• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda 323 Hatchbacks...

N@visport

Hey everyone out there! :dance3:

This is officially my first post on autolanka.

I do go through alot of the forum topics though and they have enlightened me in many ways.Thanks everyone for showing true Sri Lankan motorist comradeship!

I wanna get your thoughts on this....who here is a fan of the Mazda 323 hatchback?

I'm talking of course about the 2000 and newer models...the BJ5Ws to be specific.(Even the older cars have their own style) But I think these cars can be admired a little closer.

These are very sporty cars in my opinion and it's a shame they are not as popular when it comes to 2nd hand markets. (could be a good thing :D )

I own a 2001 hatchback and she is my pride and joy! The cars have solid driving experience handling-wise and power-wise am I right? And comfort-wise they are excellent! (uhm..maybe not as soft a suspension as Toyota's but still wipes the floor clean ya!)

Whenever I see another hatch drive past me I'm always one to admire(not in a envious way of course) I just think that these cars have a very prominent and select "allure" about them.

I just wanted to bring out this topic in the hopes of discussing these cars with more hot-hatch enthusiasts out there :)

They do have VVT engines...whats the difference in performance between the Toyota VVT and the Mazda?(Does Toyota's 'intelligent' part meant that they are more technologically advanced or just a trade mark?Coz I find the Mazda 1.5 engine just as smooth, quiet and does have quite a refined pickup...and definitely a close, if not superior competitor with the Toyota.

Looking forward to hearing from the Mazda/Ford owners club about this.

the only hatch I like from mazda is the astina,great little car with a big boy attitude,and this is coming from a person who doesn't like hatchbacks at all

apart from that the only mazda's I like are the one's with rotary engines but even I have to admit the new 3 is a stunner...

Whenever I see another hatch drive past me I'm always one to admire(not in a envious way of course) I just think that these cars have a very prominent and select "allure" about them.

I just wanted to bring out this topic in the hopes of discussing these cars with more hot-hatch enthusiasts out there :)

I'm a hot hatch enthusiast, but tend to favor Nissans. Was there a hot hatch made to beat the wonder of the Pulsar GTiR?

One of the Mazda club boys has a 323 hatch as well, I'm sure he'll comment shortly.

We owned a Mazda 323 Interpaly '93 hatchback abour 2 years back. I still love that car.... It was great to drive but not the best with fuel. Actually we didn't care on the fuel part of it since it drove so well.

The hatches after 2000 also look great... In process of convincing my bro to buy one :D

well well.. so helrazaor u like astinas.. well personlly i have been having my astina for over 6 years now.. yes thats right six years.. i agree with the hatch concept.. totally un modified it will still give u around 115HP, thats great for a street hatch.. and hanlding wise i have done a few mods to mine so cant really comment on the standard.. but i have dusted a few hondas, and i loved it... unfortunatly the SL folks dont seem to have the same enthusisum towards mazdas.. thats a shame <_< ..

and yes where is our friendly negighbourhood 323 hatch owner guru...

by the way n@visport.. have u joined the MFOC YET... the older modles of course were sotck and didnt have VVT or anything for that matter.. but i think more than toyota hondas are the ones flonting the V-TEC in style.. after all vvti, Mivec, they are all the same in differnt names...

the only hatch I like from mazda is the astina,great little car with a big boy attitude,and this is coming from a person who doesn't like hatchbacks at all

apart from that the only mazda's I like are the one's with rotary engines but even I have to admit the new 3 is a stunner...

just thought i will post my ride..

publication1cq8.th.jpgthpix.gif

thpix.gif

Edited by charitha19

We owned a Mazda 323 Interpaly '93 hatchback abour 2 years back. I still love that car.... It was great to drive but not the best with fuel. Actually we didn't care on the fuel part of it since it drove so well.

The hatches after 2000 also look great... In process of convincing my bro to buy one :D

Way to go Dinosh - :D can put my 2 cents if needed :D

hey that's one cool astina charitha,I like the bodykit and the paint job.....yeah I have always loved astinas,I still look twice when one passes me by.

thanks bro.. what i say is if u have the cash to maintain a car u can ride it for a long time.. mines done over 300,000 now.. it has its joint and suspension troubles.. but what car doesnt in our roads... :action-smiley-060:

Hi N@visport – welcome

So ur one of the lucky guys to own a Hatch. I drive a 323 Sadan YOM 2000 but Hatch was my initial search but didn’t find one that was in good condition or at the right price.

Yes We SL’s have a funny attitude towards Hatches Specially Mazda - Can’t seem to understand. Astina was one of my dream cars but never had the pleasure of owning 1 – so ended up with an Interplay with absolutely no regrets – No regret with the 323 I have now.

There are some models with Triptronic & 4 disk – Although we don’t seem them here in SL – there are Turbo versions in the US & UK

http://www.club323f.com/content/bj/cars/

Unfortunately don’t have direct comparison with a Toyota- VVTI but Toyota does well on Fuel with VVTI opposed to Mazda

Fuel is important but there should be a limit There is a saying in Sinhala (Hope it comes out right) ea ea Banis walata ea ea Kehel

All in all the Matches are great – Especially the 4 door Mazda’s

Join da Club - we need all the help we can get :rolleyes:

Hi,

Welcome to AL..!

