• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice For New Drivers

carnuwan1

hi

this topic may sound really stupid but i need some help

i am a new driver ,,, our family never had a car untill i got one after several years once i got job :unsure:

i learnt to drive from a LEARNERS :violent-smiley-030:

AND GOT SOME HELP FRFOM FRIENDS :unsure::jumping-smiley-013:

BUT THEY SAY different advice on the same matter :blink::action-smiley-060:

for example some say to keep in first gear in traffic lights others say to keep it neutral :mellow:

can YOU GUYS START A COLUMN GIVING ADVICE to rookies like us over the technical details on driving , car maintains and practical points

APPRECIATE YOUR ANSWERS :rolleyes:

THANK YOU

nuwan

welll like elvis says, u have to be more specific on what advice u need.. unless its one of those very quick lights. dont think keeeping it on first gear is a good idea mate.. just put it in neutral, handbrake for safety sake, and relax untill u get the amber light.

be warned anything u do in SL as a driver might not be legal in any other country... because our land is like no other.. :P

IF U ARE IN NEUTRAL POSITION, you can relax your foot. Other wise you have to keep the clutch down. that is it.

dont forget to keep ur right foot on brake or use hand brake ............ dont relax ur both foot

and be specific, we dont know what u wanna know exacltly

IF U ARE IN NEUTRAL POSITION, you can relax your foot. Other wise you have to keep the clutch down. that is it.

Its not only about relaxing the legs. There is a small amount of drag even if you keep the clutch down. Specially in the first gear.

Its not only about relaxing the legs. There is a small amount of drag even if you keep the clutch down. Specially in the first gear.

Found this on internet;

MANUAL TRANSMISSION DRIVING TIPS

TO EXTEND THE SERVICE LIFE OF YOUR NEW CLUTCH

1. Do not rest your foot on the clutch pedal. Pressure applied to the clutch pedal can cause the clutch to slip and reduce the service life of the clutch release bearing.

2. Do not use the clutch to hold the vehicle on a hill. Use the vehicles brakes. Holding the vehicle on a hill with the clutch causes prolonged slipping and this will wear out the clutch prematurely.

3. Shift into neutral upon approaching stops. If traffic and road conditions permit, consider shifting into neutral and hold the vehicle with the brakes at longer interval traffic lights. When the light changes select first gear and drive away.

4. Downshifting as braking. Downshifting can be used to reduce the speed of the vehicle; however, excessive or aggressive use of downshifting can increase the wear on the clutch. Consider using the brakes and shift into a lower gear to match engine RPM’s and road speed.

5. Do not lug the engine and drivetrain. Lugging is driving in a higher gear (4th or 5th for example) when road speed requires a lower gear to correctly match the engine RPM’s to the road speed. The use of a higher gear than the engine speed and road speed requires is called lugging and creates unnecessary strains on the engine, clutch and transmission.

6. Pickup trucks must not exceed the vehicles gross vehicle weight rating. Carrying or towing excessive loads will reduce the clutch service life. The GVWR can be found on the drivers side door or pillar on the certification label.

7. Starting loaded pickup trucks in motion. If equipped with a creeper gear transmission, the lowest gear should always be used to start the truck from a standing start when loaded. Using the correct gear to start the truck moving reduces wear on the clutch.

8. Refer to your owner’s manual. Your owner’s manual will contain any required adjustment or scheduled service requirements.

Clutches, when properly used, will provide a long and trouble free service life with a minimum amount of maintenance or driver attention.

Use caution and sound judgment when driving any vehicle!

at traffic lights and in traffic...i prefer to switch from 1st to neutral more often than stay on clutch. either way when stationery i'm always on my brakes...either the pedal or the handbrake depending on situ...

another thing is not to pushdown the clutch before applying brakes...I've been told that many learners folks tell you to do this but i think the better way is to apply brakes first and then as the speed goes down, engage the appropriate gear before stalling the engine...

some tend to "rest" their left foot on the clutch pedal even when not using the clutch... Even that little pressure will have some wear on the clutch so it's always better to rest your foot on the foot rest or any other spot comfortable to you

when adjusting rear view mirrors (side mirrors) adjust them so that you're only seeing very little of the back of your car and lot more of the road behind. The setting should be setting almost a 90 degree angle between the mirror face and the car body so that you see lot more activity behind

do the routine check of all the important fluids at least once a week... I try to do it lot more often. and also battery water levels, seat belts and also see if your rear brake lights, parking lights etc too are in working order. Some folks don't realize they have burnt bulbs especially at the back for weeks

and also if it's a used car you're owning like it's the case with me...keep a check on radiator hoses. It's a pretty cheap replacement but if you bust a brittle hose far far away...you're sorta royally screwed!

