• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Carina At212 Ti Myroad Fuel Consumption

ruwansusantha

Question

I recently bought a Toyota Carina Ti MyRoad AT212 99 Model car. It cas clocked 75 k so far. I did a tune-up with plugs, fuel filter, air filter change. The tune up was done using chemical cans without any manual work. Further, I changed engine oil, but there was a considerable amount of sludge, so I had to use a chemical to dissolve that.

The car does only around 8km/litre in city and around 11km/litre outstation even after tune-up.

The ATF is slight pink in color, but I did not change yet.(Though it should be wine red in color). I see water vapour being formed behind the silencer barrel too.

What is the normal fuel consumption experienced by owners of this car?

There is a slight oil leak, which the garage people says from the crank oil seal. Is this due to sludge, if I further remove sludge using chemicals will this resolve?(after the sludge removal in the first attempt, the oil leak reduced considerably.)

Can anyone of your Toyota Carina Owners help me/

If your carina is an automatic, 7-8 KM/l is about what you can expect in the city mate.. if it's a manual (Not a GT though) then maybe 9 to 10 in city.. The fact that it's doing 15 Outstation is evidence enough that your engine is in good nick... The radiator condition MIGHT have a slight impact because the cooling of the car isnt optimal... but you cant really be certain of that.

As to the wonderful figures claimed by those owners you mentioned... Well, they were trying to get their cars sold weren't they? It's not like they were going to sign a document stating that the cars would meet their fuel claims right? :D

:D

RE-SAYING - manual Carina AT 212 would give 10 -11 in the city

But not a manual, modified GT (but its fast, u can take corners fast, gud breaks, can giv dust to many other cars on road, SOO basically dont expect much other than that, nothing is a PACKAGE in lyf)

well again, if your really really concerned about the fuel figures, sell yours, find some other money and go for a VVT-i, and u will never complain about the ride, fuel economy or the comfort, Trust ME!

• Like 1

I recently came across a few carinas (AT 212 Ti MyRoad)made in 99/2000/ 01 whose owners claimed of them doing over 10km/l in the city.

One was unbelievably 13km/l in the city.(year 2000). All these cars were to be sold.

when I came back to my fuel figures 7-8km/l in the city and 15km/l outstation after changing plugs, fuel filter, air filter, engine oil and ATF and tune-up.

I am still trying to increase my city consumption at least to 10km/l.

Recently, when the Toyota experts checked the overall car in an inspection, the condition of the plugs were remarkable with good fuel burning.

(but i did not mention the fuel economy issue) they drove it and there weren't any mention of repair needs except for a steering rack adjustment.

but the car is having a slight oil leak probably from the crank oil seal and packings of the crankcase. the condition of the radiator is bad with a lot of rust.(Am planning to replace the radiator initially.

With all this information, and the plugs being good, do I still have to go for a ECU reset or a sensor check from the Agents? what is your opinion Carina lovers? :action-smiley-060:

hay bro if you have ,could you please send me any contact details of those car owners.([email protected])

thanks

... go for a VVT-i, and u will never complain about the ride, fuel economy or the comfort, Trust ME!

Hey Kim, would you mind sharing the fuel figures of VVT-i motor.... (I mean the Allion ) :rolleyes:

But not a manual, modified GT (but its fast, u can take corners fast, gud breaks, can giv dust to many other cars on road, SOO basically dont expect much other than that, nothing is a PACKAGE in lyf)

...& here i was thinking i was the only one who bothered with shameless guerrilla marketing on the forums these days :P

:lol:

Edited by Devinda_Z

I have seen this thread on carina fuel consumption coming up many times. So the fuel consumption must be awful. I know for a fact that this uses RAV 4 brake pads.

the engine must be a light ace and the gear box must be from a Hi Ace van etc. :rolleyes:

Dont spend so much money on an ugly old toyota.

Yo can get a pretty new car with current looks and technology for 2.2Mil. (i.e. Hionda City etc)

think outside the box quiet literally!!!