I own a 2001 Familia Hatch, 1500cc manual, very happy with it.. :) have two cars in our family. The other is a Familia 4WD, 1500c manual, with all 4 disk brakes. The latter is bit slow on the straight, but will dust you on a winding road. Drove it once to N'eliya... and I must say, 4WD traction is great..!

The US version is awesome.. goes as 'Protege' with a 2000cc engine + turbo. Checked out a few cars while I was there a few months back, and felt like crying when I saw a the prices.. Trying to source out a protege engine but no luck yet. Managed to get my hands on a set of guages though.. from ebay.

Let's meet up sometime and compare machines and thoughts..! glad to find a Hatch fan.

Cheers.

i owned a Mazda 323 RS 2001.........

PROS

most enjoyable car i have ever driven ( trust me )

most powerful 1500cc car i have ever driven (130 bhp)

beautiful and responsive VVTI engine

Super Handling and Braking

looked great

interior was extremely comfy and sporty

did really well on petrol even when constantly reved upto red range...

CONS

i just cannot believe i sold it.............

i owned a Mazda 323 RS 2001.........

PROS

most enjoyable car i have ever driven ( trust me )

most powerful 1500cc car i have ever driven (130 bhp)

beautiful and responsive VVTI engine

Super Handling and Braking

looked great

interior was extremely comfy and sporty

did really well on petrol even when constantly reved upto red range...

CONS

i just cannot believe i sold it.............

Ha ha... I think I know that car..!

The White with JR- plates ?? the 2nd owner claimed it was owned by you.. I had paid for mine when I stumbled upon yours..! Sad I missed it.

So nice to see some hatchback fans!!

Well here are some specs of my car..

It's Got 4 disks, 4 airbags, Manual, 1.5L VVT engine (130 horsepower as the spec says) Factory fitted Strut bar, sporty black interior and all these add up some pretty happy driving! My dad recently bought it a touch screen DVD player to compliment the interior.

Tell me if this is the same model as you owned Velocity... It's got the "new face" as we all call it ya. :lol:

I'm a BIG fan of Astinas as well...They are manufactured from 89 to 94 as I understand..? very stylish cars still....and comes with some sporty interior options as well...I would always prefer that to a starlet..

NICE ride Charith19!!

BTW, has anyone installed cone air filter to their rides? I was thinking of saving up and getting one. The cold air intakes cost a bunch at round 35K ya! Was thinking of just the ram+decent make cone air filter...anyone with experience as to whether or not that's good for the engine?As in do these come with air flow sensors?

I'll upload some pics of it...managed to put one on..check it out...

Cheers everyone!

http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00643aw5.jpg

Hi N@visport – welcome

So ur one of the lucky guys to own a Hatch. I drive a 323 Sadan YOM 2000 but Hatch was my initial search but didn’t find one that was in good condition or at the right price.

Yes We SL’s have a funny attitude towards Hatches Specially Mazda - Can’t seem to understand. Astina was one of my dream cars but never had the pleasure of owning 1 – so ended up with an Interplay with absolutely no regrets – No regret with the 323 I have now.

There are some models with Triptronic & 4 disk – Although we don’t seem them here in SL – there are Turbo versions in the US & UK

http://www.club323f.com/content/bj/cars/

Unfortunately don’t have direct comparison with a Toyota- VVTI but Toyota does well on Fuel with VVTI opposed to Mazda

Fuel is important but there should be a limit There is a saying in Sinhala (Hope it comes out right) ea ea Banis walata ea ea Kehel

All in all the Matches are great – Especially the 4 door Mazda’s

Join da Club - we need all the help we can get :rolleyes:

Whoa those are some of the coolest Hatches I've seen to date! Seriously tricked out! All of them are 2.0 L engines ya...sigh..Lucky buggers!lol! Sadly we have NO ONE in Sri Lanka who is willing to dabble in tuning Mazdas like this ya...They would really make a good business here... Thanks for the link Mazdaspeed!

I'll upload some pics of it...managed to put one on..check it out...

Cheers everyone!

http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00643aw5.jpg

I WANT YOUR CAR :violent-smiley-030:

Just kidding :D

The cone filter is a controversial subject – Some say by fitting in a cone the air flow sensor gets damaged and that pretty expensive but I’ve seen US models with code fitted through the air flow sensor - the dirt in out county does not help

Was informed that a K & N box will be a good option – but not tried it as yet. Any other members in AL fitted a cone to a Mazda ?????

Hey all....just a couple more pics...am I showing off??lol! Please dont think of it like that k.

I just wanna know who else has the same model....I love this car!

http://img117.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc006401wj5.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc006452lh2.jpg

http://img352.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc006863kz5.jpg

http://img79.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00638ja0.jpg