• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vtec Vs Vtec-e

shanX

Hi guys,

Sorry for asking, one of the most answered questions, Honda noob here :P

Could someone tell me how to figure out a Civic EG VTi vs an ETi. Would be helpful if there are any methods not involving 'taking off the engine cover' :D

Are there are any externally visually noticeable differences other than the engine valve head cover? :unsure:

Hi guys,

Sorry for asking, one of the most answered questions, Honda noob here :P

Could someone tell me how to figure out a Civic EG VTi vs an ETi. Would be helpful if there are any methods not involving 'taking off the engine cover' :D

Are there are any externally visually noticeable differences other than the engine valve head cover? :unsure:

VTEC - Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control. At low RPM, a VTEC engine uses a normal cam profile to retain a smooth idle, good fuel economy, and good low-end power delivery. The VTEC mechanism engages a high-lift, long-duration "race" cam profile at a set RPM value (i.e., ~5500RPM on the B16A) to increase high-end power delivery.

VTEC-E - Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control for Efficiency. This system isn't really VTEC as we know it. At low RPM, the VTEC-E mechanism effectively forces the engine to operate as a 12-valve engine - one of the intake valves does not open fully, thus decreasing fuel consumption. At a set RPM value (i.e., ~2500RPM in the D16Y5), the VTEC-E mechanism engages the 2nd intake valve, effectively resuming operation as a normal 16-valve engine. Note: in a VTEC-E engine, there are no high-RPM performance cam profiles; this engine is supposed to be tuned for fuel economy, right?

VTC - Variable Timing Control. This is a mechanism attached to the end of the intake camshaft only which acts as a continuously variable cam gear - it automatically adjusts the overlap between the intake and exhaust cams, effectively allowing the engine to have the most ideal amount of valve overlap in all RPM ranges. VTC is active at all RPMs.

i-VTEC - intelligent Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control. This is a combination of both the VTEC and the VTC technologies - in other words, i-VTEC = VTEC + VTC. Currently, the only engines that use the i-VTEC system are the DOHC K-series engines.

Now this is where things get tricky - Honda uses the term "DOHC i-VTEC" for two different systems: The first system is used in the K20A2 engine of the RSX Type-S. The second system is used in the K20A3 engine of the Civic Si

Source:

I guess you have to depend on what VIN plate says about engine plus the engine cover. but better wait for a Honda expert :rolleyes:

Edited by Ruslan

Yep have seen all that tech info. Anyway am curious abt Civic EG, specially wit D15Bs. I was just wondering, like what IF we are in a engine cover swap scenario :D

Well, thanks for the VIN plate tip, thts smthng worth researching - http://members.lycos.nl/hendrik/honda/vin.htm ;)

Edited by shanX

3 steps mate..look @ the throttle..its smaller n ugly than a vti..(hope u know vtec e go as eti), look @ the meter panel.. rrpm only upto 8...look @ the back seat..its just flt without any head reast or arm rest..if all this been changed..u can chk the tag(eti )..but easyly aprat from all drive it n u will feel the diff... <_< <_<

3 steps mate..look @ the throttle..its smaller n ugly than a vti..(hope u know vtec e go as eti), look @ the meter panel.. rrpm only upto 8...look @ the back seat..its just flt without any head reast or arm rest..if all this been changed..u can chk the tag(eti )..but easyly aprat from all drive it n u will feel the diff... <_< <_<

This is what I was lukin fr ;)

Thanks a lot for the info dude :)

I had a Civic EG8 Eti and I loved that car. It used to do around 11km/l in city and about 13-14 outstations. How is the fuel consumption of a Vti?

ETi is the economy oriented version, VTi is the performance oriented version featuring VTEC on Civic EGs, so you can assume the rest :D

nomate easyly 10-11kml city n 13-14 outstaton.the power is more on top end cos the vti gearbox is a killer ,there r cars with the chiped ecu wich do more fuel too zakie is the best guy to explain the tec terams.im just telling wht i fell in using eg8's

Assuming that the VTi is powered by a D15B, it should have 2 vtec solenoids. You can check the number of solenoids as well to identify the models.

Assuming that the VTi is powered by a D15B, it should have 2 vtec solenoids. You can check the number of solenoids as well to identify the models.

But only one solenoid is found on normal EG Vtecs right? Only 3rd stage Vtec has two afaik....

But only one solenoid is found on normal EG Vtecs right? Only 3rd stage Vtec has two afaik....

Yes, you are right. 3-stage vtec was introduced in the D15B found in the EK series (Vi and ViRS) and is not available in EG Civics. So the number of solenoids wont be a unique identifier. <_<

Edited by Optimus Prime

• 2 weeks later...