• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mra Sevanagala Rally 2008

MADZ

Janaka may have won the rally if he had stayed on track. He didn't finish 2 stages and taking the penalties (plus the slowest class times) really hurt him. I think he ended up winning more stages that Aravinda did, but then again, after he secured a comfortable overall lead, AP may have just conserved his car.

However, on the final stage, both Aravinda and Janaka just went for it, with nothing to gain and everything to lose (especially for AP) - the result was the fastest stage times in the rally and the highest average speeds. It was brilliantly competitive, head-to-head stuff - Janaka did a 6:56 and Aravinda a 6:59. It must be said that most of the drivers were willing to run MORE stages, it was that much fun for them.

I think (and hope) that for the MRA Pelwatte Rally 2009 at the end of January we have more participants - plenty of others who came to watch expressed an interest in entering that, so I hope those promises come to fruition. There was always plenty of action on this rally, lots of funny (and not-so-funny) stories and epic moments. One memory that I won't forget is standing in the gloom and drizzle behind Reyaz Farouk's car at the start of SS3 when he turned on his Anti-Lag System: it was as if gunshots were being fired, flames were spouting form the exhaust, and the deafening sound was forcing mivec.turbo (our starter) to mime the 10 second countdown because there was no way Reyaz and Srio could hear him over the crackling gunfire. Utterly spectacular.

The Pajero Evolution did well (top 5 on SS1 and SS2) until Deepthi went into a canal on some seriously buttery mud behind the Sevanagala factory. He told me that he had almost extricated himself when Nigel Perera went off at the same place, hit him and sent him all the way back in. :) Frustratingly for Deepthi, the gathered spectators were able to push Nige out and he completed the stage in reasonable time (considering how bad it could have been). Unfortunately, the effort of trying to get out of the canal fried the Pajero's clutch and just after the start of SS5 Deepthi parked it and retired from the rally. Janaka's second off was at this exact same place when we ran the stage in reverse direction. The pictures are on the Sevanagala Rally ##### page, if anybody is interested.

man this seems to have been a lot of fun...

Btw do you guys know if there's anything like this in the near future.. not necessarily a large scale one.. but maybe for amateurs with not so fast cars to take part in for the fun of it....

i believe the CMSC rally would fall into that category with both pro's and novies going at it in seperate categories

another AL forum member made it to the podium in that :)

stage in reverse direction. The pictures are on the Sevanagala Rally ##### page, if anybody is interested.

ooohh right that makes sense then!

i was rather confused as to why there was this one picture of a mini heading in one direction at one corner whilst all the images before n after had the cars heading had been travelling in exactly the opposite! :lol:

actually the red one went for a lot cheaper.. it was in the 2.5 mil range..

mahinda i hear is now quoting in the 4 mil range for his.

as for driving next time, i think i'll sit back and navigate a few more times before taking the plunge just to get the hang of it all.

Red one?? as in the one raced was originally Red & not repainted??

the one at M.I i distinctly recall being white on a 300/1- plate (4343 ? :unsure: )

how many Pajero Evo's are there again??

Yunikon - Yellow & Blue livery

New Multi Auto Works - Udahamulla - White with stickers

??

??

Kelaniya car sale (Silver) - unsure as to whether or not this is a proper Pajero Evo :unsure:

BTW fuzzo, its pretty good that you guys finished that well, some of my office guys was asking as to how the D/cab would have fared and when I said 5th he was amazed. I know that the next guy in T&J class has a well prepared Pajero sWB which I have seen at Thissa and Foxhill.

we finished 6th machan :)

funny thing is that I had never noticed that pajero before...or ever seen one like it before. but that thing is quick.

Red one?? as in the one raced was originally Red & not repainted??

the one at M.I i distinctly recall being white on a 300/1- plate (4343 ? :unsure: )

how many Pajero Evo's are there again??

Yunikon - Yellow & Blue livery

New Multi Auto Works - Udahamulla - White with stickers

??

??

Kelaniya car sale (Silver) - unsure as to whether or not this is a proper Pajero Evo :unsure:

the one that raced was originally mivecs and was white. this was the one MI had.

I only know of 2 other paj evo's and that is the yunikon one and the silver one at the kelaniya sale. don't know of the one in udahamulla. is that still there?

funny thing is that I had never noticed that pajero before...or ever seen one like it before. but that thing is quick.

It was there for sometime macho. Its a Turbo Diesel (it ran the Diesel Turbo category in thissa) and yeah with that sorta light body it should be quick with all mods on. If I'm not mistaken he came something like 3rd or something in Jeep Turbo event at Foxhill this april.

But respect should go to you and your friend for placing ahead of race prepared machinery.

It was there for sometime macho. Its a Turbo Diesel (it ran the Diesel Turbo category in thissa) and yeah with that sorta light body it should be quick with all mods on. If I'm not mistaken he came something like 3rd or something in Jeep Turbo event at Foxhill this april.

But respect should go to you and your friend for placing ahead of race prepared machinery.

It's actually a 3-litre petrol. It ran T&J Open at Tissa if I remember correctly.

the one that raced was originally mivecs and was white. this was the one MI had.

I only know of 2 other paj evo's and that is the yunikon one and the silver one at the kelaniya sale. don't know of the one in udahamulla. is that still there?

i went in there to check for some Land Rover bits or to check a vehicle nearly a year ago...

when i asked if they would sell they said they wanted to race it - interior was stripped , roll cage was in place

it also had set of smallish steel wheels

Livery was a bit more fruity than the normal Rally Art sticker motif

hey wel done fuzzo mate .....congradz ..... and by the way i haeard some goof ball was making some problems at the strating line ... a local dood ..frm the area i think ... what was al that abt ...

It's actually a 3-litre petrol. It ran T&J Open at Tissa if I remember correctly.

Are sure machang, cos I remember very well that he ran the T&J open as well as the Diesel category in Thissa and remember him complaining of not being able to match the pace of Sheran's 90. He ran both events that Sheran ran his 90 so it has to be Diesel.

when i asked if they would sell they said they wanted to race it - interior was stripped , roll cage was in place

it also had set of smallish steel wheels

Livery was a bit more fruity than the normal Rally Art sticker motif

then i think this must have been the same one as the one in MI.

Both those belong to Mahinda. He owns the Kelaniya sale and Yunikon

right makes sense, but i've gotta aski, what use does one man have for TWO pajero evo's?! :lol:

Madmax any idea what the asking on the silver one it?? :huh:

I checked it out once in 2006/2007. Can't remember the price though.