• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ban On Motor Car Imports

xXx

Just heard through a friend that chinthanaya is planning to ban import of motor vehicles for at least a year as an answer to the current energy and FX crisis. Any truth in this???

Knowing what the beast is capable of I for one won't be surprised if this rule comes to effect from tomorrow. Read in an article last week that chinthanaya has formed a committee (god knows who's in it) to search for a possible resolution for the energy issue. Since our people are always good in taking the shorter route two obvious outcomes will be to either control the use of motor vehicles or to introduce some sort of a rationing on fuel

And in the mean time Mihini is to spread its wings again. Earlier only politicos during election times came up with false promises and propaganda now things have sunk to a new low even heads of government institutions are following their superiors path. One who masterminded Mihini is saying the airline can breakeven by the end of this year. I wonder who crunched the numbers to come up with an absurd forecasting like that.

http://www.lankaenews.com/English/news.php?id=5911

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dunno about that machan, but i did notice something in the Sunday Times about the Ministry of Education contemplating having a FOUR day school week , so as to save fuel & keep down transport costs :mellow:

hahahaa! ok, a few school van-owners will love this, though i'm sure these van owners will end up running other hires on the extra holiday, so in the end i dont see that much of a saving...

and the quality of education is bound to go down with this.. i remember we wonce extended school hours by one hour because some schools got longer april/august holidays due to paper marking. this meant each period would be extended by 5 minutes. I dont know how much school-kids have changed now, but if they are anything like what we were, it aint gonna walk... and some teachers are gonna be pretty upset about it too cos its gonnan cut into their tuition time...

while we're at it why dont we close schools and start home schooling or tuition-schooling.. it'll save the government not just fule but electricity and salaries also :P not to mention the prime land they'll now have that they can rent/lease out... :D dam i should be in the finance ministry, shouldn't I?

why cant our guys do some research regarding Ethanol Fuel. its good move i guess. on some Sunday newspaper saw some article regarding that.

i was watching this old episode of top-gear today (thanks to Dev_Z) and and it had a segment where they mixed a little bit (3ml to 97ml) of some chemical (i forget what) with vegetable /cooking oil and it ran a diesel engine... i was pretty shocked... we're talking ZERO petroleum... and if i'm not mistaken it costs WAYY less than diesel 29p.. and the production seems so simple... anyone wanna try and let the rest of us diesel drivers know of its results :) hehehehee!

i was watching this old episode of top-gear today (thanks to Dev_Z) and and it had a segment where they mixed a little bit (3ml to 97ml) of some chemical (i forget what) with vegetable /cooking oil and it ran a diesel engine... i was pretty shocked... we're talking ZERO petroleum... and if i'm not mistaken it costs WAYY less than diesel 29p.. and the production seems so simple... anyone wanna try and let the rest of us diesel drivers know of its results :) hehehehee!

You can run on pure vegetable oil or used cooking oil with some additives, but your engine wont last long. BUT if you use proper refining techniques to make biodiesel (just google it, theres tons of info on it) it can work well SOME engines, esp the older Mercs and Volvos.

There are a couple of on going projects to find the feasibility of biodiesel (probably ethanol a well). Especially an 'oil plant' to make biodiesel - which can be used in blends with diesel (usually 20% biodiesel and 80% Diesel fuel).

We did a project last year and made some BD using cooking oil and pure coconut oil [a total chemisty affair as we've got to add methonol and KOH/NaOH, and a whole lot more if you want to get it right...] Anyways, mixed upto 20% coconut based biodiesel with diesel and ran an oil charade 3-cyl engine. Pretty much ran well - just had to adjust the ignition timing. Cost wise, we couldn't just get it to be feasible - anyways, car warranties cover just up to 5% biodiesel and thats fuel up to the EN14214 standard....

But don't just mixed biodiesel with diesel and run on it! Read about it first - coz you'll have to change some rubber hoses and seals as the biodiesel degrades rubber...

Thats just my two cents on the matter (don't know much about bioethanol expect that its said to increase power by 20% and torque by 10% - google 'Saab bio power' or flex fuel...

Try these links about the biodiesel -

http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/fuelfac...ts/default.shtm

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfue...b_biodiesel.pdf

Just heard through a friend that chinthanaya is planning to ban import of motor vehicles for at least a year as an answer to the current energy and FX crisis. Any truth in this???