I busted one of my hoses during a security check up in colombo and suffered to realize the imporance. Got all hoses replaced after that and keeping a close eye for stuff like that

Try to avoid parking under direct sunlight as much as possible. I've circled many car parks so many times looking for a shady spot. And also get those windshield covering reflector thingies to deflect sunlight when parked in the sun. Those things really help.

Dont leave your ipod and other sensitive electronic stuff in the car if it's parked in hot sun... they will die a horrible death. I've even damaged fishing lures kept in the boot pretty badly

I prefer to carry few extra fuses, belts and a torch just in case.

Make sure the spare wheel is in good shape. you wouldn't want to get a flat tire only to later find out the spare too is of no use

those are few things that come to mind... Hope it has helped you in some way :)

another thing is not to pushdown the clutch before applying brakes...I've been told that many learners folks tell you to do this but i think the better way is to apply brakes first and then as the speed goes down, engage the appropriate gear before stalling the engine...

that question appears in the written test when seeking to obtain ones license! :)

yup its the latter thats the technically correct method as you mention

at traffic lights and in traffic...i prefer to switch from 1st to neutral more often than stay on clutch. either way when stationery i'm always on my brakes...either the pedal or the handbrake depending on situ...

some tend to "rest" their left foot on the clutch pedal even when not using the clutch... Even that little pressure will have some wear on the clutch so it's always better to rest your foot on the foot rest or any other spot comfortable to you

these 3 are the most common isues, most people push the cluch first and then brakes, but if its a MT is always better to do atlest little shift down, thats the safe way, like u said its always better to neutral on the Traffic, unfortunatly i dont do it, on the cluch pedel there is a litle play, its ok to bpush the cluch little bit but not that much,

Anyway i always feel safe driving with one hand, whats the way u all like t drive ?

Anyway i always feel safe driving with one hand, whats the way u all like t drive ?

eeerrh, :action-smiley-060: i have a bad habit of keeping my right Elbow on the door panel when i drive. but, its more comfortable and relax, but i dont think its good for safe driving. :unsure:

eeerrh, :action-smiley-060: i have a bad habit of keeping my right Elbow on the door panel when i drive. but, its more comfortable and relax, but i dont think its good for safe driving. :unsure:

Yeah... I too have the same habit of keeping the elbow on door panel :angry-smiley-048: I got used to it since I had a very small car earlier. I occupied all possible space to extend and relax. Even after I changed my car, the habit 'stayed'.

Yeah... I too have the same habit of keeping the elbow on door panel :angry-smiley-048: I got used to it since I had a very small car earlier. I occupied all possible space to extend and relax. Even after I changed my car, the habit 'stayed'.

i think the idea is to hold the steering so both ur arms resemble the 10.10 position on a clock. i find it easier to do quick shifts when my seats in its rearmost position. that said its not the same with the steering wheel. u need to be far away yet close enough to do arm crossing manouvres.

when adjusting rear view mirrors (side mirrors) adjust them so that you're only seeing very little of the back of your car and lot more of the road behind. The setting should be setting almost a 90 degree angle between the mirror face and the car body so that you see lot more activity behind

do the routine check of all the important fluids at least once a week... I try to do it lot more often. and also battery water levels, seat belts and also see if your rear brake lights, parking lights etc too are in working order. Some folks don't realize they have burnt bulbs especially at the back for weeks

and also if it's a used car you're owning like it's the case with me...keep a check on radiator hoses. It's a pretty cheap replacement but if you bust a brittle hose far far away...you're sorta royally screwed!

I busted one of my hoses during a security check up in colombo and suffered to realize the imporance. Got all hoses replaced after that and keeping a close eye for stuff like that

Try to avoid parking under direct sunlight as much as possible. I've circled many car parks so many times looking for a shady spot. And also get those windshield covering reflector thingies to deflect sunlight when parked in the sun. Those things really help.

Dont leave your ipod and other sensitive electronic stuff in the car if it's parked in hot sun... they will die a horrible death. I've even damaged fishing lures kept in the boot pretty badly

I prefer to carry few extra fuses, belts and a torch just in case.

