• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pc Upgrade

AMG

Bharath, this is a very strange problem you have. I have a few questions

1. Do they work fine as soon as you've copied them over ?

2. The files that get corrupted, do they only get corrupted on the hard disk and not the flash disc ?

Can I ask you to try a few things.

1. Can you email me a corrupt pic and a normal version of the same pic to abeetha [at] yahoo [dot] com so that I can have a look at the corrupt pic

2. Make sure your virus scan is up to date and run a virus scan. including on the flash cards

3. Turn off thumb nails on the folder with the pics

To be honest its very unlikely this is a hardware fault if the pics arrive fine in your PC and gets corrupted later on. It is most likely a software problem some where.

Also, if you want to know whether the file is corrupted, you can use the MD5 checksum calculation utility. It is a part of most Linux distributions, but you should be able to find a one for Windows if you Google. Compare the checksum of both the good and distorted file.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks dude. Like I said, I gave it in this morning, so yet to hear what they have to say.If they replace the CPU under warranty, I'm not complaining :D As long as they don't screw with my data, all my photos are on that machine!

But if its still running hot after I get it back, I'll look into doing what you've said.

you could be having a Fan RMP issue

Hmm, forgot about this. Update, still running hot. Normal running is about 65-67. When the usage percentage goes up (games and image editing) goes to about a max of 71. fan speed increases to keep it around 70-71 when things are running heavy. RPM is variable.

Hmm, forgot about this. Update, still running hot. Normal running is about 65-67. When the usage percentage goes up (games and image editing) goes to about a max of 71. fan speed increases to keep it around 70-71 when things are running heavy. RPM is variable.

65-67 is extremely hot, while 71 is well over thermal spec, at that speed, emergency throttling would be functioning to prevent a fire hazard.

can you try the following:

1. take a photo of the inside of the case, showing the cpu fan, etc

2. ensure that the case has good air inflow/outflow - temp inside musn't be much different from outside

3. if you can view the back of the board, you should see the four tiny nibs of the heatsink retainers properly pushed out if the hs is installed right.. if you can, add a pic of that?

4. what is the temp of the heatsink? try touching it (carefully) while hot and see if its very hot to touch. if it is not maybe the cpu isnt contacting properly

5. is the hs fan a good quality one? is it fast?\

the processor you have (pentiumD) is basically two p4 cores together. It uses an extreme amount of energy and runs hot

you might consider upgrading the board+CPU to a pentium dual core/core2duo (both use core 2 technology) - c2d would use a lot less electricity, also release a lot less heat (which would reduce the temp of your room)

the core2 architecture is significantly faster than p4.. in my tests i've found that a core 2 @ 600mhz is faster than a p4 at 3ghz!

I'm not sure of pricing but I guess a new board+cpu would fetch around 12-15k

btw I'm getting rid of my old my PC, so (if its OK with you can I list the specs of the old machine here incase anyone wants to buy it? It's quite a nice machine - core2, 2gb ram etc)

65-67 is extremely hot, while 71 is well over thermal spec, at that speed, emergency throttling would be functioning to prevent a fire hazard.

can you try the following:

1. take a photo of the inside of the case, showing the cpu fan, etc

2. ensure that the case has good air inflow/outflow - temp inside musn't be much different from outside

3. if you can view the back of the board, you should see the four tiny nibs of the heatsink retainers properly pushed out if the hs is installed right.. if you can, add a pic of that?

4. what is the temp of the heatsink? try touching it (carefully) while hot and see if its very hot to touch. if it is not maybe the cpu isnt contacting properly

5. is the hs fan a good quality one? is it fast?\

the processor you have (pentiumD) is basically two p4 cores together. It uses an extreme amount of energy and runs hot

you might consider upgrading the board+CPU to a pentium dual core/core2duo (both use core 2 technology) - c2d would use a lot less electricity, also release a lot less heat (which would reduce the temp of your room)

the core2 architecture is significantly faster than p4.. in my tests i've found that a core 2 @ 600mhz is faster than a p4 at 3ghz!

I'm not sure of pricing but I guess a new board+cpu would fetch around 12-15k

btw I'm getting rid of my old my PC, so (if its OK with you can I list the specs of the old machine here incase anyone wants to buy it? It's quite a nice machine - core2, 2gb ram etc)

Another thing check for any therminal paste on the CPU,

btw C2D is better than the Quard Core, even the Quard Runs DDR3 its only lil bit better than the Core 2 Duo, anyway im wating till intel relese new (Core i7) 8 cores in 1 processor lol

Edited by GihanFX

Another thing check for any therminal paste on the CPU,

btw C2D is better than the Quard Core, even the Quard Runs DDR3 its only lil bit better than the Core 2 Duo, anyway im wating till intel relese new (Core i7) 8 cores in 1 processor lol

thermal paste ;)

Actually my experiments show that a thermal pad is best for pentiumd/core2.

if you cant get one, just buy a whole heatsink with pad.. I think it's thousand something at unity plaza.. get the original intel oem one.. its round shaped with a copper core usually..

thermal paste ;)

Actually my experiments show that a thermal pad is best for pentiumd/core2.

if you cant get one, just buy a whole heatsink with pad.. I think it's thousand something at unity plaza.. get the original intel oem one.. its round shaped with a copper core usually..

ah yeah thats the one, when the time goes the thermal pase move away from the cpu area and they dry, like u said new heatshink will do the job, but i always trust white thermal paste only avilable in pettah, 1st cross street

