• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Beautiful Machine

xlr8r

Lovely car.... but his asking price is a tad on the high side I fear. Even for that kind of condition, It's 3 times the market rate for a karman ghia!

About a million too much I think.

may be that's why he's selling it. hoping to cash in on a big profit. its this sort of mentality that has ruined the sri lankan car market

The name "Weerasinghe" should ring some bells ha ha...owned by a well known personality.... :rolleyes: awaiting a comment from UK ;)

Owners went through a very dedicated time ,carefully restoring this machine and undoubtedly the best of all Karmanns in SL.

MINIACE

AFAIK there are two karmanghias with the same owner... the other one is better than this. If i'm not mistaken interior is way better than this..

The name "Weerasinghe" should ring some bells ha ha...owned by a well known personality.... :rolleyes: awaiting a comment from UK ;)

Owners went through a very dedicated time ,carefully restoring this machine and undoubtedly the best of all Karmanns in SL.

MINIACE

Guys,

After a restoration like this, you cannot really put a value to the time and dedication spent on it.

I too have seen the car and its a beauty.

I am sure someone will buy it, as to restore something like this nowadays its gonna cost more !

I think we should stop talking about the price he is asking , and admire the car. :) (IMHO) only

I wish I get my project also to that standard someday.......hmmmmm wishful sigh :)

may be that's why he's selling it. hoping to cash in on a big profit. its this sort of mentality that has ruined the sri lankan car market

I think Pradfred has a point. Although I do believe it is a mill too much.....the time, sweat and effort that needs to go into a restoration to achieve a result like this is unbelievable (I'm talking from my own experiences). Forget the prices of imported spares and that the prices of raw materials like steel and paint are increasing each day as a result of our runaway inflation. The axiety caused by delays and the running around to get things done.....you really find it hard to put a price on.

Lots of folk here (and I thought like this some time back as well) must be thinking "Huh who's the crazy idiot to pay 3 mill or even two for this car, when we can pick up a rough one for about 500k and spend another 5 and get it into this shape?" But it does not work like that in my experience. There is always more than what you expect. Oh I just remembered how much the customs have ripped me off when I import spares. They extort money from you unless you know someone.

And then when its all done (and sometimes before) you want to personalize it do little little extra stuff to make your car stand out. For example this guy has got a set of Fuchs on. That must've cost quite a bit. And that adds so much to the car.

As any Classic car mag will confirm the best advice is it's far better to pay extra for all the hard work to be carried out by the previous owner :lol:

And it's worse for us Sri Lankans with sucha limited choice of availability. No one can suddenly decide tomorrow that he wants to a Datsun 240Z or an E-type Jag for example. The few that are around are cherished by their owners and they won't part with them.

So if I had a budget of 2m (I dont) and I was crazy about and have always dreamt a Karmann Ghia (I'm not), I would go and make this guy an offer as it would probably be the best KG in town. :)

• 2 months later...
Any idea how much this will be really worth?

i' of the view that a VW Beetle in Drag ( be it a very very pretty dress) just can Not be worth over 2 million...

the other car looks better imo, on the simple basis that is was rather original considering the odd 911 lights n rims on this :(

Edited by Devinda_Z