Make sure the spare wheel is in good shape. you wouldn't want to get a flat tire only to later find out the spare too is of no use

those are few things that come to mind... Hope it has helped you in some way :)

THANKS RIPPER :rolleyes:

IT WAS WHAT I WAS EXPECTING LIKE <_<

I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED A CAR BEFORE AND I DONT HAVE MUCH RELATIONS WHO CAN BE CALLD AS PEoPLE WHO ARE EXPERIENCED ON DRIVING :ninja:

i hope that you will be able to send in more driving tips that you would have picked up as experience :jumping-smiley-013:

the problem is i am such a big rookie on the subject i may not know what to ask specifically

hope it want be much trouble to you people at AL ;;;; i showed your response to a friend of mine and he wants to ask wether the editos of AL can start a seperate discussion column advicinc rookie drivers on the road with tips on driving properly and safely

thanks

car nuwan :mellow:

hi

this topic may sound really stupid but i need some help

i am a new driver ,,, our family never had a car untill i got one after several years once i got job :unsure:

i learnt to drive from a LEARNERS :violent-smiley-030:

AND GOT SOME HELP FRFOM FRIENDS :unsure::jumping-smiley-013:

BUT THEY SAY different advice on the same matter :blink::action-smiley-060:

for example some say to keep in first gear in traffic lights others say to keep it neutral :mellow:

can YOU GUYS START A COLUMN GIVING ADVICE to rookies like us over the technical details on driving , car maintains and practical points

APPRECIATE YOUR ANSWERS :rolleyes:

THANK YOU

nuwan

Give room, allow people who're travelling faster than you are to overtake you. If you don't give room, there's an excellent possibility that the guy behind will do something to overtake you and that 'something' might just be crazy.

And signal well before you turn, NOT as you're turining. I notice this from lots of driver who slow down and only switch on the turn signal as they are turining - the vehicle behind you won't know what you're doing. Its best to ensure that everyone behind you know what you're planning on doing. So, signal early & if you will be slowing done considerably before that, tap the brakes lightly so that the guys behind understnad that you will be slowling down shortly.

And here's something that works perfectly, if you do something wrong like cutting off someone unintentionally, raise you hand and apologize - this tends to cut any tension and prevents road rage. Smiling while you aplogize also work, specially if you're of the fairer sex.

Give room, allow people who're travelling faster than you are to overtake you. If you don't give room, there's an excellent possibility that the guy behind will do something to overtake you and that 'something' might just be crazy.

And signal well before you turn, NOT as you're turining. I notice this from lots of driver who slow down and only switch on the turn signal as they are turining - the vehicle behind you won't know what you're doing. Its best to ensure that everyone behind you know what you're planning on doing. So, signal early & if you will be slowing done considerably before that, tap the brakes lightly so that the guys behind understnad that you will be slowling down shortly.

And here's something that works perfectly, if you do something wrong like cutting off someone unintentionally, raise you hand and apologize - this tends to cut any tension and prevents road rage. Smiling while you aplogize also work, specially if you're of the fairer sex.

i have to give you some credit srajendr. if all the new drivers come to us for advice we'll have more disciplined drivers here than they do in germany :lol:

this apologizing thing must be done very clearly.....because if you do it wrong the other driver might think that it was a rude gesture...make sure the whole palm of your hand shows toward the other driver and to show all of your 32 teefs...trust me i'm speaking from personal expierience :D

this apologizing thing must be done very clearly.....because if you do it wrong the other driver might think that it was a rude gesture...make sure the whole palm of your hand shows toward the other driver and to show all of your 32 teefs...trust me i'm speaking from personal expierience :D

Haha :D:lol: True Machan,

I have done the same thing couple of time, but once, the other driver started acting like a Monkey and started showing his fingers at me :D, later on I realized that he might be miss-understood my apologizing expression.

Same way, if the other driver gives you a chance to take a turn in front of him, careful of your other side (left) while you wave on that driver (right side). Once, (In front of President College Rajagiriya) I gave a chance to a driver to pull his car in to the main road (from my left) and he just waved me (saying thank you) looking at me and he did not check the vehicles comes from his right side, guess what...., the Van came from his right side in the main road got crashed!!!!! Disaster...!!! :rolleyes:

So better make sure you are clear with roads and vehicles come before apologizing or thanking the other driver.