Today I bought

HP Compaq dx7400 Business PC

HP recommends Windows Vista™ Business PC system features

Chassis Micro tower

Operating system FREE DOS

Chipset Intel® 946GZ Express chipset

Processor* Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Processor

2.20-GHz, 2-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB

Memory 1GB to 4-GB DDR2 DRAM PC5300 (667-MHz)

Hard drive(s) 160-GB Serial ATA 3.0-Gb/x Hard Drive (7200 rpm)

Removable SATA CD-RW/DVD Combo drive

Expansion bays 2 internal 3.5" bays 2 external 5.25" bays and 1 external 3.5" bay

Expansion slots 2 full-height PCI ,1 full-height PCI-E x1, and 1

Graphics Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000

Graphics memory is shared with system memory. Graphics memory usage can vary from 8 to 256 MB depending on the amount of system memory installed and system load

Audio Realtek Integrated High Definition 2-channel audio ALC

Communications Integrated Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet NIC

I/O ports and connectors Eight USB 2.0 ports (two in front, six in back), one serial with second optional, one parallel, one VGA port, two PS/2 ports (mouse and keyboard), one RJ-45 port, one VGA, audio in/out, front headphone and microphone jacks, Dual Color Diagnostic LEDs

Input device HP PS2 Standard keyboard and Standard 2-Button scroll mouse

Power 300-watt passive PFC Power Supply (user selectable 115V/230V)

Monitor 17" CRT Monitor

Warranty Three Years Comprehensive Warranty

66,000/=

Congrats. Any paticular reason 2 buy a branded? :unsure:

Mate this is not good. Best thing to do is to check the temp by replacing the CPU with a same type. Where did u buy ur PC from?

Mate this is not good. Best thing to do is to check the temp by replacing the CPU with a same type. Where did u buy ur PC from?

From an Intel Sri Lanka recommended dealer :)

Nah, don't think its anything wrong with the unit. Its just the way that particular model runs. Shak and I both bought the same thing at the same time from the same place,

From an Intel Sri Lanka recommended dealer :)

Nah, don't think its anything wrong with the unit. Its just the way that particular model runs. Shak and I both bought the same thing at the same time from the same place,

Hmmmm Dual core runin at 65 C at idle.

D945GCR with Dual Core E2140 1.60 idles at 33c.

I also have D945GNT with Intel D 3.4 that idles at 55 C. But this machine is on 24/7.

Good Luck.

Run in an A/C room?

1st one yes

2nd one yes but only till 8-5. Rest of the time its in enclosed room without any ventilation. Still it wont reach 70. As I've mentioned earilier its on 24/7 with 4 HDD's(arround 40 C each).

I also have D945GNT with Intel D 3.4 that idles at 55 C. But this machine is on 24/7.

Good Luck.

All the latest CPU's design with the overcolck capability, so the problem with preveens pc is the stock core tepm is very high, the best option shoud be to fix the processor to another mainboard, maybe shaks board :rolleyes: and check the temp.

And yes from P4 to core 2 quard idle tepm is around 29 to 33 (AC) bit more in non AC, even Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33 GHz overclocked more 500Mhz + ( alomst 4ghz) runs at 29 and 32, so i think preveen should check this issue and if its under warranty do a claim.

Good Luck.

Actually those two machines are fundamentally different. The e2140 is a slightly modified core 2 duo, whereas

the pentiumD is 2 pentium4's glued together. The temperature readings you for these two machines are getting are quite good.

• 2 years later...

MasterDon, ebay has a ton of arctic silver compound in syringe form, you just have to select the seller with the least extortionate S&H charges. A decent heat gun can be bought in Pettah; I'll speak to our resident electronics man and see if I can garner any more details on shop names etc.

MasterDon, ebay has a ton of arctic silver compound in syringe form, you just have to select the seller with the least extortionate S&H charges. A decent heat gun can be bought in Pettah; I'll speak to our resident electronics man and see if I can garner any more details on shop names etc.

thnaks tbt!...would appreciate the extra info very much...attempting to do a DIY job on a YLOD'd ps3.

I found a website that would bring it down for 3600 per syringe...

also would you ask your tech guy where to buy a normal thermal paste and the prices for the heat guns if you could?...LOL...total noob here.

Ebay has syringes for around 2k or so.

Here's one.

As for the hot air guns, I spoke to the electronics man, his response was "pita kotuwe ona kadayaka thiyanne ona". Basically most shops on 1st Cross Street should have them, but the hot air guns he's knowledgeable on are the kind used for soldering electronics (SMDs and what not), so they're pretty pricey @ 10K+. He hasn't come across the general purpose kind, but suggests that you check Robert Agencies and Unitech to begin with.

Ebay has syringes for around 2k or so.

Here's one.

As for the hot air guns, I spoke to the electronics man, his response was "pita kotuwe ona kadayaka thiyanne ona". Basically most shops on 1st Cross Street should have them, but the hot air guns he's knowledgeable on are the kind used for soldering electronics (SMDs and what not), so they're pretty pricey @ 10K+. He hasn't come across the general purpose kind, but suggests that you check Robert Agencies and Unitech to begin with.

Thanks mate...much appreciated.

yeah the heat guns,especially the temp adjustable ones seem to be quite pricey.I'm gonna see if I can borrow it from someone because I only need it for this one job.