• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ban On Motor Car Imports

xXx

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BEST PLACES TO MIGRATE FROM SRI LANKA

MY NEXT OPTIONS IF SRI LANKA GETS REALLY BAD

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

PANAMA

COST RICA

VENEZUELLA

GUEATAMALA

HONDURAS

NICARAGUA

landroverhu2.jpg

Vehicles are pretty cheap in the Above Countries + Super Beaches + 1 + 4X4 activites + Loads of Cheap Evos and Subies too

and Some Hot Women !!!!

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

PANAMA

COST RICA

VENEZUELLA

GUEATAMALA

HONDURAS

NICARAGUA

landroverhu2.jpg

Vehicles are pretty cheap in the Above Countries + Super Beaches + 1 + 4X4 activites + Loads of Cheap Evos and Subies too

and Some Hot Women !!!!

Exactly...... What more can u ask for..... :rolleyes: Tried to go to Figi for a job but did'nt work out.... <_<

Just looking at the Pic makes u wanna go there in an instant

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

PANAMA

COST RICA

VENEZUELLA

GUEATAMALA

HONDURAS

NICARAGUA

landroverhu2.jpg

and Some Hot Women !!!!

the best Idea i've heard in quite awhile. :)

instead of banning imports government must give some incentives for people to scrap there old vehicles(consume more fuel than new ones) and to buy fuel economical new vehicles. that's the way most european countries do.it's help for the better environment

instead of banning imports government must give some incentives for people to scrap there old vehicles(consume more fuel than new ones) and to buy fuel economical new vehicles. that's the way most european countries do.it's help for the better environment

The newer vehicles might be greener and cleaner in terms of emmissions but most normal cars from the 60's , 70's and 80's are far more frugal than thier modern successors

I'm guessing an the outflow of forex to import new vehicles for all and sundry will offset any savings in the form of fuel directly...

Your suggestion is possibly how things "should" be done , but sadly in our "Land like no other" it just isn't the case :(

[Renton De Alwis was genuis for coming up with that line : Sri Lanka ~ A Land Like No Other ] :lol:

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

PANAMA

COST RICA

VENEZUELLA

GUEATAMALA

HONDURAS

NICARAGUA

landroverhu2.jpg

and Some Hot Women !!!!

Hear Hear !!

But watch out for the drug barons and violent crime !

The newer vehicles might be greener and cleaner in terms of emmissions but most normal cars from the 60's , 70's and 80's are far more frugal than thier modern successors

I'm guessing an the outflow of forex to import new vehicles for all and sundry will offset any savings in the form of fuel directly...

Your suggestion is possibly how things "should" be done , but sadly in our "Land like no other" it just isn't the case :(

[Renton De Alwis was genuis for coming up with that line : Sri Lanka ~ A Land Like No Other ] :lol:

I think the problem is basically one of FOREX as you so rightly put.

Sri Lanka would be in complete shambles if not for our foreign work force and their remittances which has allowed us to import a lot more than we export.

But even that does not seem to be adequate anymore, plus there are a lot of people who are now migrating rather than working away and sending money back to Sri Lanka so the situation progressively gets worse. Not only are we suffering unbearable levels of brain drain (which might explain some of the idiotic thinking and decision making we have all become familiar with) but due to years of over reliance on imports, lack of national policy there is a serious problem of a lack of foreign exchange to even buy essential goods slowly dawning in the horizon.

Couple of years ago the government took a gamble and printed a lot of new money hoping long term thanks to our foreign work force the impact will be cushioned out but obviously all is not well as shown by extremely high inflation etc.

The situation as it stands is simply unsustainable in its current state. We either need to export more or produce more things locally !.

A ban on car imports may seem to solve the issue with FOREX short term, but in reality would offset a lot of the benefit by contributing to inflation which would propagate to other parts of the economy. Its also bound to hit investor confidence, and is completely against "open market economy principles" which is the basis in which we are trying to attract foreign investments.

well all you need to do is sit ON the Bull machan! - Instant~Fresh Leather!!!!!!! :lol:

True...

if you don;t mind the fleas creeping up your assets.. :lol: and with a bit of R&D our guys will find a way to turbo charge the bull... :lol:

Couple of years ago the government took a gamble and printed a lot of new money hoping long term thanks to our foreign work force the impact will be cushioned out but obviously all is not well as shown by extremely high inflation etc.

Just to elaborate a bit on that, government never took a gamble it was nothing but a pathetic attempt to stay in the power.

Things started to go all wrong back in 2004 when PA formed a pact with JVP to seize the power from the ruling UNP which they succeeded. It was JVP’s idea to print money to protect the common man from tax burden (but they did end up jacking the import duty on the very first budget). Then ofcource two years later ‘maha kalu singhalaya’ came to power and we all know what happened afterwards.

If you remember back in late 90’s growth of the economy actually hit a negative figure for the first time in history but people didn’t face the amount of hardships they are facing now back then. I think that itself is a sign how badly the economy has deteriorated.