Knowing what the beast is capable of I for one won't be surprised if this rule comes to effect from tomorrow. Read in an article last week that chinthanaya has formed a committee (god knows who's in it) to search for a possible resolution for the energy issue. Since our people are always good in taking the shorter route two obvious outcomes will be to either control the use of motor vehicles or to introduce some sort of a rationing on fuel

And in the mean time Mihini is to spread its wings again. Earlier only politicos during election times came up with false promises and propaganda now things have sunk to a new low even heads of government institutions are following their superiors path. One who masterminded Mihini is saying the airline can breakeven by the end of this year. I wonder who crunched the numbers to come up with an absurd forecasting like that.

http://www.lankaenews.com/English/news.php?id=5911

Of course. It makes sense. All the ministers should have got their new permit vehicles by now. No problem, lets ban the motor cars now :rolleyes:

It seems to be true. I got this news from some of my friends who still has that special vehicle permit. They also going to loose if this happens, according to my knowledge they are going to take the decision on this Wednesday.

:violent-smiley-030:

why cant our guys do some research regarding Ethanol Fuel. its good move i guess. on some Sunday newspaper saw some article regarding that.

hmmm Ethanol has its own problems...

The use of Corn and other crops to produce Ethanol has resulted in an increase in certain food prices in the states - its long story and has much to do with the subsidies given by governments elsewhere to those who produce ethanol and that being larger than those given to those for food , as such farmers are shifting to the more profitable alternative :unsure: or something to that effect

Then there is the actual release of carbons in the processing of Ethanlo which makes the fuel not as clean as people make it out to be...

Also there is increased consumption in certain vehicles when running E20 bio-ethanol...

and don't forget its a blend of Ethanol & Gasoline - not pure ethanol thats being used up... :mellow:

i think it was plain spirit that they added to thin the vege oil a bit... :unsure:

i already though this up many months ago before all this happened - Fifthgear did a feature on this contraption called a Fuel Pod and it got me thinking...

http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?s...amp;#entry63062

looking for investors - we can pool money & get the machine :lol:

dunno about that machan, but i did notice something in the Sunday Times about the Ministry of Education contemplating having a FOUR day school week , so as to save fuel & keep down transport costs :mellow:

darn how dare they try to ruin the education of the next generation :action-smiley-060:

hmmm Ethanol has its own problems...

The use of Corn and other crops to produce Ethanol has resulted in an increase in certain food prices in the states - its long story and has much to do with the subsidies given by governments elsewhere to those who produce ethanol and that being larger than those given to those for food , as such farmers are shifting to the more profitable alternative :unsure: or something to that effect

Then there is the actual release of carbons in the processing of Ethanlo which makes the fuel not as clean as people make it out to be...

Also there is increased consumption in certain vehicles when running E20 bio-ethanol...

and don't forget its a blend of Ethanol & Gasoline - not pure ethanol thats being used up... :mellow:

I agree, bio fuel turned out to be just another gimmick hyped up by the whole go green mania. Other than not been too environment friendly process involved in extracting bio fuel has had serious repercussions on the world commodity prices. UNICEF and few other major aid organizations have dubbed it the ‘Silent Tsunami’.

Now back to the topic at hand, if the ban to be imposed what’s the best way of tackling it? Buy an unreg car and keep it unreg for few months and sell it when the price hit sky high or hold on to what you have now with your dear life and save bit of money and buy something when the ban is lifted?

Never in my life I thought I’ll actually suggest buying an ordinary vehicle as a future investment. What is this country coming to??????

just because they're dumb ass's, this is a sick and sad way to make the nex gen of sri lankans stupider than them

Sad to see it but that’s the only way they (Politicos) can ensure their survival…The stupider people get the easier it is to fool them…..

We already got a brain drain going with most skilled & qualified people leaving the country…..

After all Mr. Chinthanya has secured their children’s future and earned for the next 10 generations just like Mrs. CB

at last they took right decision ..(god know how they got it, might have some other cunny thoughts )

yes we should limits the permits.. :action-smiley-060:

cos right ppl does not get permits .we in PVT sector we pay hell lot of taxe n duties. but never get permits .

but ppl who does nt pay taxe get Permits in sri lanka . shitttt , ppl wrk 9am-4am, strikers,thugs get permits :angry-smiley-024:

:angry-smiley-048:

srilanka is going to become another cuba :unsure:

Actually it’s going to be a hybrid between Zimbabwe and Somalia. Lead by a headless dictator with a never ending civil war.

Cuba is rather doing well, if you take into account the fact that the regime is isolated by the west for a certain extend.

And once you sell it your gonna go around in a bullock cart?

The way things are going not sure whether bull's would take it either!

:angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048:

Edited by priya

Bullock Cart with 30Inch Chrom Rims, Hard Top with a Sun Roof, Auto AC, Leather Interior lol

Gosh..then the fxxxxxx cops would stop the modified bullock carts as well! They couldnt anyway stand the modifies cars!

Edited by priya