I have seen this thread on carina fuel consumption coming up many times. So the fuel consumption must be awful. I know for a fact that this uses RAV 4 brake pads.

the engine must be a light ace and the gear box must be from a Hi Ace van etc. :rolleyes:

Dont spend so much money on an ugly old toyota.

Yo can get a pretty new car with current looks and technology for 2.2Mil. (i.e. Hionda City etc)

think outside the box quiet literally!!!

well well well...when u think outside the BOX, u should always be ready to take the risks associated and 'whatever will come across 'wen never expected :rolleyes: toyota's arnt ugly anyways, and if you take a BENZ 'just knw that it is far expensive r than its worth! many risks are associated as i said..but the only thing u get is, that when u go around IN a benz, or with a benz ;) that others will give U that dman look, also the pride of Urs when u knw when u have a ONE - thats it! :D

...& here i was thinking i was the only one who bothered with shameless guerrilla marketing on the forums these days :P

:lol:

well..only god & i knw..if i have turned down enough deals when that new buyer of my babe seems to be a one who's not 'worth!! on the other hand, if someone comes around with the rite respect 2 her, then even god wont knw..'cos i only decide if i am gonna give her or not :rolleyes:

HI Ruwan

where was the tune up done. if u can not tell in the forum pls email to [email protected]

thanks

dear car owners

I thought of enlightening all on a recent improvement i experienced in my car. I did a proper tune-up 2 months

ago, and observed under various conditions before writing this.

Now my Toyota Carina AT212 Ti MyRoad, Auto,99 model car does 11km/litre in heavy traffic.if in low traffic it does

13km/litre.Long distance (Kandy Colombo) above 14km/l less than 16km/l.

My journey is from Moratuwa(Willorawatta) to Ekala and back in the evening. I start the journey by 0620hrs to reach

my work place by 0830hrs. leaves Ekala by 1630 hrs and reach Moratuwa by 1830hrs.

This is in the school and office times, mostly mixed traffic. On average two persons (including the driver)travelled in

the car.I maintain a constant speed wherever possible, max speed is around 60-70kmph.I try not to raise the RPM above 2k.

Tune-up done at S--r automobiles, Kandana, using 3M kit. They said, they particularly cleaned the idol sensor which was

covered with soot/dust.Replaced the plugs (NGK) instead of Denso.The air filter and auto gear oil is fairly new.Did not

replace the fuel filter.

I think this information would be valuable to carina owners.

HI Ruwan

where was the tune up done. if u can not tell in the forum pls email to [email protected]

thanks

Hi maikk99,

I donot know whether is it only the tune-up or the cumulative effect of all the facts. But anyway I will e-mail the details

for your convenience.

I would like to share certain other factors. I use 90 octane petrol. I switched on from Mobil to Toyota Engine oil/ Toyota

ATF oil. Before changing engine oil I used a chemical to clean the engine(remove sludge)which I bought from Arpico SuperCentre Peradeniya.(around Rs.1200) I had my car wheel balanced and wheel aligned. Recently the same garage

told me that grease has come out of left CV joint. I think they re-applied grease. I did a Coolant change/flush 6 months ago.

I had the belts, tension checked and corrected them.

As a practice I run the engine idol for around 3-4minutes before I go in mornings(Whenever engine is cold.) I always shift the gear nutral in traffics whenever the vehicle does not move for more than 1/2 minute. I have avoided running the car for shorter distances(eg; 100m)(start, go and switch-off) I have seen this reduces the fuel consumption which is obvious.

I agree with your details. I did the same thing for my AE110 manual model it gave me 17+ pl long distance when proper tuning and I did see little difference from Mobil to Toyota Engine oil performance. But when I was telling this on the forum some guys was laughing me telling how it happen and bla bla bla …………………..

I have a very recent experience(3 days ago) in going in a very heavy traffic, which took 3 and 1/2 hours to go from Ekala to Moratuwa in

an evening. The rough calculation gave me the figure 9.8km/l , which once again proves the better fuel consumption.

(two passengers in the car for half of the journey)

i usually donot refuel from older filling stations, but go for newer ones, thinking of the fact that quality of oil/ storage

of them matters for performance.