As Mr. Wicky recently said unfortunately in SL you can’t do politics by telling the truth or doing the right thing. Remember when UNP came to power in 2002 (or was it in 2001?) they came up with a price formula that adjusted the price of gasoline in a weekly basis. If who ever in power stick to this formula there wouldn’t have been such a steep hike. But the some thought the government is barking mad to adjust the price so frequently. Like wise theoretically, the central bank should increase the benchmark interest rate inroder to curb the inflation. But since the government want to show some fancy economic growth figures it has been kept at the current rate of 10.5% for almost two year now.

About closing an economy which has been open for almost 4 decades, we do need to cut down the amount of imports there’s no questions about it. But you can’t completely shut a gate that has been open for so long. There should be some sort of control. Maybe start with some sort of a quota system. So that there won’t be any shortages in the market while give the local industries a fair chance in competing against foreign competitors.

Just to elaborate a bit on that, government never took a gamble it was nothing but a pathetic attempt to stay in the power.

Things started to go all wrong back in 2004 when PA formed a pact with JVP to seize the power from the ruling UNP which they succeeded. It was JVP’s idea to print money to protect the common man from tax burden (but they did end up jacking the import duty on the very first budget). Then ofcource two years later ‘maha kalu singhalaya’ came to power and we all know what happened afterwards.

If you remember back in late 90’s growth of the economy actually hit a negative figure for the first time in history but people didn’t face the amount of hardships they are facing now back then. I think that itself is a sign how badly the economy has deteriorated.

As Mr. Wicky recently said unfortunately in SL you can’t do politics by telling the truth or doing the right thing. Remember when UNP came to power in 2002 (or was it in 2001?) they came up with a price formula that adjusted the price of gasoline in a weekly basis. If who ever in power stick to this formula there wouldn’t have been such a steep hike. But the some thought the government is barking mad to adjust the price so frequently. Like wise theoretically, the central bank should increase the benchmark interest rate inroder to curb the inflation. But since the government want to show some fancy economic growth figures it has been kept at the current rate of 10.5% for almost two year now.

About closing an economy which has been open for almost 4 decades, we do need to cut down the amount of imports there’s no questions about it. But you can’t completely shut a gate that has been open for so long. There should be some sort of control. Maybe start with some sort of a quota system. So that there won’t be any shortages in the market while give the local industries a fair chance in competing against foreign competitors.

I guess xXx you might also have heard about how some of the food crisis came about. The food importation body in SL is quite a powerful one politically and they have systematically lobbied successive governments in to curbing the growth of local industry and increasing imports. This is especially clear in the milk food industry where from possible self sufficiency 2 decades or so back we now find ourselves short of thousands of milk cows and highly reliant on milk power imports, and at least on this occasion having a national policy and the intentional withdrawal of support to the milk farmer has meant, milk is now slowly becoming a luxury beyond their affordability for people with a modest income. Now this issue I know of cos I read a article on the matter, but might be true of other industries as well ! I mean look at the amount of cultivatable land which is being wasting away while the world is in the middle of a food crisis !

The UN has called this the silent tsunami !!

I guess xXx you might also have heard about how some of the food crisis came about. The food importation body in SL is quite a powerful one politically and they have systematically lobbied successive governments in to curbing the growth of local industry and increasing imports. This is especially clear in the milk food industry where from possible self sufficiency 2 decades or so back we now find ourselves short of thousands of milk cows and highly reliant on milk power imports, and at least on this occasion having a national policy and the intentional withdrawal of support to the milk farmer has meant, milk is now slowly becoming a luxury beyond their affordability for people with a modest income. Now this issue I know of cos I read a article on the matter, but might be true of other industries as well ! I mean look at the amount of cultivatable land which is being wasting away while the world is in the middle of a food crisis !

The UN has called this the silent tsunami !!

Muchung, Milk is not a luxury! But its a SUPER LUXURY! Talking about milk ...I'll tell you guys how much it is! My daughter is just 7months old..and the docs recommend SMA-2(Gold Edition) which a can of 400grms is Rs:900/=. Well she consumes 7 cans for a month! Rs:5400/= only for milk powder take that! Do you think a government servant could afford this! Bloody Bxxx Sxxx! All of it! And the other infant milk powder competitive brands are also a little less than that but all brands I think are more than Rs:750 bucks per can.

:violent-smiley-099:

Muchung, Milk is not a luxury! But its a SUPER LUXURY! Talking about milk ...I'll tell you guys how much it is! My daughter is just 7months old..and the docs recommend SMA-2(Gold Edition) which a can of 400grms is Rs:900/=. Well she consumes 7 cans for a month! Rs:5400/= only for milk powder take that! Do you think a government servant could afford this! Bloody Bxxx Sxxx! All of it! And the other infant milk powder competitive brands are also a little less than that but all brands I think are more than Rs:750 bucks per can.

Hey lighten up dude. A 400g can of infant milk powder (formula- as it's know in this part of the world) is about $20 here in the US!

Hey lighten up dude. A 400g can of infant milk powder (formula- as it's know in this part of the world) is about $20 here in the US!

yep but we don't earn in US$ now do we :P