• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Guru's, Please Help Me To Buy My First Car

star99

I would not worry too much over numberplate issue... there are plenty of english plated cars that are much worse than certain 18, 19, 300, 301 plated cars so it all depends on how the machine was looked after...

I drive a AE100 sprinter and i can tell you from my experience during car hunting days that even older toyotas like mine sells pretty fast and sellers rarely budge from their quoted prices cos they know somehow they can get their price if car is in good shape....

Yeah Ripper is absolutely correct. Dont worry about the number plate issue bro. Its only a common myth that many Sri Lankans have in their heads. :action-smiley-060: As an example, there are some cars with late 301, 302 number plates which nearly missed the English numbers because they were registered just 3 or 4 days before government implemented the English number plate system. So logically speaking, if we take an example of 2 corollas with same manufacture year, one registered with late 301 number plates and the other with GA series number plate. Does that mean the 301 corolla is used heavily and GA corolla is driven hardly? No, the number plate issue is not a matter of concern as long as the car is in good condition. Sometimes you may find hardly used cars with old number plates which are lot more better than same aged English number cars. Condition of a car is always dependent on how frequently it is used (here mileage is not the only indicator of condition. Cars paintwork, noises that you notice in a test ride are better hints for you to judge a car's actual condition). And how many brand new conditioned Audis, BMWs are there in colombo with 300 number plates ?

And as opposed to "like new" cars with old number plates, there are also old cars with new number plates. As an example, on the road I have seen many old AE110 corollas, carina's, marchs with "K series" number plates. Even one of my friends has a AE110 non crystal light older model car with a "KG" series number plate just because he has registered it 2 months ago. As long as you keep a 1960s Volkswagen Beetle in your garage without registering it, it is considered as "unregistered" and today you can go to RMV and register that and get a KH, KJ, KK series number plate. Just like that.

In my opinion, as long as you are buying a car to use it for more than two years, you dont have to worry about the number plate (Whether its new or old) bcos if you buy a old numbered car then you could use those saved few thousands of money, which you would have spent on buying a same aged, same conditioned English numbered car, to pump some petrol or do some repairs that comes day to day (running repairs I mean) and drive happily. By two years you would almost cover the depreciation value of an old car so nothing to worry. I dont know why some people are ready to spent even additional one lak rupees just to buy a normal car with an English number plate. Sri Lankan car market behaves absolutely strange!!!!!!!!!! :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048:

Hope you got my point and wish you a happy car hunting.

Edited by Car Maniac

Well a single person who works with me bought a FB15 and after discovering it only does 8KMPL changed all the filters and wanted to know what to do next. - I asked the guy why didnt you buy a two door hatch back.

The sri lankans are of the opinin that the car should be a four door saloon(like FB 15!!).

If you want a fuel efficent car it should be in good condition and with the correct weight & engin ratio.

& check that it has all the features you want.

The resale value only affects the car twice, when you buy and sell for every other kilometer done in between you should not suffer.

In my opinion, as long as you are buying a car to use it for more than two years, you dont have to worry about the number plate (Whether its new or old) bcos if you buy a old numbered car then you could use those saved few thousands of money, which you would have spent on buying a same aged, same conditioned English numbered car, to pump some petrol or do some repairs that comes day to day (running repairs I mean) and drive happily. By two years you would almost cover the depreciation value of an old car so nothing to worry. I dont know why some people are ready to spent even additional one lak rupees just to buy a normal car with an English number plate. Sri Lankan car market behaves absolutely strange!!!!!!!!!! :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048:

Hope you got my point and wish you a happy car hunting.

Thanks a lot Car Maniac. I got your point :rolleyes:

Well a single person who works with me bought a FB15 and after discovering it only does 8KMPL changed all the filters and wanted to know what to do next. - I asked the guy why didnt you buy a two door hatch back.

roadhog - was this a Auto car? Is this driven in city? As far as i know (from forum posts i have read here) FB 15 Auto is quite horrible in fuel economy with 7-8 km/l (city) while FB 15 manual is kind of acceptable with around 10km/l (city)

Guys, When i goto inspect the car,

1. how do i know whether it is subjected to corrosion?

