for whats on the ODO. To satisfy my curiosity I went to this guy who turns the meter. He said that any vehicle can be turned digital or manual ODO. Found an S grade at autozone holdings in Nugegoda. The vehicle had done 66187km but it showed less wear and tear than some of the under 30000km cars. You have to be careful because some of these cars are beat up taxis that these guys pickup for cheap and turn the ODO. Got the vehicle just before the last duty increase for 27laks. Now the dealer says the average for an unreg S grade is 3.1mil. By the way do any of you guys known where the AC filter is located in the Vios assuming it has one?

got an E grade in Early 2006 for 20 lakhs @ the same place ODO was 38,677. Only now it has reached 55k :P