• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Octane You Use??

Kim

Octane grade of fuel you are using?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Pls Vote below:

• 95 Oct
    • 90 Oct

Question

• Answers 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Has anyone tried out the Premium Fuel offered by IOC ?

Fuel Station guys said that it's Octain rating is lower than 95 but it has some additives added and also does not have the Dye which is in the std 95 octain petrol. Cost is 160 bucks per litre and a lot of the Petrol SUV guys are pumping it now.

I'm trying my first tank right now - only done about 60km so far so can't comment yet. One thing I noticed is that there is no noticable performance drop or pinking like you get when you switch from 95 to 90.

Has anyone tried out the Premium Fuel offered by IOC ?

Fuel Station guys said that it's Octain rating is lower than 95 but it has some additives added and also does not have the Dye which is in the std 95 octain petrol. Cost is 160 bucks per litre and a lot of the Petrol SUV guys are pumping it now.

I'm trying my first tank right now - only done about 60km so far so can't comment yet. One thing I noticed is that there is no noticable performance drop or pinking like you get when you switch from 95 to 90.

yeah i have tryied it several times, its almost like 95oct but to pump premium i need to go to the shead next to Rathmalna Air port, so i pump that when i only goin that way

yeah i have tryied it several times, its almost like 95oct but to pump premium i need to go to the shead next to Rathmalna Air port, so i pump that when i only goin that way

With my personal experience the IOC Xtra premium sounds more like 90 octane fuel on the both performance and the mileage.

It is actually 91 octane with friction buster. (some detergent to clean the engine)

Edited by Bharath

the Xtra premium sucks big time in terms of performance. However it does run smooth enough to prevent engine knock which you normally get when you pump 90 in a vehicle that needs 95. So I would say that its a decent alternative to 95 in things like SUV's and non sporty cars which dont rev as high as sportier models.

I pump 95Oct. What I have noticed is that it gives a bit lesser mileage and leaves the thin brown layer on the spark plugs, but gives better performance than 90Oct. With 95 Oct there is no engine knocking.

I pump 95Oct. What I have noticed is that it gives a bit lesser mileage and leaves the thin brown layer on the spark plugs, but gives better performance than 90Oct. With 95 Oct there is no engine knocking.

Newbie question here. What exactly is engine knocking? :action-smiley-060:

90 OCT - Better fuel economy, stable, easier to drive around

95 OCT - Better performance, lesser power on low RPMs, have to keep revving

Is this because of ignition timing or something? (D15B Vtec)

hmmm Guys, btw some people say mixing both 90 and 95 time to time is not a good thing for the engine which I had to do a couple of times. Is there any truth?

You know... when you go outstations its hard or some times impossible to find 95.

Hmmm..as i have told a long time back in a earlier page, now the difference is not 3, not 13, but '18' :( having read it once again from d beginning me gonna take Elvis_Pil's advice. any update on the same?

well for 'd GT lik or not that will be 95OCT, lets try d Premium for d Allion. will share d results, feeling it a so waste to spend this much for the difference, when d Aliz spec says that regular fuel will do. :)

Edited by Kim

A friend's company E280 was recommended 90 Oct by D*MO when it was bought 2 years ago. Donno the reason behind it, but it has run without a day's illness and with about as good mileage as you can expect for that car.

And didn't someone post a study that showed our 95 Octane is actually different to the US or Western spec and is actually something like 89?

The difference according to my knowledge is this. you have to refer to your vehicle manufacturer specification. If your manufacturer recommends to use oct 90, then you can use both oct 90 & 95. But if recommends to use oct 95 you can not use oct 90 and it will create knock. I can remember sometime back Honda Civic manufacturer made a paper adverticement saying that if local fuel is used the vehicle may not give good performance because local fuel contain lesser Octane against specified. (At the period only one type of petrol was available).

further,

:ninja: If your engine compression ratio is higher you have to use higher octane.

:ninja: Petrol with higher octane percentage means higher anti knocking properties.

:ninja: Manufacturer specification availble in vehicle Service Manual

The difference according to my knowledge is this. you have to refer to your vehicle manufacturer specification. If your manufacturer recommends to use oct 90, then you can use both oct 90 & 95. But if recommends to use oct 95 you can not use oct 90 and it will create knock. I can remember sometime back Honda Civic manufacturer made a paper adverticement saying that if local fuel is used the vehicle may not give good performance because local fuel contain lesser Octane against specified. (At the period only one type of petrol was available).

further,

:ninja: If your engine compression ratio is higher you have to use higher octane.

:ninja: Petrol with higher octane percentage means higher anti knocking properties.

:ninja: Manufacturer specification availble in vehicle Service Manual