2. Any engine troubles?

3. how to check if milage is genuine

Give me some tips :unsure:

roadhog - was this a Auto car? Is this driven in city? As far as i know (from forum posts i have read here) FB 15 Auto is quite horrible in fuel economy with 7-8 km/l (city) while FB 15 manual is kind of acceptable with around 10km/l (city)

2. Any engine troubles?

Dude, regarding the FB15 case, you should never expect the fuel efficiency that you get in a VVTi corolla or a 1.3 L engined car from a FB15 which has 1.5L engine as well as its doesn't have any Variable Valve Timing mechanism. If you are really worried about the fuel consumption, As far as I know, the 1.3L AE110 corolla with the manual tranny does really well on petrol so you can search for something like that (My uncle had one and this is his experience). Some guys say for a car like corolla, that 1.3L engine is bit underpowered but in my view as long as you are no concerned about racing it on track, it will be sufficient for you. As it says, you cant expect to goto the peak of maximum performance and peak of maximum fuel efficiency from one car. You must have to sacrifice one on other.

Regarding the mileage

Again the mileage is not an indication of the cars condition, same as the cars number plate. As far as I know, you can roll back the analog mileage meter so easily and even the digital meter for few more bucks. So forget about the mileage when you are inspecting a car. Instead ask the seller for maintenance records if he has any. If the seller is confident to give you the service records that means the seller is much genuine that you can trust. But I admit that not every car being sold in Sri Lanka has rolled back meters. There are some ethical sellers too. :rolleyes: As long as the car is maintained properly, bloody reliable brands like Toyotas, Nissans and ...etc. can do multiple laks of kms without any major engine trouble and running repairs are not a big matter to worry cos those are the things you could even expect in a new car after driving some kms.

By the way why not you buy a CE110 diesel corolla?

2. Any engine troubles?

Like I said

Look at maintenance records – that will give you a good idea on the repairs and the condition.

Corrosion is visible doing a tap to the body to see if it’s been potted up with potty- it’s kind of annoying for the seller as people come tapping the doors like a woodpecker

Test drive on a good bumpy road will give you some additional info on the condition-

Mileage is a waste unless u have maintenance records to prove it otherwise any 1 can change the mileage

Like I said

Look at maintenance records – that will give you a good idea on the repairs and the condition.

Corrosion is visible doing a tap to the body to see if it’s been potted up with potty- it’s kind of annoying for the seller as people come tapping the doors like a woodpecker

Test drive on a good bumpy road will give you some additional info on the condition-

Mileage is a waste unless u have maintenance records to prove it otherwise any 1 can change the mileage

thanx maz speed. I will ask for maintenance records. Also i will drive it on a bumpy road. I think i will have to learn the woodpecker act. :P

:git:

Thanks for your suggestion. I initially considered CE110, then i decided against it coz some ppl told me that Diesel cars are problematic in general...

Couple of things about CE110s. its bit harder to find CE110 Manual ones. most of the Manual ones were AWD cars (CE114). it's bit costly to maintain those complex gearboxes.

Hi guys,

I am kind of decided on Corolla AE110 Crystal Light now. Probably i would go for 97,98 or 99 model. The prices seem to be a little upperside, the 99 model goes upto 18/75!!! With my budget of 1.5 mil (max 1.6) i still should be able to afford 98 model, se saloon, MANUAL one. I guess, if i cannot afford the auto-gear, i would go for manual (coz i really don't mind about this gear type as they both hav their pros and cons)

Hi guys,

I am kind of decided on Corolla AE110 Crystal Light now. Probably i would go for 97,98 or 99 model. The prices seem to be a little upperside, the 99 model goes upto 18/75!!! With my budget of 1.5 mil (max 1.6) i still should be able to afford 98 model, se saloon, MANUAL one. I guess, if i cannot afford the auto-gear, i would go for manual (coz i really don't mind about this gear type as they both hav their pros and cons)

If i can remember there was a car at AL (AE111 - 1.6 Model) 99 manufactured.