• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Turbo Trouble

john cooper

Question

Hello Friends,

My van is Mitsubishi Delica (P25) 4WD Model with 4D56 Turbo engine, in my van turbo unit EGR line is close by using a metal plate and all the Dialprum lines also closed by using the bicycle balls :angry-smiley-048: . i had recently seen this but the sound of the turbo is coming nicely from 1500RPM .anyway now i get know the person who sold me this van has cheated me nicely :violent-smiley-099: . pls tell me friends what is this and how to solve this :unsure:

thank you,

JC

Edited by john cooper

9 answers to this question

Hello Friends,

My van is Mitsubishi Delica (P25) 4WD Model with 4D56 Turbo engine, in my van turbo unit EGR line is close by using a metal plate and all the Dialprum lines also closed by using the bicycle balls :angry-smiley-048: . i had recently seen this but the sound of the turbo is coming nicely from 1500RPM .anyway now i get know the person who sold me this van has cheated me nicely :violent-smiley-099: . pls tell me friends what is this and how to solve this :unsure:

thank you,

JC

contact mr. D.M.M. Dassanayaka if you can.

Hi,

Blanking out the EGR has little effect if your turbo is ok. When the EGR is faulty the loss of pressure causes the vehicle to loose power and emit excessive smoke from the exhaust. Blanking it off will only remove those symptoms and restore power, it will cause higher NOX emmisions due to higher combustion chamber temperatures but little other harmful effects.If your turbo whines which is not un common on these it may not be faulty, just a little worn, I presume you bought a second had used vehicle, it will not be in a like new condition. Before too many conclusions are thaught of make sure the noise is not from a split hose, pipe or a leak at the inter cooler, in the intake system. These are a lot more common than a faulty turbo. Turbo's are fairly straight forward mechanical turbines and have very few parts that break, and a damage turbine blade will not last long without the whole unit failing due to the speeds at which it spins, and a turbo less turbo car is pretty hard to drive due to the seriously low pulling power.

So get some one who knows the engine type look at it, the EGR is not so important, but it will be better if you can restore it to working order, sometimes all you need to do is clean the valve throughly to remove soot and gunge to restore it to working order.

Maithri.

Hi,

Blanking out the EGR has little effect if your turbo is ok. When the EGR is faulty the loss of pressure causes the vehicle to loose power and emit excessive smoke from the exhaust. Blanking it off will only remove those symptoms and restore power, it will cause higher NOX emmisions due to higher combustion chamber temperatures but little other harmful effects.If your turbo whines which is not un common on these it may not be faulty, just a little worn, I presume you bought a second had used vehicle, it will not be in a like new condition. Before too many conclusions are thaught of make sure the noise is not from a split hose, pipe or a leak at the inter cooler, in the intake system. These are a lot more common than a faulty turbo. Turbo's are fairly straight forward mechanical turbines and have very few parts that break, and a damage turbine blade will not last long without the whole unit failing due to the speeds at which it spins, and a turbo less turbo car is pretty hard to drive due to the seriously low pulling power.

So get some one who knows the engine type look at it, the EGR is not so important, but it will be better if you can restore it to working order, sometimes all you need to do is clean the valve throughly to remove soot and gunge to restore it to working order.

Maithri.

thank you machan, if we remove intake hose and then i can see the turbo turbine is turning but sylance gate is not opening cos they block the valve and other valves too so i didn't try to remove it ill try it in this week my idea is turbo turbine is working and the problem is at lines :blink: is that correct????????????????

You know JC, this might explain your overheating problem as well according to Maithri. If I'm not mistaken your vehicle recently had a serious engine problem did it not ? Did you manage to get that sorted ?

yes DON u a correct but i think that cos of something else, they did da mistake machan

thanx pal

Hi

Whatever else is blanked off make sure the turbo wastegate vaccum pipe is clear, the wastegate is really strong and requires a strong vaccum to operate, so no blocked activating pipes! The EGR is different,by the way if possible get it to work as well.

Maithri

Hello Friends,

thank you,

JC

Has he cheated u???? :rolleyes: Is it so Sheran???? How can u tell he cheated u ??? Pls come online. We wont ask you the balance Rs.14500 For the repair of the van . More than money frindship is valuable, so dont worry we wont ask for the money.

D

EGR is not a big concern. Just make sure that the wastegate is not bleeding off. If the wastegate is bled off you will encounter an o v e rboost situation. People often do this to increase boost but at the expense of the turbo life. Make sure there are no cracks on the vacuum line leading into the wastegate and the actuator diaphragm is not leaking. From your description, looks like someone already modified the turbo to run more boost than what it was out of the factory.

You can do a low tech inspection of your turbo to make sure you don't have too much shaft play and the turbo is in good shape.

Remove the intake pipe leading into the turbo compressor side and inspect the turbo. Hold the center of the shaft that bolts onto the compressor wheel with two fingers and see if you can move it back an forth and up and down. There should be a very small movement back and forth but not up and down. If the shaft is moving up and down, you turbo is shot. While you're there make sure the turbo spins smoothly without any binding or resistance.

Edited by Mani