• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

O/d Gure Not Working

Kasuncp

Question

Hi Guys,

Finally I figured that my Vehicle's O/D Gure is not working. Sometimes its working and some times its not. My car is a KIA Spectra 2001. Yesterday I went to Benthota. While going to benthota is was not working but when i'm coming back it worked for some time and went off. I got to know this from the RPM of the vehicle.

What will be the problem? Any ideas guys?

Regards,

Kasun

Edited by Kasuncp

9 answers to this question

Any Idea on this guys. What will be wrong? My O/D Gere is not working.

Regards,

Kasun

um i'm not sure about this but the problem may be the throttle position sensor(TPS) not working,I have seen korean cars that had their TPS broken not shifting to second gear and not going above 20kmph,anyway the best thing is to consult an expert on this,don't go and replace the gear box immediately because some guy says so,it may be just a small problem.good luck.

Try Agents? (KIA is Hyundai Owned brand, so Hyundai Lanka should help you with that, i suppose!)

KIA has a fully functioning well established agency in Sri Lanka.

Car Plan who handle KIA are located on Union Place.

Its a big showroom and service centre , hard to miss - its just before the colour lights near Access tower - directly opposite SL Insurance.

Its the same compound as Colonial Motors

Yesterday I Went about 20 KM without working the O/D. It was Dead at that time. after that I went to the Garage. On the way to Garage It was working Fine. Then with the Mechanic I Tried to show him. Again it was working fine. While I Come home it was working Fine. The Mechanic said, Lets check the wire Line from the Gere Shift to the Gere Box. after that if its not working Lets Clean the Rottle Body. Whats your Ideas guys. I Have a small clue. I went to Benthota and came back (150 KM) Can some thing happen good to the Grer Box with that distance. now the gere shifting also good. I changed the ATF also last august. Without O/D when im driving about 80 KMh My RPM Was 3000. Yesterday I went about 90KMh they the RMP was 2000.

Can anyone gess what has happen to this. Please I need your help.

Regards,

Kasun

Yesterday I Went about 20 KM without working the O/D. It was Dead at that time. after that I went to the Garage. On the way to Garage It was working Fine. Then with the Mechanic I Tried to show him. Again it was working fine. While I Come home it was working Fine. The Mechanic said, Lets check the wire Line from the Gere Shift to the Gere Box. after that if its not working Lets Clean the Rottle Body. Whats your Ideas guys. I Have a small clue. I went to Benthota and came back (150 KM) Can some thing happen good to the Grer Box with that distance. now the gere shifting also good. I changed the ATF also last august. Without O/D when im driving about 80 KMh My RPM Was 3000. Yesterday I went about 90KMh they the RMP was 2000.

Can anyone gess what has happen to this. Please I need your help.

Regards,

Kasun

Take your car to Car Plan Kasun and tell them to run a diagnostic on your vehicle and check the Gearbox ECU. Often these type of temperamental problems are down to electronic issues rather than mechanical ones. I think in this generation the gear change is electronically controlled, and the ECU holds a number of profiles which decide at which point the OD kicks in (I'm not 100% sure about your particular model). This might give you a clue as to what is wrong with your car.

Thanks Don and others for the Valuable Replies. This Saturaday Im hoping to go on a Trial Run again about 20 KM. After that if the issue is still their Im going to take the car to Diagnasis. Will that help me? Can it be a Electric Issue. Cant it be a mechanical Issue. By doing a Diognasis can we identify a Mechanical Issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Kasun

Thanks Don and others for the Valuable Replies. This Saturaday Im hoping to go on a Trial Run again about 20 KM. After that if the issue is still their Im going to take the car to Diagnasis. Will that help me? Can it be a Electric Issue. Cant it be a mechanical Issue. By doing a Diognasis can we identify a Mechanical Issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Kasun

Everything depends on how sophisticated the ECU of your gear box is. If it has a data log function it will help the technician determine if something went wrong and at what point. It would also let him know if various sensors etc are functioning and their readings are within acceptable parameters. A lot of Korean vehicles seem to have an issue with the throttle position sensor which plays a part in determining which gear profile to use. So I think the best thing for you to do is to take the car to carplan and get them to run a diagnostic and then give you a report. It should cost in the region of 2000, and its best you get it done sooner rather than later.

You should only think about other options if that draws a blank ....... it is possible that the engineers at Car plan might already have an idea what the issue is. To be honest your issue sounds more electronic than mechanical. Electronic diagnosis systems can help identify mechanical problems as well as the readings from sensors could be used to isolate a problem.